Author Topic: Rust Spots on Upper Forks  (Read 3644 times)

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Blackwood, SA
Rust Spots on Upper Forks
« on: August 31, 2012, 11:00:17 AM »
I took the tuperware off today to check a small wiring issue, and spotted some small rust spots on my upper forks.  They seem to be above the area upon which the fork seals operate.   How can I best clean this area, get rid of the spots, and what lube or treatment could prevent it from becoming worse.  I've attached a couple of photos of the left fork to illustrate the problem.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 11:01:50 AM by StinkyPete »
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
Re: Rust Spots on Upper Forks
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 11:44:36 AM »
Pretty common with all bikes, it starts just above the max travel point. A bit of scotch brite used gently will remove the spots, and then give a wipe with an oily rag. Maybe, Mr Sheen might work as well, but you need to re oil/sheen regularly, as the area is subject to a lot of water spray (and mybe salt in ocean side areas.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 12:43:03 PM »
Thanks Brock.   I'm reluctant to use scotch pads as they contain glass which will scratch chrome.  At work we used to de-rust blued gun barrels with steel wool as it wouldn't touch the metal or the blue.  So I guess steel wool (not the stainless variety) would be OK as that is softer than chrome, but will need careful cleanup to get rid of any residual fibres.

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 01:18:28 PM »
It doesnt require much in the way of pressure, so a few quick wipes should do the trick
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Desty

• ST Legend
    • My Website...
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 06:40:31 PM »
Probably not pertinent to this particular post, but whenever I've had my forks aparts to replace seals, dampers, springs, oil, etc... I always strip the top tubes out and polish them with 2400 wet'n'dry and lanolin spray. By wrapping the paper around the tube after spraying it with lubricant, and sliding the tube back and forth with a twisting motion, essentially a figure 8 kinda...  you end up with a nice cross hatch polish on the tube.

I've never had a fork leak after doing this and the crosshatch helps to carry oil into the top bearings in the lower fork unit before it's wiped off by the seal.

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 07:04:18 AM »
The original post is a bit old now, but it's worth advising that I now use lanolin oil on the upper forks, which gets under any moisture.  The rust spots have not reappeared.   :thumb

Offline JuST Peter

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Quakers Hill NSW
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 06:35:44 PM »
Funny I should read this just now as I've noticed the same thing on my forks in the same place, so thanks for the tips boys.
Ulysses #41044; OzSTOC #14
I love what I ride and ride what I love

Offline Greencan

• Legendary Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 04:01:07 PM »
Pretty common with all bikes, it starts just above the max travel point. A bit of scotch brite used gently will remove the spots, and then give a wipe with an oily rag. Maybe, Mr Sheen might work as well, but you need to re oil/sheen regularly, as the area is subject to a lot of water spray (and mybe salt in ocean side areas.

Hiya Brock et al...but I would have to disagree with ya :-[

The first thing I noticed (particularly in the top pic), was the amount of generalised corrosion  :eek Looks to have really adapted to the sea-change...that actual rust spot is the parent metal corroding, probably the result of a stone chip that either salt air / water or a similar has adhered to an begun to to it's work.

I'd be more concerned about the beginnings of corrosion over the alloys which is quite noticeable...I think the best would be to undress the bike and spray with INOX

Same with the stanchion, do not use any thing abrasive on it...once the INOX has reduced the visible signs of the rust...wipe clean and dry...then apply a drop or 2 of a silver / chrome finger nail paint on it to prevent further moisture getting between the electroplating and the parent metal...the corrosion appears to be out side the limit of the fork travel, so nothing to worry about there.

Just a thought.

Ciao, the can :-)