Author Topic: Ruby 2sday goes Ironbutting  (Read 2957 times)

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
Ruby 2sday goes Ironbutting
« on: July 10, 2016, 06:47:06 PM »
Along with a couple of other OzSTOCers, I participated in the recent IBA Australia Inaugural Muster.  Here is the report for those who don't go to those Forums.

The announcement that the Inaugural IBA Australia Muster would be in Parkes in July sent me scurrying to the keyboard to order a heated vest and gloves.  I'd read about these things and managed for years without, but this time it looked like a wise investment.  The second consideration was to avoid sub-zero temps for as long as possible, which immediately suggested doing as much of the 1600 kays as possible in the Sunshine State.  Hence the two-part structure with a loop and a tail.

Missus Biggles had moved on from eye-rolling when hearing about the plan and just wanted to know when I'd get my sleep (after my WA Ironbutt series had earned me some finger waving).  I figured an early afternoon departure for a loop up the Burnett Highway and across to the Bruce for a snack then home for a few of hours in my own cot would set me up for a cruise down Kangaroo Alley to a suitable check-in at IBAOz HQ.  No rush, time for a few pix and everyone's happy.  I'd ridden this route plenty of times, always vowing to stop for photos and always too goal oriented to get off the bike.  This time pix were in the schedule.

No caption needed there!  Continuing north to Ban Ban Springs for a fuel and corner docket and then turning east to Biggenden as the sun was setting behind me.
Mt Walsh glowed magnificently, begging to be photographed.  Hard to give it the prominence it deserves without zooming in and excluding Ruby 2.

A few years ago a group I ride with visited this private museum in Biggenden.  It's nothing special from the road (except, perhaps, a declaration of carelessness about the ownership of official signs).  But inside is an astonishing array of machinery.  To us, the room full of Douglas motorcycles (maybe 10 or more) would warrant the token entry fee.  Beyond that there is a Tiger Moth hanging above an eclectic array of farm machinery, a room full of sewing machines from every era and so on, beyond my recollection.

It was during the ride in the dusk eastbound from Biggenden that I had an NDE (Google it) when overtaking a farm ute and seeing a dark green Commodore with no lights 50 metres ahead.  That's when you go to instinctive reactions mode.  No photo!

An eminently forgettable "Angus Roll" (be warned) at the Kybong servo was a poor excuse for dinner.  Arriving home, I assured SWAMBO that I'd dined and hit the sack.  My planned three hours in bed contracted to one, ending at 10:00 with me wide awake with no reason to tarry.  Down to my usual launch servo and out through the deserted tunnels to the Cunningham highway.  The RPM rate (roos per minute) went to around 30 west of Warwick and back to zero west of Inglewood only to bounce back south of Boggabilla, my next refuelling stop.  Express then to Gilgandra with no roos in the notorious Pillaga forest or south of Coonabarabran.

You don't need to go to Arizona to see archetypical cacti- Gilgandra has plenty:

Nor is Africa or the zoo the only place to see rhinos.  It seems this colourful variety have a bit of a claim to this region, as the Elvis cousin is to be found at the Information centre in Parkes.

Arriving at the Check-in, I was intrigued to find out which one of the FarRiding crazies arrived on the scooter, but apparently it belongs to a local.

Once assured my paperwork was in order, I retired to Henry's digs for a recuperative nap preparatory to the evening's events.

For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Gadget

• UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Just Ridin'
Re: Ruby 2sday goes Ironbutting
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 06:56:41 PM »
++ NDEs are top be avoided at all costs. Glad you made it OK.  Thanks for the RR.

sent using Tapatalk

Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Then  :blu13 Now :Spyder
Life's too short to be miserable, so enjoy it! :)
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Mob: 04 2448 3555

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 08:12:14 PM »
Nice one Biggles....there is a little something missing off the new ST though  :whistle
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 08:35:03 PM »
Nice one Biggles....there is a little something missing off the new ST though  :whistle

I know, I know.  Can you send me some please?  How much are they, and can I PayPal you the money?    >:()
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 08:58:29 PM »

I know, I know.  Can you send me some please?  How much are they, and can I PayPal you the money?    >:()

:rofl Sales Dept. always at work  :rofl

PayPal or EFT $3.95ea for Large 75mm or the smaller 35mm

Let me know what Ruby 2sday wants to wear  ;-*

Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Online Wild Rose

• Toowoomba, Qld
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 09:04:36 PM »
Thanks Biggles good read and great photos  :like
Leo (Wild Rose)
Honda ST 1300
:rd13       :blk13                            :Spyder
 2002                            New 29-04-13 

Ulysses #49154
FarRider #243

Offline Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 06:45:59 AM »
Awesome RR mate, thanks for sharing :hatwave
Was the heated gloves and vest worth the money?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 06:49:23 AM by Shiney »
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2016, 12:58:22 PM »
Awesome RR mate, thanks for sharing :hatwave
Was the heated gloves and vest worth the money?

The vest was better than the gloves.  Its battery (quite large) lasted for 5+ hours.  The gloves (twin small batteries) only lasted a couple of hours, but I did have them on high- might have got much better on medium or low, but they were barely warm enough on high.  That said, they were effective while they worked, and stayed warm even after the light went out.  I now have a second set of batteries to help them last longer through a cold night.

I had eight layers on top and three on the bottom.  On top: singlet, thermal top, heated vest, flanno shirt, fleecy jacket and my OzSTOC jacket with both liners.  Bottom was thermal long-johns, kevlar jeans and rain pants.  I put Little Hotties in my boots when my toes froze and only needed one pair of them.  I had a balaclava on my head and Shoei helmet with a fog visor.  The temp was 2o all night and zero for about 15 minutes at dawn. I was snug, and the only discomfort was my toes until I stopped and put the Hotties on them.

The following users thanked this post: Shiney

Offline Farkleit

• IBA # 62002 FarRiders # 749
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2016, 10:41:57 PM »
Explain "hotties" please

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Ride it like ya Stole it.

If you need a new MC Cruise or repairs to MC Cruise message me and we'll sort it out for you.

Offline Farkleit

• IBA # 62002 FarRiders # 749
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2016, 10:43:19 PM »
As for a vest. $35 for a heated car seat cover at Autobarn easily converted to a heated jacket liner. Great value. High and low setting.!!!!!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Ride it like ya Stole it.

If you need a new MC Cruise or repairs to MC Cruise message me and we'll sort it out for you.

Offline Gadget

• Just Ridin'
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2016, 06:43:23 AM »
Little Hotties are a small packet of tiny beads which when exposed to air get very warm. Available from chemists for around $2.00 a pair.
https://www.littlehottieswarmers.com/

sent using Tapatalk

Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Then  :blu13 Now :Spyder
Life's too short to be miserable, so enjoy it! :)
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Mob: 04 2448 3555