Author Topic: Wired Intercom systems – an overview for the uninitiated  (Read 4554 times)

Offline DaleMcLean

• It's just me ;-)
Wired Intercom systems – an overview for the uninitiated
« on: November 26, 2012, 06:57:50 PM »
There are 2 basic “classes” of Intercom system used on bikes, namely “wired” and “wireless”

A “wired” system is called that because you have a “wire” to the helmet to carry all the signals back and forth.
Normally a curly cord, in most instances it will detach at the helmet and at the bike. I can only state the true workings for StarCom1 (being the importer helps  :thumb)

The GOOD points of such a thing are many, main ones being
1.   Always on intercom – no VOX to trip to talk (at least with the StarCom1, others seem to be VOX).
2.   Never having to charge a headset – the headset is bike powered so if the bike goes so does your intercom
3.   Expandability – a base system is usually Intercom (Rider-pillion) with stereo music shared to both from an iPod/MP3
You can pick it up relatively cheaply and add as your budget allows.
4.   Expansion to Mobile phone, GPS, UHF radio, separate music (R-P) or separate Phones (R-P) is as simple as using the appropriate cables or a Bluetooth Module/s for the phone

The main “disadvantage” is that you are connected to the bike and will need to plug and unplug yourselves each time you get on or off.

Common problems people have (common to ALL systems) is using powered  devices added to the systems.
1.   You can get earth loop noise, this usually manifests as a lovely audible tacho  :rofl , easily cured by using an isolated input cable or a specifically designed 2 way radio cable.
2.   Ignition noise, usually caused by running input cables alongside spark plug leads or ignition coils ( I have actually seen cables tied to the coil   :|||| :||||)
3.   Music muting by itself, see 1 and 2 above plus VOX level just not “tweaked”

One stipulation, as with anything, you always get what you pay for .

Pay a decent price get a decent system. Buy a $20 system, expect to throw $20 in the bin before the 1st ride is done

The best advice is to phone and speak to someone, check whether they really know what they are talking about/selling, whether they actually use the product and whether they can support ANY technical or usage questions you have.

BE AWARE there are LOADS of people and motorcycle dealers/shops selling systems, by far the majority will “sell you a box” and if you have any questions the answer will be “the writing on the box said xxxxx”  :fp then you are left alone to troll the net or ask mates for assistance  :cuss.

I have been in the motorcycle comms business since about 1985, I do ride a bike (albeit an old one and of Italian make  :beer ), I do use the systems, I can make / design interfaces for just about anything to go to MY products.
I am available for advice (mainly unbiased ) on any type of system, headset, radio, music source etc.

Just don’t ask me for something for a system you have( that doesn’t come for me ) that you cant get for it  because “the people I bought it from can’t do it/ don’t know how to do it”

« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 05:57:15 AM by DaleMcLean »
I may ride a Ducati, but I've rode lots of (other peoples :-) ) ST's

What I do www.DMME.com.au and www.StarCom1.com.au

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
Re: Wired Intercom systems – an overview for the unitiated
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 09:43:50 PM »
It's a bit of a "free kick" for Dale, but I can honestly say he knows his stuff and works efficiently. 
And you don't have to sell your first-born to pay for his labour.  The systems aren't cheap, but they're reliable and the after-sales-service is, as Dale says, the key when dealing with technical stuff, especially if you are a bit tech-challenged.  He's straight onto the emails and phonecalls when you need him and explains stuff in a way even I can understand.

I found the hardest part of dealing with him is navigating his driveway.   :eek

(It wasn't easy, but I resisted correcting the spelling in the topic title.  Keeps Sabie happy.)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 09:45:42 PM by Biggles »
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Malcolm6112

• Legendary Member
  • Armadale WA
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 09:51:12 PM »
I'm rapt with the Starcom Digital system. As Dale pointed out, some things need adjusting, this only takes a few minutes.
Then it's set. Forget it, enjoy it.

:blu13
Malcolm
2004  ST1300A

Farrider 518
IBA       58213

Offline Tackleberry

• QUEENSLANDER!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 10:22:07 PM »
I do ride a bike (albeit an old one and of Italian make  :beer )
This is why he had to get his electrickery qualifications - to keep his bike going. :rofl :rofl :rofl  Sorry Dale but been waiting a while to use that one.  I work with a bloke that loves his Dukes also. 

Seriously guys & girls this bloke knows his stuff and has the best after sales service I have EVER seen, :phone  :-++ :-++  and I am the type of bloke that will ask those stupid questions to see if a salesman knows his crap first before buying.  I will admit sometimes they are genuine. :CB-- 

Apart from the list of guys here there are numerous (read shyte loads) bike riders around this country that will back up his ability to find a solution that will work with your bike communication needs. 
Steve
Only the guy in the glass matters..... 
Ride on Davo it's your road now.

Offline Whizz

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Paul. Ipswich, QLD.
    • Instrumented Control Solutions Pty Ltd
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 10:29:20 PM »
I've got a Starcom with quite a few of the bells and whistles, and I wholeheartedly agree that Dale really does know his stuff.

My only complaint...and it isn't with Dale but with the Starcom system, is the helmet connectors. They a small and fiddly and the 6 pins are very soft, so if it is the slightest bit out of alignment then you'll bend a pin and lose one or other of the ears or the mic input. Straightening the bent pin(s) is tricky and after a few times they snap off and bang goes your curly lead!

This isn't Dale's fault it's a manufacturing/design flaw.
Cheers,
Paul
:13Candy
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is!!
Red, 2004, ST 1300A

Offline DaleMcLean

• It's just me ;-)
Re: Wired Intercom systems – an overview for the uninitiated
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 06:00:16 AM »
Thanks Guys
Spelling fixed  :-[

Whizz I have been told a few times about the connectors, but with a little care there usually isnt a problem  :wink1
I also get told quite often that certain "opposition" connectors are too big and bulky  ::) so its a 50/50 shot  :thumb
I may ride a Ducati, but I've rode lots of (other peoples :-) ) ST's

What I do www.DMME.com.au and www.StarCom1.com.au

Online ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 06:22:06 AM »
Use the Bikecom BK-02 now (only for a few weeks) and the Starcom with all the fruit prior to this......as Whizz said helmet connect plug was an issue and for us increased due to our cold climate and the plug housing, but when connected and adjusted the sensitivity on the Starcom they where great.

The BK-02 so far has proved successful, VOX per my pillion is taking a little getting use to due to her soft sweet girly voice taking a bit to start a conversation, interaction from all the various devices it controls are solid, found we can still have Comms between us when upto 40 metres apart, handy when paying for fuel and I get the "and get me some chocolate request" whilst at the cashier.

Cheers

Chris
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 08:38:22 AM »

found we can still have Comms between us when upto 40 metres apart, handy when paying for fuel and I get the "and get me some chocolate request" whilst at the cashier.

You have your helmet on while paying for petrol!!!    :eek    :law

(here goes another helmet/petrol station thread...)     :popcorn
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Online ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 12:13:38 PM »
Far less threatening to leave it on....I've got a head like a twisted sandshoe !!!!....Never been asked to remove it or refused fuel or service "IF" i leave it on.....Flip is up, face exposed, sunnies and gloves off, wallet or $$ in hand sends a pretty clear non threatening message. All depends on how long the lid has been on if i remove it..... :beer

Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!