Author Topic: Lions Road  (Read 1182 times)

Offline Rodd

• Maryborough, QLD
Lions Road
« on: January 26, 2020, 07:42:54 PM »
 :blk13 Here's a video that I took riding along the Lions Road. I had to break it up into two parts for youtube. It's simply a ride so that you can see what it is like to ride this iconic road. Feel free to put a 'like' on the video, subscribe or comment because I'll try to add more videos when I can and if you subscribe then you'll get notified. I hope to improve the video quality as I go along, but this video was taken a few years ago. The last time that I tried to ride the Lions Road it was a bit of an adventure to get to it. Does anyone know if it is open now?

https://youtu.be/K-PyPfqYEEo

Regards
Rod
(Black ST1100aw)

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, Wild Rose, ruSTynutz

Offline ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
    • "Destined to Drive" Driving School
Re: Lions Road
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2020, 09:59:57 PM »
Thanks, I enjoyed that!  ++
Must say you're braver than me on wet roads... :crazy :whistle

2005 Honda ST1300A

Offline Rodd

• Maryborough, QLD
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2020, 10:29:33 PM »
I rode very gingerly and was aware of how slippery wet timber bridges can be. I don't know if you noticed, but I got a fright on one of the bridges. It was a cement surfaced bridge with a longitudinal gap along the centreline, and the tyre tramlined just enough to make sure that I was awake!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 11:45:49 AM by Rodd »

The following users thanked this post: ruSTynutz

Offline Rodd

• Maryborough, QLD
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2020, 10:31:06 PM »
Here's part 2 of the Lions Road trip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvHIp1YdIa0

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, ruSTynutz

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2020, 10:44:17 PM »
It's been reopened for a fair while.  Some of the timber bridges have been replaced with concrete ones.  It's still a challenge when wet.  Especially if cattle have been spreading fertiliser in the northern section.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2020, 10:52:54 PM »
One ex-magpie at 5:05.   :eek
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
    • "Destined to Drive" Driving School
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2020, 10:57:51 PM »
I saw a couple of brown trouser moments...well, they were for me anyhow...  :rofl

2005 Honda ST1300A

Offline Rodd

• Maryborough, QLD
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2020, 02:38:08 PM »
Yes, a magpie came a bit close but he missed me, luckily. And the cow... a kept it slow and ready to brake. The camera makes it look like I was going faster I think. I was most concerned about the timber bridges in the wet and I made sure that I was 'dead on'  and upright on approach and didn't have any problems. The cement bridge with the built in tramline gave me a fright. I didn't expect the narrow gap in the surface to get the front wheel off line, but it may not have been level. I have another short video that I should upload of the northern entrance towards Kenilworth (where the bus shelter with a view is).
I have some other ideas for videos as well. I have been looking at adventure bikes due to their riding position and ability to travel over unsurfaced roads. When you think of it.. it's mainly the tires that make the difference. Of course, extra suspension travel would be a great benefit. I am happy to take my ST1100 over dirt roads, but the high tyre pressures and road tyres don't fair well on anything with gravel. I am wondering how the ST1100 could be tweaked so that it is more capable on less refined roads. Anyway, this thread is about videos and the like but let's see what the furute holds for my ST.

BTW, It's great to hear that the Lions Road is open again. It's a great ride. I can travel mostly adventurous roads from my home (Maryborough QLD) down to visit family in Crookwell, NSW. It's nice to go via Maleny, Esk, Lion's Road, downhill from Tenterfield, Bylong Valley way, into Bathurst, Oberon, etc ... just takes me 3 days to do it. :D

The following users thanked this post: Wild Rose, ruSTynutz