Author Topic: Wireless Intercom systems – an overview for the uninitiated  (Read 9143 times)

Offline DaleMcLean

• It's just me ;-)
Wireless Intercom systems – an overview for the uninitiated
« on: November 26, 2012, 07:13:29 PM »
There are 2 basic “classes” of Intercom system used on bikes, namely “wired” and “wireless”

A “wireless” system is called that because the link to rider and pillion is short range radio, mostly Bluetooth.

The thing to remember is being wireless means charging the headset  :think1.

As a general rule of thumb I say to customers if your on the bike every day you’ll get sick of charging headsets up, get a wired system.
If your only on it once a month you’ll forget to charge it and wont have one that works, so get a wired system
If your on the bike any where in between either a wired or wireless system is fine, its up to you

Amongst wireless or Bluetooth systems there are 2 types
1.   Bluetooth headsets
2.   Bluetooth headsets paired to a HUB
 I can only state the true workings for the BikeComm systems being the importer of these  :wink1

The GOOD points of pure Bluetooth headsets (as opposed to HUB systems) are :
1.   Not being “tethered” to the bike, you can get off and open a gate or garage door.
2.   Expandability – usually each headset of a pair can link to a phone and sometimes another Bluetooth device as well .

The disadvantages are that you are have a limited usage time before they need recharging, and each person needs to supply their own phone and music as nothing is shared.

Also a general rule is that Bluetooth headsets are purely a 1 to 1 comms link, some can have a party line but usually limited to 3 bikes max, or 2 couples on 2 bikes.

READ the fine print – those that claim up to 9 headsets paired are still only a 1 to 1 and you “choose” which of one of the others to talk to at a given time (provide they are not talking to one of the others)  |-i

OUR BikeComm HOLA F can have 4 pair together up to 900m apart, but each can only talk to 1 other at a time. The HOLA S is purely one to one over about 20m ( rider pillion)

The downfall (as such) is that you can only talk to one (or 2 ) others AND ONLY OF THE SAME BRAND HEADSET.

Then we have the HUB type Bluetooth systems, these will share music/phone/GPS. 
On top of that ASLO UHF 2 way radio, so a true community of as many people as you like can talk, regardless of what brand or type of system they have.
Our BK-02 from BikeCom is just such a beast, bike powered hub, wireless headsets with all the inputs going to the hub, then distributed to both headsets.
There is another brand that does similar but I don’t believe it shares to more than one headset, and I know they don’t support many UHF radios.

All the modern systems and headsets now do stereo for the music as well as prioritize intercom/phone etc.

Again still with limited talk time but no wires to the bike.

One stipulation, as with anything, you always get what you pay for .

Pay a decent price get a decent system. Buy a $20 system, expect to throw $20 in the bin before the 1st ride is done

The best advice is to phone and speak to someone, check whether they really know what they are talking about/selling, whether they actually use the product and whether they can support ANY technical or usage questions you have.

BE AWARE there are LOADS of people and motorcycle dealers/shops selling systems, by far the majority will “sell you a box” and if you have any questions the answer will be “the writing on the box said xxxxx” then you are left alone to troll the net or ask mates for assistance.
I get this ALL the time  :||||

« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 05:20:46 AM by DaleMcLean »
I may ride a Ducati, but I've rode lots of (other peoples :-) ) ST's

What I do www.DMME.com.au and www.StarCom1.com.au

Offline saaz

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Canberra ACT
Re: Wireless Intercom systems – an overview for the unitiated
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 07:46:31 PM »
 :thumb based on my experience. 

At the moment I have gone for a wired system with everything bike powered.  I just found that having to charge things and plug in the hand held UHF meant that I did not use it much. Now I just put in the earmolds to save the hearing a bit (30 years of no earplugs and too many rock concerts tends to deplete the hearing) and may as well plug them into the comms system, so everything just works.  Bike powered UHF just works.  Zumo wired in means it just works, and the mobile pairs up if I happen to have it on.

The bluetooth hub is probably the next step.  It does look like a more developed product.  may depend on how the Triumph Trophy bluetooth works  :think1
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline sac468

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 01:31:56 PM »
Dale,
I have a couple of questions to ask if you dont mind mate.
1, what sort of Blue tooth head sets do you need to connect to the system?
2, What would you recomend as a good system, I have a 1300 usually have the wife or my son on with me, would like to be able for them to here music from Ipod as well as my self, also my son gets his L's in January, would like to be able to have a conversation while riding, with the wife on the back.

would like to also at a later point ( when $) allow upgrade with UHF and Navigation as well, could you recomend something with costs and fitting.

:rd13
Shane
Ride to live, Live to Ride
Ulysses; 51798

Offline DaleMcLean

• It's just me ;-)
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 03:47:59 PM »
Shane the BK-02 comes as a COMPLETE SYTEM  :beer, 2 headsets included  :thumb for $750, its ready to add in a UHF, with 2 cables included for "handheld" radios or (at a cost) I can make one for ANY UHF you like  :grin. MP3/iPod lead is inluded too, so shared music is already there. Plus Bluetooth for phone and another for GPS as well as cabled input if you need. ALL inputs go to the hub then sent to the helmets wirelessly  :thumbsup

I can supply a third speaker/mic and headset module mount for the 3rd helmet.

BUT when he gets his own bike you'd need to look at a UHF on both bikes.

ther are Bluetooth headset from other suppliers that may allow all 3 (only) to talk to each other BUT you cant add UHF or share music  :|||| :||||
Give us a ring Friday if you like and i can explain at length, its a bit long winded typing

I was going to PM the answer, but thought others could benefit form the explanatin too (wheres the angel emoticon??  :rofl)

:)
(TAA BROCK  :thumb)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 05:22:10 AM by DaleMcLean »

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 10:18:55 PM »
Super happy with my BK-02 thus far......we do music, phone, Navigation (Tom Tom) all via iPhone, UHF and intercom all works great....only modification we had to make was to the way we use the VOX of the BK-02 compared to the mic open system off the Starcomm we had,  is to voice a non important part of the conversation when initiating a conversation.....that is to voice  "did you see that tree ?" the other will only hear "that tree"......needs a brief second for the VOX to activate when a chat is commenced, we just say say each others name at the kick off of a chat.

Cheers

Chris
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 10:31:49 PM »
An old trick for Vox is to give a Phuht, or a Buh, sor of noise to open the line.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline sac468

• Canberra ACT
Re: Wireless Intercom systems – an overview for the uninitiated
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 02:37:32 PM »
Thanks for that but at $750 + it may have to wait a while before I can look at it. :-++
Shane
Ride to live, Live to Ride
Ulysses; 51798

Offline ST13P

• ST3P
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 04:39:42 PM »
I've got the Nolan Helmet N102 with Bluetooth.  It is a bit disappointing that you can not connect more headsets when riding in a group.

I've been trying to find either of the following:
1. An app that allows "Face Time" or similar comms over wifi between iPhone or similar smart phones. Then the headset need simply connect to your phone and let the phone look after the conferencing.
2. Some sort of Bluetooth/WIfi server for a laptop to allow multiple headsets/smart phones to conference call.  I have a decent Windows 7 Netbook wired up in my Topbox to operate as server for communications.

I also have a Baehr Intercom but rarely use it.  Will sell for reasonable offer.

Offline Whizz

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Paul. Ipswich, QLD.
    • Instrumented Control Solutions Pty Ltd
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 04:47:52 PM »
What about Skype? that's similar to Facetime but not welded to iphones, The trouble is i you are going far then you are going to burn up all the Skype credit on a single long call, and make your phone unreachable to anyone else during that time.  I'm not sure if you could make Skype work just on wifi, assuming that you want to use the netbook as the wifi sever, but it might well be worth trying it out.
Cheers,
Paul
:13Candy
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is!!
Red, 2004, ST 1300A

Offline ST13P

• ST3P
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 04:51:12 PM »
Skype would work.  Even free, if everyone has data.  I'm hoping to get something independant of the phone network, something that would work when in wifi distance of each other with not other infrastructure.  As it is in most places that are good to ride.

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 05:12:13 PM »
As far as I am aware, for phone to phone comms, a mobile network is needed. Connecting to a PC/Laptop via blue tooth is easy enough, but I dont think it could manage acting as a comms server, besides, bluetooth to bluetooth to bluetooth is starting to get a bit complex and inefficient.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline tj189

• Brisbane
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 06:15:49 PM »
There are 2 basic “classes” of Intercom system used on bikes, namely “wired” and “wireless”

A “wireless” system is called that because the link to rider and pillion is short range radio, mostly Bluetooth.

The thing to remember is being wireless means charging the headset  :think1.

As a general rule of thumb I say to customers if your on the bike every day you’ll get sick of charging headsets up, get a wired system.
If your only on it once a month you’ll forget to charge it and wont have one that works, so get a wired system
If your on the bike any where in between either a wired or wireless system is fine, its up to you

Thanks for sharing your valuable knowledge Dale (guru of comms systems :-++)
Being a wireless rider and doing the long distance riding sport, I find no issues with recharging the headset.  I take two headsets on my trips, one is charging and the other I am using, when the one I am using starts beeping I change over to the other one and put the used one on charge as I ride.  Great for single rider but would not work two up unless you wanted to have four headsets  >:()
This may not work for all but for my style of riding it is fine.

I also commute to work on the bike and find that one headset lasts for at least 5 + days with the GPS and phone hooked up with the bluetooth and the FM radio on the headset working (about and hour and a half each day unless there is a traffic jam :well )
TJ
IBA #38035
FarRider #189
Ulysses #42456

Offline Abe

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • 4D Gang Member
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2012, 06:30:13 PM »
The "taxman" just bought my Halo S from Dale, and it works a treat.  Have rigged second unit to charge when riding.  Thanks Dale, I was thinking of buying the next model up, but, you steered me in the right direction.  Folk's a nice bloke to deal with and nothing was a problem. (no I'm not getting kick backs)

Cheers
Dave
At my age " getting lucky" is remembering what I came in the room for ;)

:wht13      Cheers Dave
Member of the 4 D Gang

Offline ST13P

• ST3P
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 03:59:14 PM »
I have no issue with recharging.  If you're streaming music from you phone contantly to the headset it will go through the battery in less than a day.  But if you only use it for occasional communication or GPS directions then it could last a few days.  It seems to be in standby unless receiving sound.  Sometimes it goes a bit quicker on mine if I let the speed creep up and get a constant reminder from the Nokia to check my speed.  Sometimes I've left it on all day while at work (10 hour shifts) and it seems to just hibernate until I'm back on the bike. (or I try to make or receive a phone call, and wonder why I can't hear anything and they can't hear me - unless I'm close enough for the helmet to hear).

Offline DaleMcLean

• It's just me ;-)
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 04:14:39 PM »
YEP ST13P you hit the nail on the head, its called "talk time" and "standby"

Talk time is usually around the 10 to 15hrs depending on the brand, and it DOES INCLUDE any time the speakers are outputting something, which a lot of "box sellers" either dont know or wont tell you  :well

Offline JuST Peter

• Quakers Hill NSW
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 08:12:49 PM »
I have the wired in version ( not tech savvy enough to know the model) and it works a treat, both for bike to bike, intercom as well as MP3 through the Zumo.
Nothing is any trouble to Dale and what he doesn't know about these gadgets, he makes up....errr..isnt worth knowing :grin
Ulysses #41044; OzSTOC #14
I love what I ride and ride what I love

Offline IanB

• Trundler
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2013, 04:06:43 PM »
Deisel, where are you. You seem quite happy with the sstem your running, tell us more.
Never under estimate the predictability of stupidity.

Offline Carsten

• Tassie NR 2019
  • Carsten
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2013, 09:07:41 PM »
Hi Dale.  My wife Laura and myself are travelling with people that use the Scala G9.  Do all systems that use Bluetooth find each other (pair) or do we also have to buy the Scala G9.  We're also looking at the Shark Evoline 3 helmets.  If we have to get the Scala G9 can my Zumo 550 operate independently just for me i.e. directions and stored music?
Thanks in advance.

Offline DaleMcLean

• It's just me ;-)
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2013, 05:30:14 AM »
BT headsets are incestuous  :'( so to talk to one of them at a time you'll need Scala headsets, as for your Zumo etc that will only go to your head, it wont be shared.

Offline Marcus

• Insert amusing quip here...
  • RTE Coordinator
  • It says Stringo on my shirt
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2013, 07:33:20 AM »
Dale is a legend.

I had the wireless Scala headset bluetooth into my phone. and the problem was when I started going on longer trips it would run flat all the time.

Dale got me this system here: http://imgur.com/a/gQEG9

It's a 10/10 set up. I would recommend this to anyone in a heart beat

I can't speak highly enough about this guy and his customer service. I rang him a few time and pestered him in this forum with stupid questions... all of which he answered with a smile...

Offline Carsten

• Tassie NR 2019
  • Carsten
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2013, 09:17:35 AM »
Thanks Dale.  My wife seems convinced that anything blue tooth can talk to any other.  Correct my wife please.  If we dont have Scala G9 systems we cant talk to our friends.

Offline Sicman

• RTE Coordinator
  • Was here when the lights got turned on :-)
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2013, 12:06:29 PM »
Thanks Dale.  My wife seems convinced that anything blue tooth can talk to any other.  Correct my wife please.  If we dont have Scala G9 systems we cant talk to our friends.
Gee  :think1 Thats a hospital pass if I ever saw one :eek  :grin :rofl
Cheers
Tony
FarRider 802
NatRally's - 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 202🤬, 2🤬21, 2021/22 Black Dog bit me, 2023
Experience trumps assumption :-)

Offline Carsten

• Tassie NR 2019
  • Carsten
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2013, 01:19:38 PM »
Lucky she's not on the site.  Stubborn Italian, say no more.

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2013, 03:36:10 PM »
Bluetooth is not quite universal as yet.  Devices cannot be relied upon to connect up or be comparable, which can be annoying.
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others