Author Topic: ABS light blinking and TCS Off won't turn off 1999 ST 1100  (Read 3481 times)

Offline Sandman

• Back after a long break
ABS light blinking and TCS Off won't turn off 1999 ST 1100
« on: December 24, 2016, 11:01:18 PM »
I recently dropped the bike doing 5 km. Don't ask.
It ended up hanging off the edge of an embankment 45 degrees upside down. No one was hurt except for my pride and $400 for a new front indicator bits and pieces.

But now the TCN Off light won't turn off. No manner of pushing and prodding turns it off.

The ABS light (second) keeps blinking. Both lights blink and when I push the ABS warning button, the first light turns off but the second keeps blinking.
I have tried to do the diagnostic by holding the ABS button and turning on the ignition but it does not do what it's supposed to do. They both blink alternatively until I hit the warning light.
Am I doing something wrong with the diagnostic?
Has anybody else had this problem? I don't want to disconnect the light as it needs to work to get through registration, plus I'd like to know if there is a problem with the ABS.
Is it safe to ride with the ABS blinking? I'm planning a ride down to Sydney over the New Year so need to know if there is a potential issue.
Would appreciate any help or advice.
cheers  :bl11

Online Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
Re: ABS light blinking and TCS Off won't turn off 1999 ST 1100
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2016, 09:10:01 AM »
I had a look around the net and came across the info below:

Error Code Retrieval Procedure:

1. Turn the ignition switch OFF.

2. Turn the ignition switch ON while pressing the ABS/ TCS indicator light switch. The ABS indicator lights should come ON.

3. After approximately 5 seconds the ABS indicator lights should go OFF.

4. Release the ABS/TCS indicator light switch immediately (within 1 second) after the ABS indicator lights go OFF. Output of the problem code starts and the ABS indicator light blinks. Count the number of blinks and refer to the list below:

Blinks Fault
-------------------------------------------------------------
1 Faulty front modulator crank angle sensor system
2 Faulty rear modulator crank angle sensor system
3 Faulty front modulator control motor system
4 Faulty rear modulator control motor system
5 Faulty front wheel speed sensor system
6 Faulty rear wheel speed sensor system
7 Faulty power circuit
8 Faulty ABS control unit (ECU)

Here is a short video showing the procedure:

! No longer available

Code Clearing Procedure:

Press the ABS/TCS indicator light switch during output of the problem code (while the ABS indicator is blinking). The Problem code is cleared and the ABS indicator lights come ON and stay ON.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Make a note of the error code then do the reset and go for a ride to see if the error is fixed.
If the error lights start blinking again follow the retrieval procedure above to find out what needs to be fixed.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Shiney
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 09:20:56 AM by Shiney »
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2016, 05:10:58 PM »
It's to ride the bike with the ABS warning light/s blinking - braking reverts back to non-ABS brakes.

check that the wheel sensors haven't been damaged in some way - even dirt on the sensor or ring will show  fault.

You mentioned TCN but I think you meant TCS; both ABS and TCS (Traction Control) use the same sensors so more than likely a sensor fault as it's the only (as far as I know) item/s in common. Check the exposed wiring to/from the sensor as well.

If all ok then you can start looking at fault codes which the last two will be stored.

https://youtu.be/Jghp8fmey9o
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 12:59:37 AM by alans1100 »
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline Sandman

• Back after a long break
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 06:55:18 AM »
Thanks everyone for their comments.
I tried following the bouncing ball but it's not playing fair.
The sensor may have moved when I dropped it so I'm afraid it's off to the mechanic.
Happy New Year