Author Topic: GPS sun shield  (Read 5125 times)

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
GPS sun shield
« on: November 22, 2017, 10:14:40 PM »
I've done a search of the forum and can't see anything, and a search of the 'net only brings up ones for cars.

So has anyone got (or seen) a sun shield for a Garmin 660?  I've put up with it for years, but with Climate Change, the angle of the sun is worse and I can't see the information on the screen most of the day.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
Re: GPS sun shield
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 10:25:47 PM »
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Online Brookester

• Brookester
  • ST Legend
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 05:48:51 AM »
I've had one on mine for years, makes no difference what so ever. Unlike in a car that has the roof to block overhead and direct sunlight from getting to screen on the bike it does nothing. Save ya money.
I also tried a generic larger one that attached via velcro dots on the side of the unit....would have been much better except it did not fir the lockable Touratech cradle I use so it got binned.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 05:51:58 AM by Brookester »
One day you will wake up and there won't be anymore time to do the things you've always wanted so do them NOW!!!
Remember there are 7 days in a week and Someday isn't one of them!

Online StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 05:53:53 AM »
Thanks for a good find....  I've just ordered one for my Garmin 590.
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

BSA M21 600cc single (1948)
Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 09:59:16 AM »
I also tried a generic larger one that attached via velcro dots on the side of the unit....would have been much better except it did not fir the lockable Touratech cradle I use so it got binned.

I have the same lockable cradle.  Great bit of kit (although I had to do a serious mod when the barrel kept pulling out with the key).
The ones on offer on eBay all look as if they wouldn't work with our cradle.
Maybe I should just ride at night.    :crazy
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 10:21:05 AM »
I've done a search of the forum and can't see anything, and a search of the 'net only brings up ones for cars.

So has anyone got (or seen) a sun shield for a Garmin 660?  I've put up with it for years, but with Climate Change, the angle of the sun is worse and I can't see the information on the screen most of the day.

Not Garmin but TomTom. 

I have a custom made visor, not by me, but the guy I bought the TomTom from (an OzSTOC member, I think).  It's a sturdy little item, high density plastic, curved/mould to fit, does the trick (except when - see below).

Someone, cleverer than me, could do another one.

I've had one on mine for years, makes no difference what so ever....

Make little or no difference when the sun is shining directly on the screen, as in the pics, most other times it's worthwhile.

Andday light savings doent help either..

That's probably the case in WA, but in the Eastern States, even QLD, where the sun rises earlier, it's okay.
Cheers,  Williamson (AKA Michael)

Motorcycling, the best time you can have with your pants on.
eBiking, the second best time you can have with your pants on
Afterlife, up there for the climate, down there for the company.
If I'd known I was gunna live this long, I woulda looked after myself better

Bodø Glimt

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 10:35:43 AM »
What ferry is that?

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2017, 11:22:51 AM »
I have a custom made visor, not by me, but the guy I bought the TomTom from (an OzSTOC member, I think).  It's a sturdy little item, high density plastic, curved/mould to fit, does the trick (except when - see below).

That looks to be just what I need.  I wonder where the guy sourced the plastic.  Do you still have his contact number?

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2017, 11:27:25 AM »

That looks to be just what I need.  I wonder where the guy sourced the plastic.  Do you still have his contact number?

I'll check, it may take some time checking though PM's and bank statements.  I head down the garage soon and check the GPS, I think he didn't erase his home address.

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2017, 02:41:21 PM »
I'll check, it may take some time checking though PM's and bank statements.  I head down the garage soon and check the GPS, I think he didn't erase his home address.

No luck with above.

But I did find something interesting in the TomTom's memory. 

Fastest speed shows 252km/h.  Whiskey Tango Foxtrot - 252??   Certainly not my doing, the ST wouldn't get to those dizzy limits. 

I wonder what the previous owner had the TomTom mounted on?   If he / she is on OzSTOC, they may put their hand up out of pride, or shame.

Online STroppy

• STroppy (Terry - the name on the TeeShirt)
  • RTE Coordinator
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • CountryMember! Mob 0412499625
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2017, 03:47:21 PM »

I have had one for my 660 for 5-6 years. I bought it in a Jaycar store . . Specifically made for the 660 not sure that it is made by Garmin tho.

Here is a link to something similar . . Out of stock but they may come back . . https://www.dhgate.com/product/sun-shade-visor-for-5-inch-car-gps-anti-glare/170646625.html

Mine looks very much like this and I use it regularly . . Hasn’t yet fallen off . .
Terry, Canberra 0412499625
Ulysses #22354, FarRider #761
Current bikes 2013 Triumph Trophy SE, 2008 ST1300
Previous bikes1948 Triumph Tiger 500 Twin - sprung rear hub, 1963 BSA Bantam 175, Yamaha 75cc & DT250, Honda ST1100, 400N & CX500 sports, BMW K100RS & K100 LT, Harley Electra-glid

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2017, 05:36:32 PM »

Fastest speed shows 252km/h.  Whiskey Tango Foxtrot - 252??   Certainly not my doing, the ST wouldn't get to those dizzy limits. 

I wonder what the previous owner had the TomTom mounted on?   If he / she is on OzSTOC, they may put their hand up out of pride, or shame.

Yes, it's interesting the way the GPSs keep that record.  I've heard of the 200 kph barrier being broken, but not by that much.  If it was on an ST13, I wonder if the panniers and topbox were on, because I think their drag and airflow interference becomes significant in that region.

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2017, 05:38:09 PM »

I have had one for my 660 for 5-6 years. I bought it in a Jaycar store . . Specifically made for the 660 not sure that it is made by Garmin tho.

Here is a link to something similar . . Out of stock but they may come back . . https://www.dhgate.com/product/sun-shade-visor-for-5-inch-car-gps-anti-glare/170646625.html

Mine looks very much like this and I use it regularly . . Hasn’t yet fallen off . .

That looks similar to several on eBay.  How does it attach?  The eBay ones seem to have two velcro straps down the back.

Offline Gadget

• Just Ridin'
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2017, 05:45:19 PM »

Yes, it's interesting the way the GPSs keep that record.  I've heard of the 200 kph barrier being broken, but not by that much.  If it was on an ST13, I wonder if the panniers and topbox were on, because I think their drag and airflow interference becomes significant in that region.
215+ :whistle mit panniers und top box
It was me who gave up. 

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 06:04:06 PM by Gadget »
Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Then  :blu13 Now :Spyder
Life's too short to be miserable, so enjoy it! :)
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Mob: 04 2448 3555

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2017, 06:00:14 PM »

I have wondered if the Police have the authority to check the GPS's memory to see if there have been any indiscretions committed.  Some of our fellow members with a law enforcement background may have some experience or knowledge in such matters.

There's one of the Oz Police TV shows where I've seen / heard it mention that they can check your mobile 'phone to see if you have been using it whilst driving.  Would that be the same as the GPS?

How does it attach?  The eBay ones seem to have two velcro straps down the back.

My custom made jobby was attached with a thin bead of a translucent silicon sealant (or similar).  I separated them, but couldn't get to attach as well again.   It is now attached with multiple winds of black PVC insulation tape.  If someone looks closely, they'll see that I'm cheap, but it's effective as it's lasted high country winters and Victoria summers.

215+ :whistle mit panniers und top box

On the track, of course.

It was me who have up. 

Not sure what ya mean?

Offline Gadget

• Just Ridin'
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2017, 06:03:36 PM »
It was me who gave up.

I chickened out. Not the bike.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Then  :blu13 Now :Spyder
Life's too short to be miserable, so enjoy it! :)
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Mob: 04 2448 3555

The following users thanked this post: Williamson

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2017, 07:05:50 PM »
I have wondered if the Police have the authority to check the GPS's memory to see if there have been any indiscretions committed.  Some of our fellow members with a law enforcement background may have some experience or knowledge in such matters.

They'd have to prove you'd never ridden it on a track.

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2017, 07:26:16 PM »

They'd have to prove you'd never ridden it on a track.

Would the gps also include the location of said 200 klicks?

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2017, 07:32:09 PM »
Would the gps also include the location of said 200 klicks?

Nope, its only a record of the max speed, it doent record when or where, so you could say it was on a flight some time ago.

At a speed stop, it could prove that you didnt ever exceed the max limit ( provided the max record is less than 110 Ks that is)
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2017, 07:45:41 PM »
At a speed stop, it could prove that you didnt ever exceed the max limit ( provided the max record is less than 110 Ks that is)

Don't know if that would work, but it's tempting to reset mine.

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2017, 07:48:27 PM »

Don't know if that would work, but it's tempting to reset mine.

I'd have to reset mine frequently.

The following users thanked this post: STroppy

Online STroppy

• STroppy (Terry - the name on the TeeShirt)
  • RTE Coordinator
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • CountryMember! Mob 0412499625
Terry, Canberra 0412499625
Ulysses #22354, FarRider #761
Current bikes 2013 Triumph Trophy SE, 2008 ST1300
Previous bikes1948 Triumph Tiger 500 Twin - sprung rear hub, 1963 BSA Bantam 175, Yamaha 75cc & DT250, Honda ST1100, 400N & CX500 sports, BMW K100RS & K100 LT, Harley Electra-glid

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2017, 12:35:29 PM »
Ebay

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sun-Shade-Visor-For-Garmin-Zumo-590LM-660LM-350-340-390-LM-Motorbike-Sat-Nav-GPS/401092352323?hash=item5d62f79943:g:gXQAAOSw8w1YAP2p

Yep- thanks Stroppy.  I've ordered one.  Interestingly, that "digicharge" seller has two identical products on eBay, one with "free postage" and another with the postage separate, the latter for $1.00 less than the "free" version.  Marketing!