Author Topic: Sena intercom problems  (Read 1774 times)

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
Sena intercom problems
« on: January 25, 2021, 08:48:10 PM »
I have found a bit of an issue with the Sena 10s, and maybe other variants. The issue is spelled out below. This info has been sent to Sena Australia.

On a long ride, with my son (who is a learner) to the Byford RTE a fault kept occurring where the intercom kept dropping out, losing connection totally. I found two "interesting " points.

Point one:- My paired GPS (Garmin Zumo paired IAW User Manual ) .  While riding and communicating via the intercom, and receiving a road alert from the GPS the intercom was disconnected. That is disconnected, not just muted as if the GPS had priority. This of course introduced rider distraction while trying to regain the connection.

Point two:- My Paired Sena SR10 on receiving a radio signal caused the same problem. This can be mitigated by turning off the radio, but defeats the purpose of having the Sena system.

My take on this problem, is that there is a major safety fault in the firmware , that will cause the intercom system to disconnect any time that a connection  comes in from any other connected bluetooth device. I have checked the device (10S) settings with my phone app (Samsung note 20) and have noted that intercom has been set as the priority system.

I have done a search on the internet, and have noticed a similar problem with other Sena Motorcycle intercom systems, and these problems have been around since about 2012 without resolution.

To be fair, I hadnt noticed the problem before as I vary rarely have need to use the intercom, but always have the GPS and UHF CB radio interface (SR10) running . I have been using Sena for approximately 10 or so years, as have many of my friends across Australia in the Ulysses and OzSTOC (Oz ST Owners) Clubs. In fact Sena Aust Reps sold me my first 10S at a meet of OzSTOC members in WA mid 2014.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

The following users thanked this post: ruSTynutz

Offline Gadget

• Just Ridin'
Re: Sena intercom problems
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 09:05:45 PM »
A very similar set up to ours, except we have an SM10, and Note 20 Ultra 5G.

I had similar issues initially, and I seemed have fixed it by changing/swapping the pairing of the Zumo and SM10.

From memory the Zumo is paired as the phone, and phone is paired via the Zumo (using Garmin Smartphone Link), and the SM10 is paired as multimedia.

Now the phone (via Zumo), and GPS interrupt intercom. After a short delay of 2 or 5 seconds, the intercom comes back.

Bike sourced Music/AM/FM radio is permanently cut off when using intercom, so I don't know if UHF could interrupt intercom.

I hope that makes sense.

I do miss the UHF on a ride.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk
Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Then  :blu13 Now :Spyder
Life's too short to be miserable, so enjoy it! :)
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Mob: 04 2448 3555

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 09:38:42 PM »
The current problem is the other connections disconnect the intercom with the associated error messages and bing tones. takes ages to reconnect. I have sent the issue to sena, but the internet seems to indicate no action taken.

If the intercom was just muted it would be OK. I will have to try the old SMH10s after factory resets and try them as well. It would be annoying for a passenger, but when its bike to bike it becomes dangerous.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Gadget

• Just Ridin'
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2021, 10:16:07 PM »
Actually we have the SMH10s now I think about it.

It was annoying not being able to talk to the pillion.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk
Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Then  :blu13 Now :Spyder
Life's too short to be miserable, so enjoy it! :)
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Mob: 04 2448 3555