Author Topic: New safety gear ratings are released  (Read 1685 times)

Offline Marcus

• Insert amusing quip here...
  • RTE Coordinator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • It says Stringo on my shirt
New safety gear ratings are released
« on: November 15, 2021, 10:53:09 AM »
New safety gear ratings are going to be released online for motorcyclists.

The 16 MotoCAP ratings will inform riders about the performance jackets, pants and gloves in a crash.

Tests are being conducted at Deakin University's Waurn Ponds campus, to help determine scientifically proven safety ratings.

They include abrasion resistance, impact protection and water resistance.

Road Safety Minister Ben Carroll said motorcyclists were over-represented in road tragedies on Victoria's roads.

"The research shows that wearing the right safety gear can make all the difference in protecting riders in a crash," he said.

“We want everyone to make it home safely and this is another way we are protecting some of our most vulnerable road users.”

https://www.motocap.com.au/

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, ruSTynutz

Online ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
    • "Destined to Drive" Driving School
Re: New safety gear ratings are released
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2021, 11:39:38 AM »
I checked out MotoCAP's ratings when I was looking at purchasing some motorcycle pants which resulted in me buying Draggin's Next Gen Seamless jeans...

I also used them when I was looking at buying some summer gloves!  :thumbs

2005 Honda ST1300A

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2021, 01:35:56 PM »
Thanks Marcus.  That looks like a great resource, and confirms that Draggin do the best jeans.
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2021, 12:21:55 AM »
Thanks Marcus.  That looks like a great resource, and confirms that Draggin do the best jeans.

If you buy their top ones- if you go down a cople of screens you can find Draggin jeans with only one star for safety, especially among the ladies' jeans.
I paid $350 for their best.  Quaint to see the dearer BMW pants with one star!  Maybe the wallet in the pocket provides that star.   :grin
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

The following users thanked this post: ruSTynutz

Online ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2021, 08:36:45 AM »
It's also interesting to see some of the other top brands scoring quite poorly... :crazy

When I was buying my Draggin's the salesman tried to steer me towards some "Bullit" jeans as he reckons they were a better fit so to keep him happy I did try them on but I'd already seen the ratings for them on MotoCAP so gave them a miss even though I would have saved a fair bit of cash.

As I'd done heaps of research online I knew the Draggin's were on sale at a particular online store, I also knew MCA had a price match policy so I ended up scoring my Draggin's for $299...  :thumbs

2005 Honda ST1300A

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2021, 06:05:34 PM »
The quality of motor cycle clothing versus price will be the subject of discussion, agreement, disagreement for years to come.  In an ideal world there would be a formula that takes into account the following(but not necessarily limited to) subjective or quantifiable criteria:
  • safety rating
  • price
  • forecast use of item
  • budget of buyer
  • brand name (or not)
  • colour
  • fit
  • add your criterium / criteria
  • repeat

And there's probably a list  of subjective criteria.  Oh dear, my eyebrows are hurting just thinking about this.

Let's consider jackets for a moment.  It's my guess is that with the most common jacket worn by OzSTOC members, not many of the objective criteria were taken into account with their purchase.

Cheers,  Williamson (AKA Michael)

Motorcycling, the best time you can have with your pants on.
eBiking, the second best time you can have with your pants on
Afterlife, up there for the climate, down there for the company.
If I'd known I was gunna live this long, I woulda looked after myself better

Online ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2021, 08:28:38 PM »
Re Jackets...at the end of the day it's hard to go past leather for all out protection which appears to be borne out after looking at the MotoCAP ratings.
Downside is the high price and the lack of ventilation for summer use...  :||||

When I got back into riding I would have loved to have bought a leather jacket but besides being out of my price range, I reckon they aren't a good look on someone of my build.
I compromised by buying a DriRider Jacket that had leather patches on the shoulders and elbows.
Only trouble with it was it's too hot in Summer so I ended up buying another 'vented' Summer jacket for the hotter weather which doesn't offer as much protection but is way more comfortable.

2005 Honda ST1300A

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2021, 08:18:11 PM »
Let's consider jackets for a moment.  It's my guess is that with the most common jacket worn by OzSTOC members, not many of the objective criteria were taken into account with their purchase.

But it's got lots of zips and pockets!!  And it's the right colour.  You missed those criteria!
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2021, 08:51:12 PM »
But it's got lots of zips and pockets!!  And it's the right colour.

Yeah Bill, and I think that's my point. Prior to purchasing their OzSTOC jacket, nobody could check the safety rating.  We were assured that it was a quality piece of gear (which it is, I think, but is anyone gunna give theirs up for testing?), but we really relied upon word of mouth assurances on that matter.  I suspect most decisions to purchase were based on the number of zips, colour, style and it had OzSTOC on one of the many pockets.

Don't get me wrong, I love my OzSTOC jacket, it is my preferred riding jacket, and because of lots of use, it's showing signs of wear (although I've seen some in worse condition).   I now have to wear other jackets so as I can get some longevity and preserve it for OzSTOC events. 

I wonder if we'll ever have another one?  Naw, better not go there.

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2021, 11:51:32 AM »
Don't get me wrong, I love my OzSTOC jacket, it is my preferred riding jacket, and because of lots of use, it's showing signs of wear (although I've seen some in worse condition).   I now have to wear other jackets so as I can get some longevity and preserve it for OzSTOC events. 

I wonder if we'll ever have another one?  Naw, better not go there.

You da man, Williamson!  My jacket is badly faded, so now, as the owner of 4 jackets, the Ozstoc one stays in the cupboard awaiting Ozstoc events.  It has all the patches sewn onto it, and so is more of a trophy than a source of protection.  Maybe all those patches have raised its protection factor!  :grin

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2021, 01:38:19 PM »
.... My jacket is badly faded ....

Ha ha!  I didn't want to name names, but it was you I had in mind after noticing your jacket at Wooli or perhaps Port Sorell.

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2021, 10:46:21 PM »
Ha ha!  I didn't want to name names, but it was you I had in mind after noticing your jacket at Wooli or perhaps Port Sorell.

Both, and soon to be Mannum!   :thumbs

Online ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2021, 04:43:04 PM »
I checked out MotoCAP's ratings when I was looking at purchasing some motorcycle pants which resulted in me buying Draggin's Next Gen Seamless jeans...

I also used them when I was looking at buying some summer gloves!  :thumbs

I received an email today from MotoCAP informing me that there was another lot of jackets & pants tested...

Interestingly they have re-tested the "Draggin Next Gen" pants as they have been on the market for more than 3 years.
I checked it out and they now don't rate as well for protection as when they were previously tested, which is because they now don't come with hip or knee impact protectors.
These need to be purchased separately...  :fp

Something to take into consideration if you're looking at purchasing pants...  :popcorn

2005 Honda ST1300A