Author Topic: Humming Noise  (Read 2077 times)

Online Williamson

• UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • ST Legend
Humming Noise
« on: May 29, 2021, 04:20:21 PM »
The Mighty ST1300 has started to develop a humming, perhaps drumming, noise at around 100km/h.  Hard to know the source, but I'm guessing rear wheel.  I have asked my motorcycle mechanic to check it out, he is pretty busy at the moment, so looking (asking) for some input in the meantime.

My thoughts are rear wheel bearing, and whilst that will be an exensive replacement, anything else is likely to be more expensive.

Whilst at another local motorcycle shop (a few parts and accessories, mainly service and repairs) on Thursday, I asked the owner / chief mechanic.  His advice was that this is a commonly known noise with the ST1300, and that it was nothing to worry about.  As I've never heard of this previously, I'm thinking is this advice plausible?  On the other hand, he could've said "wheel bearing or crown & pinion gear wear", got a repair job and pocketed some $$ - so perhaps his opinion is plausible.

Any thoughts fom the brains trust here?
Cheers,  Williamson (AKA Michael)

Motorcycling, the best time you can have with your pants on.
eBiking, the second best time you can have with your pants on
Afterlife, up there for the climate, down there for the company.
If I'd known I was gunna live this long, I woulda looked after myself better

Offline Nigel

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
Re: Humming Noise
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2021, 04:40:07 PM »
No pun intended, I can't say that I've heard of that problem before.
Wheel bearing? Probably. Check diff oil first.
Introducing My 2007 BMW K 1200 GT
Avoid Disappointment, Expect the Unexpected.
Nigel               0447333268
Mooroolbark But its a secret.

The following users thanked this post: Williamson

Offline Jdbiker

• NR2024 Rally Team
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2021, 04:56:53 PM »
Your Mighty ST 1300 is relatively new and shouldn’t have any issues with the final drive. Put bike on centre stand and rotate wheel, if there’s wheel bearing issue you should hear an abnormal sound. It’s more likely to be a tire wear issue  I think. Replacing the wheel bearing is an easy job, but I don’t see that being the problem with the mileage on your bike.
Jdbiker.
2008 red ST1300A
1980 Yamaha XS 1100
1974. Yamaha TX 500 sold
1984   Kawasaki GT 750
1975  Honda GL1000 selling

Honda XL 250 sold
Suzuki TS 100
2000 Honda ST1100P
1988 Enfield Bullet 350
 1941 Royal Enfield WD/C 350 engine
2021 Royal Enfield Bullet 500
2024 Honda Transalp coming

The following users thanked this post: STroppy, Williamson

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2021, 05:02:55 PM »
No pun intended, I can't say that I've heard of that problem before.
Wheel bearing? Probably. Check diff oil first.

Yeah, check the obvious.

Your Mighty ST 1300 is relatively new and shouldn’t have any issues with the final drive. Put bike on centre stand and rotate wheel, if there’s wheel bearing issue you should hear an abnormal sound. It’s more likely to be a tire wear issue  I think. Replacing the wheel bearing is an easy job, but I don’t see that being the problem with the mileage on your bike.

New tyres, first noticed on the way to Mudgee.  Yeah, the ST300 has done only 60,000km.

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2021, 03:12:12 PM »
I've become quite conscious of tyre noise on my ST lately.  It came with Pirellis that I found quite noisy.  I'm on Michelin PR5GTs now and they seem noisier than I recall.  It might be just the acoustics of this 2005 ST- I really hadn't noticed it on my 2008 and 2009 STs. It's the kind of hum that doesn't change if you pull the clutch in and coast at any speed above say, 60.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

The following users thanked this post: Williamson

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2021, 04:40:48 PM »
I've become quite conscious of tyre noise on my ST lately.  It came with Pirellis that I found quite noisy.  I'm on Michelin PR5GTs now and they seem noisier than I recall.  It might be just the acoustics of this 2005 ST- I really hadn't noticed it on my 2008 and 2009 STs. It's the kind of hum that doesn't change if you pull the clutch in and coast at any speed above say, 60.

The noise from my ST1300 that I'm referring to is a hummm .......  hummm .......  hummm .......  hummm .......  hummm .......  hummm ...... hummm .......  hummm .......  hummm .......  hummm .......  hummm .......  hummm ....... if that makes any sense.  I have really only noticed it around 100km/h, not here at lower speeds, may be there at higher speeds but other noises (wind mainly) come into play and(if it is there) drown the hummm .......  hummm .......  hummm .......  hummm .......  hummm .......  hummm out.

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2021, 04:53:04 PM »
"hummm .......  hummm .......  hummm .......  hummm .......  hummm .......  hummm ...... hummm .......  hummm .......  hummm .......  hummm .......  hummm .......  hummm ....... hummm .......  hummm .......  hummm .......  hummm .......  hummm .......  hummm ...... hummm .......  hummm .......  hummm .......  hummm .......  hummm .......  hummm ....... "

Yep, know that "cycling" type of sound.  I think it's harmonics.  Similar from my tyres, depending on the road surface.  It can also be humm .......  hummm .......humm .......  hummm .......humm .......  hummm .......humm .......  hummm .......    :grin
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline martinh

• ST Legend
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2021, 07:28:51 AM »
Just fitted a new set of Michelin PR5GT to my ST1300 and now have the same tyre resonance described. Comes in at around 95km/hr and goes away at 120km/hr which is a very annoying for highway riding. I tried altering pressures but no change. Has anyone found a solution other than buying Pirelli tyres?

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2021, 09:53:29 AM »
Yep, know that "cycling" type of sound.  I think it's harmonics.  Similar from my tyres, depending on the road surface.  It can also be humm .......  hummm .......humm .......  hummm .......humm .......  hummm .......humm .......  hummm .......    :grin

:rofl

Just fitted a new set of Michelin PR5GT to my ST1300 and now have the same tyre resonance described. Comes in at around 95km/hr and goes away at 120km/hr which is a very annoying for highway riding. I tried altering pressures but no change. Has anyone found a solution other than buying Pirelli tyres?

Yeah, I have PR5's on my ST13 (and I don't recall the problem prior, so that is a common demonimator and could be the cause.  Presuming that is the case, I'm prepared to put up with it for now, certainly not prepared to change tyres for it.  I 'spose I'll only know when I get new tyres, and if I select another brand.