Author Topic: Radio Pod for ST1100  (Read 2778 times)

Offline Totgas

• Legendary Member
  • Everything is improved with "Flashing lights"
Radio Pod for ST1100
« on: February 06, 2013, 12:24:02 PM »
Australia Day weekend I finally got around to installing the radio pod and radio that I have had in the cupboard for the last two years.
The pod as shown in the pictures was standard Police issue in the UK (not sure if it was a Honda Part - don't think so) and installed by their supplier "Sonic" prior to delivery.
It is a very well made unit that fits into the left hand pocket with a rubber condom for the underside of the radio (to prevent road debris entering).
The pod takes a mini profile radio ie half the normal length. The AXIS radio is also a nice unit - big buttons for gloved fingers, nice blue backlighting AM/FM MP3 on Memory Card or external USB to Phone/Media Player.

Process involved cutting out the left pocket with hacksaw leaving only the top right and bottom left mounting points. Respraying the pod to match the current colour of the fairing and attaching a new custom top (clear perspex) The unit came with a shallow opaque perspex top that I couldn't  use with this particular radio. Add power, aerial and fit.
Had it out twice now in the rain without issue. Only problem I can see is possible theft (although it would take a few minutes to disassemble) and the perspex yellowing over time. However at $10 for a new piece of perspex, not really an issue.

Thanks to a UK ST owner for the unit.

Cheers,
Adrian.     
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 10:43:38 PM by ozsupra »
I acknowledge hardworking Australians no matter who they are or where they come from. All those who have contributed to this wonderful country deserve an equal share of gratitude for their contributions. To single any group of individuals out for special homage only denigrates the rest of us.

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
Re: Radio Pod for ST1100
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 02:08:07 PM »
L ooks good :thumbsup :thumbsup
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline bloodbikes

• Legendary Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 09:54:59 PM »
The new perspex lid was that pre-made or did you have to make it yourself?
Does it hinge like the original did? Looks good, maybe a face off stereo with a remote control set up would have been another choice.
 :wht11

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 09:59:27 PM »
Nicely done OzSupra, love your work :)
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline bloodbikes

• Legendary Member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 10:06:38 PM »
forgot to ask, where did you mount the speakers? what size did you go for and what do they sound like?
questions,questions.

Offline Totgas

• Legendary Member
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 05:33:15 PM »
Lid was sourced locally. Plastic dude made it up in 10 minutes and just glued the old hinge onto the new top. Just flips open like the original.

No speakers, just straight into the Starcom and into the helmet. It is a face off stereo, just forgot. Axial seem to be the only manufacturer I could find with mini cases these days.  There were a number of different makes 30 years ago, but I'm showing my age now.
A.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 06:18:24 PM by ozsupra »
I acknowledge hardworking Australians no matter who they are or where they come from. All those who have contributed to this wonderful country deserve an equal share of gratitude for their contributions. To single any group of individuals out for special homage only denigrates the rest of us.

Offline bloodbikes

• Legendary Member
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 06:01:44 PM »
Here are some photos i got off the internet
Showing the original lid and a DIN fitting face off stereo, nicely executed by owner.

Offline Totgas

• Legendary Member
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 06:07:06 PM »
Good find, I looked everywhere to see if there were other pictures around.

And if I do say so, "It's upside down, not straight and you can see the screws!"  :butt

A.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 06:23:43 PM by ozsupra »

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 07:29:50 PM »
That mounting system may be available at your local marine store, I recall seeeing someting like that one day.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA