Author Topic: Service at home, heated grips install and due for a good clean  (Read 5640 times)

John Meara

The last service (a 24,000km) was fairly major and pre the big trip, so I had it done by a Honda dealer.  This time, being only a minor one due (30,000km), I did it myself.

We did 7,000km over the 4 weeks away 2-up, fully loaded, around Tassie, at the Mildura Ulysses AGM, then back via Broken Hill, Cobar, Dubbo etc,.  This is 1,000km more than the normal service interval and the bike was certainly in need of a good clean.  Out at Silverton (west of Broken Hill) we'd done 25km on a dusty gravel road to the old Day Dream Mine (worth a look and we went underground there), so there was also a lot of dust to get off.

Well I purchased a new air filter element, oil filter, Motul 5100, sump plug washer etc, plus a new set of Oxford heated grips to install. My first ST13 had OEM heated grips and whilst they gave me a little grief, I missed the warm hands last winter.  So I stripped all the fairings off to really get amongst it. 

I tried out a new oil filter removal tool I'd purchased online from the USA.  It needed a small grind job to fit easily between the sump and the filter, but did the job.  Without this, or the socket-style Honda removal part, removal would be very difficult. The oil was black and I was a little disappointed at its condition.  Anyway the new stuff looks good.

In the last service, I didn't have the air filter element replaced, only blown out, as it was apparently in reasonable nick.  Well when I pulled it out it was filthy and full of shit.  Here is the new one beside the old one, with the crap on the paper that I tapped out of the old one:

This is what I had to vacuum out of the air box before I fitted the new element:

I know this was all clear before the trip, as I'd pulled out the air filter a week before the trip to loosen up a sticking throttle cable.  Now all this dirt etc may seem pretty normal to some, and in hindsight maybe it is; but it just confirms the need for regular maintenance.

I have now almost finished fitting the Oxford heated grips - just tying up the wiring remaining.  I decided to run the power from the front where I have multiple spare ports for power (rather than weave another set of wires back to the battery terminals).  This allowed me to mount the Oxford unit up front, rather than under the seat.  This pic shows it above the back of the right headlight (the small black square box with 2 wires out the bottom) using the supplied double-sided tape. This also allowed me to shorten a few of the wires too.

I'll finish the cleaning and putting all the tupperware back on during the week, ready for a run next weekend; maybe in time for a dawn service on Wednesday - hope it is fine  :)
Cheers
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 06:56:46 AM by John Meara »

Offline tj189

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Brisbane
Re: Service at home, heated grips install and due for a good clean
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 05:21:15 AM »
Thanks for posting up your maintenance work John, good encouragement for others  :beer
IBA #38035
FarRider #189
Ulysses #42456

Turtle

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 08:08:45 AM »
Oxford heated grips = mmmmmmmm very toasty hands a great farkle  :thumb

Offline saaz

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Canberra ACT
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 08:46:37 AM »
Interesting to see all the junk the air filter keeps out. The ST13 must have a more exposed intake on the filter housing?  I have never seen much at all in the ST11 air filter housing, probably because it is more restrictive and the inlet is hidden away.

Good to see the tangible benefits of a routine service for all to see.
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

rendog

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 08:41:21 PM »
Heated grips? What are these mythical things you speak of?
Anyone got an air-conditioner for an ST1300 in good condition?
Please post immediately to rendog, c/o north of the Tropic of Capricorn.  :crackup

John Meara

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 12:52:27 AM »
Service is complete, grips are installed, bike is clean, all tupperware back on (hours of enjoyable 'work').  Now for a nice weekend of sunshine and a nice ride somewhere.

Offline Dan

• QLD
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 02:51:37 PM »
I spy a Stebel Nautilus, are they as loud as they claim? 

John Meara

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 06:25:56 PM »
I spy a Stebel Nautilus, are they as loud as they claim? 

Certainly is and YES, they are!

See this thread for install and better pics: http://ozstoc.com/index.php?topic=24.msg511#msg511

Offline Dan

• QLD
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 09:11:49 PM »

See this thread for install and better pics: http://ozstoc.com/index.php?topic=24.msg511#msg511

Thanks, I've thought about getting one for a while but since I seldom use the horn I've not bothered so far.  What a great way to show your appreciation for the talents of other drivers though!

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 10:06:36 PM »

Thanks, I've thought about getting one for a while but since I seldom use the horn I've not bothered so far.  What a great way to show your appreciation for the talents of other drivers though!

Believe me, they literally leap back out of your lane if you beep them as they sneak over.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Dan

• QLD
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 01:25:19 PM »

Believe me, they literally leap back out of your lane if you beep them as they sneak over.

Arghh, I can see me investing in a couple of these - one for my bike, one for the wife's car!  |-i

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 10:58:07 PM »

Arghh, I can see me investing in a couple of these - one for my bike, one for the wife's car!  |-i

They're on Fleabay, and if you live in Brizvegas you can save postage by picking them up at Nudgee, just off the Gateway Arterial. 
Not hard to fit on the 1300, but a bit of a challenge finding space on the 1100.  I've done both, and on the 1100 I separated the air compressor from the horn with a length of clear plastic tubing from Bunnings.  Put the compressor in the LH glovebox and the horn under the headlight (on that black plastic insert).
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Tasman Peninsula, Tasmania
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2012, 10:09:46 PM »
"Around Tassie"..............and you didn't get in touch!!  O'well, I hope you enjoyed it anyway!!

We did 7,000km over the 4 weeks away 2-up, fully loaded, around Tassie,
There are many paths to the top of the mountain.....but we all need to find our own way!