Author Topic: Motorcycle Boots.....What do you wear?  (Read 46225 times)

Online ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
    • "Destined to Drive" Driving School
Re: Motorcycle Boots.....What do you wear?
« Reply #125 on: April 15, 2022, 12:09:11 AM »
My Alpinestar boots have started to fall apart... :fp

The gear change protector which is made of rubber has started to break down and has recently become semi detached, something I only discovered when I was about to head off on our last RTE. I quickly stuck it down with some contact adhesive but unfortunately that didn't last long, resulting in it flapping in the breeze while riding back home.

I must say I'm quite disappointed with how long they've lasted as they aren't all that old and haven't had a great deal of use...

Oh well, time to buy a new pair!

And these are what I ended up with...

Dainese Centauri Gore-Tex Boots

They arrived in the post this morning and to my surprise they actually fit!  :runyay

2005 Honda ST1300A

Bodø

« Reply #126 on: April 15, 2022, 04:12:46 AM »
After Tassie in 2019 I needed a new pair and were no longer happy with Dririder boots so put it out on the V-strøm facebook page for suggestions and as result ended up with this:

I'd always been a fan of the Dririder Storm Boot as they were extremely comfortable and waterproof.  They then "upgraded that with a 2.0 version but if you aske me the original storm boot was better.  Dririder quality has gone downhill in the last few years.  The last pants I bought tore and the back zip lost a tooth after very little use, and my last two pairs of storm 2.0 boots also have developed holes way too easily.

This morning I asked for recommendations on the AuStrøm facebook group's page and about ten people all responded with Forma Adventure boots.  A trip to AMX in Blair Athol ensued and after trying the highs and the lows walked out with a pair of lows and wore them for the ride home. Very comfortable although I did noticed what a couple of online reviews said about gear lever changes.  That said, I'll give them a proper 'running in' before whingeing about that.

Two years on and I am content.  There's no sign of wear and they are comfortable and waterproof.

The following users thanked this post: ruSTynutz

Online STeveo

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #127 on: April 15, 2022, 08:32:00 AM »
I've had Forma boots for about six years now and have had no problems or leaks with them and very comfortable for my feet.

The following users thanked this post: TouriSTs

Online ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
« Reply #128 on: April 15, 2022, 09:34:06 AM »
Re my Dainese Centauri's, I wore them most of yesterday just to break them in a bit and found them quite comfortable although with the hard sole they probably wouldn't be the best for walking long distances.

I went for a bit of a ride to try them out and found I had difficulty with gear changes but I guess that will come easier as I get used to the boot...I just need to angle my foot down a little more.

Another "issue" I found is that I can no longer wear my jeans over the boot so need to tuck them into the boot instead.
That doesn't bother me as I prefer them that way, but I'd gotten into the habit of having them over the boot as, for some reason my left boot rubbed against the fairing.
Time will tell if I have that same issue with the new boots...  :popcorn

2005 Honda ST1300A

Online Williamson

• UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #129 on: April 15, 2022, 01:16:54 PM »
The gear change protector which is made of rubber has started to break down and has recently become semi detached, something I only discovered when I was about to head off on our last RTE. I quickly stuck it down with some contact adhesive but unfortunately that didn't last long, resulting in it flapping in the breeze while riding back home.

Probably a $20 to $30 job to stitch on a bit of leather (and better than new) for any decent boot repairer.
Cheers,  Williamson (AKA Michael)

Motorcycling, the best time you can have with your pants on.
eBiking, the second best time you can have with your pants on
Afterlife, up there for the climate, down there for the company.
If I'd known I was gunna live this long, I woulda looked after myself better

Online ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
« Reply #130 on: April 15, 2022, 09:08:18 PM »
That may be so, Michael but I'm guessing the boot would then be no longer waterproof... :think1
Besides that though, the soles are quite worn down...which explains the lack of grip at times when I've come to a stop and put my foot down.

At the end of the day they weren't expensive boots and weren't made from real leather (which probably explains why my feet sweated in them so much). 

2005 Honda ST1300A

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #131 on: April 15, 2022, 09:26:08 PM »
That may be so, Michael but I'm guessing the boot would then be no longer waterproof.

That's what wax - Dubbin, Nugget, Kiwi boot polish is for.

Besides that though, the soles are quite worn down...which explains the lack of grip at times when I've come to a stop and put my foot down.

Got a coupla pair of boots soled 'n' healed only a year or two back for around $80.

At the end of the day they weren't expensive boots and weren't made from real leather (which probably explains why my feet sweated in them so much).

You can solve that problem yourself.

Online ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
« Reply #132 on: April 15, 2022, 10:14:52 PM »
Got a coupla pair of boots soled 'n' healed only a year or two back for around $80.

80 bucks! I don't think I paid much more than that for the original boots!  :eek

You can solve that problem yourself.

I did...I bought new breathable leather boots!  :grin
Combine that with my mighty bamboo socks and my feet are smelling sweet!  :runyay

Which reminds me, we never did have that sock comparison that we talked about a year or 2 ago!  :whistle

2005 Honda ST1300A

Bodø

« Reply #133 on: April 16, 2022, 04:14:34 AM »
Which reminds me, we never did have that sock comparison that we talked about a year or 2 ago! 

You Victorians are weird.  :whistle

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #134 on: April 16, 2022, 08:52:30 AM »

Only some.

80 bucks! I don't think I paid much more than that for the original boots! 

I had my RM Williams soled 'n' healed a couple of year back, don't recall cost but think it was $125, cheap compared to current cost (on the RMW website), $165.

The $80 (each pair) for the Thomas Cook Reb boots was costly compared to the original cost of ~$125 (15 years back so stretching the memory), but relative to today's RRP of $250, a good investment.

Online ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
« Reply #135 on: April 16, 2022, 10:31:08 AM »
Which reminds me, we never did have that sock comparison that we talked about a year or 2 ago! 

That's a bit mean!  :p
It's not my fault Michael wanted to compare...  :whistle

I had my RM Williams soled 'n' healed a couple of year back, don't recall cost but think it was $125, cheap compared to current cost (on the RMW website), $165.

The $80 (each pair) for the Thomas Cook Reb boots was costly compared to the original cost of ~$125 (15 years back so stretching the memory), but relative to today's RRP of $250, a good investment.

Sounds like you get very attached to your footwear, Michael! 
Oh well, I guess you're doing your bit for the planet by recycling!  :popcorn

2005 Honda ST1300A

Online ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
« Reply #136 on: November 23, 2022, 05:28:14 PM »
I decided to buy myself another pair of boots around a month ago as my other pair (see above) are likely to be too hot to wear during Summer...

I ended up with a pair of Alpinestars Ridge V2 Drystar Boots and, while not a huge lover of the red "slashes", I did get them for a good price so I'm prepared to put up with that minor inconvenience.
Due to a few health issues in recent times I have only managed a couple of short rides with them but so far, as far as comfort goes, they are looking good...  :thumbs

2005 Honda ST1300A

The following users thanked this post: CallMeSteve

Online CallMeSteve

• Steve, Ruth and STrudel
  • Legendary Member
  • Eatons Hill, Brisbane.
« Reply #137 on: November 24, 2022, 10:04:41 AM »
They look good Rusty.  AMX dont seem to have those - where did you get 'em?

Mine are the AlpineStars SMX-1 R V2.  I picked them up in a hurry the day before a big ride when I found out at the last minute that my previous boots couldnt be repaired.  At the time I was greateful just to have a pair of boots that didn't have a hole in the left sole, but they are a tad tight and are definitely not waterproof. But I think  I'd have been drawn to sdomething like yours if they'd been in the store.
A man rides on his STeed, says “Why am I short of attention? Got a short little span of attention”.

You can call me Steve, with apologies to Paul Simon.

:wht13

current:
ST1300 2014 Police

pre-kids:
CX500
CB900
CB400NB
CB350
1964 Yamaha YG-1 80cc

IBA #76608,  FR #1170

Online ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
« Reply #138 on: November 24, 2022, 04:20:24 PM »
I got them from MotoHeaven ( https://tinyurl.com/26mukduv ) but I see BikeBiz also have them...

Luckily I'd accumulated quite a few "points" from a previous purchase and from a couple of birthdays since (they give you points that don't expire) so I ended up with a saving of $40...To top things off they actually had the cheapest price as well...oh, and free shipping!  :thumbs 

2005 Honda ST1300A

The following users thanked this post: CallMeSteve

Offline Phil.S

• ST Legend
« Reply #139 on: December 06, 2022, 07:28:33 AM »
I was wearing Rossi boots for many years but they gave up the ghost back at TAS Rally , and seeing Rossi do not make Bike boots anymore I purchased a pair of Forma boots , they are very comfortable, I went with these because I have a wide foot and many others are too narrow where the Forma brand have the wider fitting.
The only problem with the Rossi boots is the sole the uppers are still in good condition just can’t get the soles repaired apparently because they are a molded sole.

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #140 on: December 06, 2022, 07:57:08 AM »
The only problem with the Rossi boots is the sole the uppers are still in good condition just can’t get the soles repaired apparently because they are a molded sole.

I have a pair of Rossi boots (with moulded soles) from the 1990's, have lasted well as they get worn only 25% of the time due to other boots sharing the load.

I have another pair of boots with moulded soles, soles wore thin with much use, was told they couldn't be repaired, a local repairer was recommended, job done, happy with repair, but will need another re-sole pretty soon.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Chris+The+Cobbler/@-37.7263675,145.0705703,20.03z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x6ad6466f3e7a0207:0x38d8322b3141279c!8m2!3d-37.7263678!4d145.0706513?hl=en

Was told the story behind the no repairs was due to o/s manufacturers using a type of synthetic that was not compatible with adhesives used for repairs.  Being Australian made, I'd be surprised if the materials used in the Rossi's were not compatible.

Offline Marcus

• Insert amusing quip here...
  • RTE Coordinator
  • It says Stringo on my shirt
« Reply #141 on: December 06, 2022, 08:17:25 AM »
I just got these dryrider ones, pretty comfy

Offline Phil.S

• ST Legend
« Reply #142 on: December 06, 2022, 08:20:26 AM »
I still have my Rossi’s , the sole has been glued back together with liquid nails and I will use them as a back up pair.

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #143 on: December 06, 2022, 08:29:21 AM »
I just got these dryrider ones, pretty comfy

I thought these may be more your style.

At those $$, they'd wanna be pretty damn good.

And at those $$$$$$, they'd wanna be pretty effing good.  Both nice looking boots though.

The following users thanked this post: Marcus

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #144 on: December 06, 2022, 09:28:26 AM »
I still have my Rossi’s , the sole has been glued back together with liquid nails and I will use them as a back up pair.

:thumbs