Author Topic: Towing a Trailer  (Read 36037 times)

Offline sac468

• Canberra ACT
Towing a Trailer
« on: October 27, 2011, 11:37:09 AM »
Hi All,

I am looking at purchasing a trailer either a camper or luggage trailer to put camping gear in, so that I can do some touring.
any advise would be more than welcome. :13Candy
Shane
Ride to live, Live to Ride
Ulysses; 51798

Offline Tackleberry

• QUEENSLANDER!!!!!!!
Re: Towing a Trailer
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 11:14:23 PM »
Sac I'm not sure of what you're experience with bikes and trailers are mate, but I would suggest that you borrow a trailer  from somebody if you haven't done the bike & trailer thing and ride with it first of all to see whether you like the idea.  Some people just don't like the feeling with the trailer. 

There are differences between the single wheel and 'normal' styles also bloke.  There is a wealth of knowledge on the US site to look through:

http://www.st-owners.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?262-Trailers 

and then also through these websites: 

http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/main.asp?webtag=MCTrailertowing&nav=start&prettyurl=%2FMCTrailertowing%2Fstart 

http://www.motorcycletrailerstore.com/trailer-guide/ 

I have done a couple of '000km with mine now and love using it, so I hope you have the same experience. 
Steve
Only the guy in the glass matters..... 
Ride on Davo it's your road now.

Offline sac468

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 12:30:14 PM »
Thanks for the threads, lots of good reading. All I need to do is find one at the right price and convince the minister to let me spend some money. :well
Shane
Ride to live, Live to Ride
Ulysses; 51798

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 12:41:02 PM »
I'm in the process of designing my own trailer, with the intention to build. Hard part is finding some of the bits I want to use like small coil over springs n shockies to support the custom trailing arm independent suspension that I want.

When its done, I will publish the plans and parts with the costs involved.

Oh, I probably need access to a lathe to make hinges as well.

(Now if only I could wiin lotto and get a workshop) :o||| :o|||

:wht11
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Tasman Peninsula, Tasmania
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 09:29:59 PM »
If you win Lotto Brock you won't have to worry about a workshop.........you could just go and buy one   :rofl
There are many paths to the top of the mountain.....but we all need to find our own way!

Online Diesel

• Administrator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 08:58:24 AM »
Hey Sac,

TerryTJ, Barry (as in Barry & Marissa) and Beatup are all members on here that tow trailers - there are more too, they could be a great source of info on what to expect, as Tack rightly points out, you have to dramatically change your riding technique and velocities, as well as lane position etc etc when towing - no to mention compensating for the extra weight.

A lot of people also comment "It's so good, I forget it's there", so clearly - they are a great addition to the ST experience!

Here are some pics of Beatup's bargain trailer...

FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 09:22:45 AM »
Nice looking trailer.............and nice looking bike to go with it :thumbsup
There are many paths to the top of the mountain.....but we all need to find our own way!

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 10:09:34 AM »
Not to mention, that lane splitting with a trailer is not advisable....

:rofl :rofl

:wht11
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 12:53:01 AM »
And I'll ad mine to the mix.

I bought my first trailer before my bike. Makes good sense. Just that I saw the trailer for sale before I found the bike. It wasn't until after I bought the bike and installed the towbar that I discovered the trailer never had the rotating coupling. Generally on the road it was ok but a different matter when it came to slow speed U turn's etc. Guess i got used to it after awhile. I sold this trailer a few weeks ago.

In January 2011 I found my current white Classic trailer. It's about twenty years old and has been well looked after. I upgraded the clearance and tail lights to LED and I was lucky enough to find a set of tail lights that matched the original. This trailer is a little larger than my previous black one but it isn't as heavy. I did notice that when I first picked it up it swayed a little when i was over 80kph. I put that down to it being empty and a fairly strong side wind. Tyre air pressure was a little excessive so I fixed that back to the recommended 12-15psi. It's been stable ever since.

The trailer has an interior light but until I rewire the bike I have moved the wire to the tail light connection. Also looking at installing a 12volt battery and possibly solar/bike charging system.

Under normal riding conditions the trailer is hardly noticable. Maybe the odd downshift when passing or up a hill otherwise 5th gear all the way from 60kph. Most of the time unless I have my partner on I double shift and go from 2nd to 4th with out any apparent complaints from the motor.

Nearly forgot. My average fuel usage when towing at 90kph gives about 400kms before the fuel light comes on.

:bl11

Alan
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 01:56:32 PM by alans1100 »
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

terrydj

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 06:18:26 AM »
Get a trailer. Never thought I would get one but now wouldn't be without it. Just a couple of things. Try and keep around 20 kg's on the towball, allow say half as much again to stop and don't listen to those that go rah rah rah about what you can and cant do with em. Most trailers are just a touch wider than your bike, maybe in the old scale 6 inches wider, so theirs no problem their. As to the handling, well if their roadworthy, set up right,  packed right their good to any speed as justified by a mate of mine with a trailer on, with all the gear, cleaning up a couple of sports bike riders in Cunninghams gap when towing his with his Blackbird. I was behind him with mine with the trailer on and lady as pillion and seen it all ?????
I was just sitting on the speed limit watching it all happen  8) Oh yeah the mate was a sponsered rider for around ten years so that may have had something to do with it.

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2011, 11:12:12 AM »
Hi All,

I am looking at purchasing a trailer either a camper or luggage trailer to put camping gear in, so that I can do some touring.
any advise would be more than welcome. :13Candy

Hi,

This should be a good place to start. Even if you don't buy a trailer from them it's where you can get your model specific towbar from.

http://www.classicind.com.au/

Alan

terrydj

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 04:40:49 PM »
That classic mob mad my trailer. Its about a zillion years old and was built when they were in Marroochydore or somewhere near their. Me thinks it was one of their first. Oh yeah that Pinstriping on the esky is what old people do.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 06:00:26 AM by terrydj »

Offline Down Under

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2011, 07:21:39 PM »

Wouldn't mind a trailer myself.  I like the style of these Bandicoot trailers.  Just a tad expensive!  :eek

http://www.bandicoots.com.au/Motorcycletrailers/REGULARCOOT.aspx

Apache

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2011, 08:20:08 PM »
Yer i was looking at them last night. Way to exy.

Offline Tackleberry

• QUEENSLANDER!!!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2011, 10:00:50 PM »
This is my version.  Was made by a mate for himself and I recently bought it off him and got him to match the colour of my '96 1100. 

Anybody that has had anything to do with FarRiders or FJR's may recognise it from a number of different guises it has.  Previous owner, and yes that is a bike towing another bike on my trailer. 

I will never be without a trailer now no mater what bike I am on because it increases the variety of options you have for travelling.  At the moment it carries two complete team bags for cricket gear, my son's gear bag, training equipment, scoring fold up table, fold up chairs and a few extras thrown in.  To be modified later next year to carry a roof tent from Gordigear for camping made easier. 

Point of interest for those thinking about a trailer that Australian Rules limit a trailer towed by a two wheeled vehicle at 1 metre wide. 
Steve
Only the guy in the glass matters..... 
Ride on Davo it's your road now.

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2011, 10:04:21 PM »
I have two riding buddies who tow "Classic" trailers and swear by them....................they're made in Queensland and the later models are fitted with brakes. Neither of my mates trailers have brakes but they have no problems stopping them, you just need to be aware that you need to brake a little earlier the same as you would do in a motor vehicle towing a van or boat. Storage capacity is huge and the quality of the product is excellent.  :thumbsup

chrislee

« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2011, 10:13:06 AM »
Hi all. Merry Christmas to you all. I have a Classic MT trailer for sale. I live in Townsville and used to tow it behind my Honda VTX1300. We have used  it for camping and I use it to cart my equipment around when I am training in towns around North Queensland. I teach first aid for Queensland Ambulance service. I have decided to sell it as the ST has so much luggage. If interested let me know. It is in very good condition. Chris.

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2011, 06:39:55 PM »
Hi Chris.........any chance of posting a photo!!

Hi all. Merry Christmas to you all. I have a Classic MT trailer for sale. I live in Townsville and used to tow it behind my Honda VTX1300. We have used  it for camping and I use it to cart my equipment around when I am training in towns around North Queensland. I teach first aid for Queensland Ambulance service. I have decided to sell it as the ST has so much luggage. If interested let me know. It is in very good condition. Chris.

chrislee

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2011, 08:45:13 AM »
Howdy, I tried to but it said the file was too big. Here goes but if not I can email it to you. No it happened again. Give me your email and I will send it.

Regards

Chris

Offline scarp

• Legendary Member
  • Huntingdale, Westralia
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2011, 09:24:48 AM »
Towing  a trailer is certainly different to riding solo, as others have said keep weight over the bar & the trailer loaded correctly  & all should be ok.
I keep about 25psi in my tyres, one down side is overtaking takes a bit more care.
You just have to relax with it & that comes with time on the road.
Heres Mine:
FR# 431
IBA# 60317

terrydj

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2011, 06:02:44 AM »
Used to run tyre pressures around the 20/25 but after dropping them to 15, when a mate said I should give it a go the difference is amazing

Offline scarp

• Legendary Member
  • Huntingdale, Westralia
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2011, 09:20:49 AM »
A few people have suggested I run the tyres at 15 PSI Tho I tend to load the trailer up a fair bit (Esky full) I have tried it but was no real benefit (to me)
Maybe next trip I'll lower them further & give it a go, tho like I said mine seems to sit & travel very well with a load on it
FR# 431
IBA# 60317

Offline scarp

• Legendary Member
  • Huntingdale, Westralia
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2011, 09:23:14 AM »
One thing I've noticed tho, with the amount of different trailers around they all seem to use the same wheels
FR# 431
IBA# 60317

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2011, 10:02:09 AM »
For anyone thinking of towing a trailer and for those who do.

This is taken from http://ali-lite.com.au/2neville.htm a trailer site.

The maintenance of a trailer is minimal, requiring the greasing of wheel bearings every 10,000 kms. Tyre pressures are critical however. Trailers with torsion block rubber suspension rely on a low air pressure in the trailer tyre to provide most of the suspension component. Check with the manufacturers of these trailer types, but the general rule of thumb is to accurately maintain a pressure of 15 psi in each wheel. Trailers using leaf spring suspension have air pressures of approximately 25 psi because the springs provide the major suspension dampening.

There's also a lot of other info on that page.

Alan

Offline scarp

• Legendary Member
  • Huntingdale, Westralia
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2011, 10:07:33 AM »
Thanks Alan for that, mine has leaf suspension I guess that's why it feels better with around 25 PSI
FR# 431
IBA# 60317