Author Topic: OzeExplorer  (Read 3884 times)

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Blackwood, SA
OzeExplorer
« on: October 02, 2013, 04:34:49 PM »
Is anyone using OziExplorer as GPS/Mapping software.    I have become rather confused from reading their web site http://www.oziexplorer.com/
and am looking for feedback from anyone who has installed and is using it before I jump in.
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

Offline dougcthr

Re: OzeExplorer
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 05:11:29 PM »
I used oziexplorer when posted to Arnhemland, NT... It is not GPS software as you may understand Tom Tom or the like..... With oziexplorer you load your own 'rasterized' maps and your gps records where you are on that map.... We used it to plot bush tracks and to map the creek and tidal inlets.  It does not navigate for you but greatly assists map (or chart) based navigation. It was really good for plotting waypoints and other points of interest, attaching photos or other details....

I think I still have 1:25000 maps of most of Australia and the coastal Admiralty charts.... If not then you can get them online....

Cheers,
Doug
AKA GoGo

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 05:17:13 PM »
Thanks Doug,   What version were you using and on what platform/hardware.

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 05:33:09 PM »
Ozi has a good name Pinky.....we use Mud Maps (formerly VMS) on iPad/iPhones with great success, right down to 1:25,000 topoview topographic maps in addition to MudMaps supplied mapping.

The other big player is Hema who do most of there own hands on mapping as apposed to republishing others work.

:beer
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Offline Abe

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • 4D Gang Member
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 05:42:59 PM »
Here is some more info for you Peter.

I run it in the hilux, but haven't really needed to use it.  I take the good old paper maps.

http://www.exploroz.com/OntheRoad/Navigation/Using_DigitalMaps_MappingSoftware.aspx
At my age " getting lucky" is remembering what I came in the room for ;)

:wht13      Cheers Dave
Member of the 4 D Gang

Offline dougcthr

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 06:03:47 PM »
Thanks Doug,   What version were you using and on what platform/hardware.

I cannot remember the version but I used it 2001 - 2005 on a pentium III laptop...
Doug
AKA GoGo

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 08:55:17 PM »
I have been using it on n off for years, (10-15 0r so) Its a very good program.

Whether its any good for you, depends on what you want it to do. I used to use it for designing Nav routes for simple Garmin GPS units ( GPS II+  and so on) for the trainee pilots at Pearce to do long distance navs, or to download the track that they had flown and compare to where they should have been.

There are versions for android and I pads as well, useful for a moving map to tell you where you are, but as has been said its no good for street navigation.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

atoyot

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 09:33:46 PM »
I also used to use it off road, as I have copies of a whole heap of topo maps all over AU as well. As others have mentioned, not great for road navigation, as even though the maps are digital, they are simply flat images of paper maps where the maps are calibrated to co-incide with your current location from GPS NMEA data; pretty much a moving map showing your location, speed etc. It doesn't actually recognise the fact that you might be on a road, and if you have a destination set, it can only tell you how far away it is in a straight line. Best to actually get a demo from someone who has used it, if that doesn't make sense. I've pretty much stopped using it now and I use the Garmin topo maps that are actually digital maps, not an image of a map.

It really does come down to what you want to use it on, and how you want to use it, but for my mind, on a bike you'd need to use it on a small screen device with copies of all maps loaded, and the main benefit comes if you have topo maps to overlay. Great software for specific needs, but I suspect a bit limited for road use.

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 07:42:26 AM »
Thanks for the comments so far.   When travelling we carry a wad of paper maps and it's an electronic "moving map" system that I'm looking for, and not turn by turn navigation, and certainly not for use on the bike.   I have a Garmin GPS in the 4WD with the Aussie topo maps installed, which displays the same amount of data as the 1:150,000 maps, but it only shows a tiny window of the map at any one time, and I loose the "big picture".   I don't have an iPad type device at the moment.
I would like to get a look at a iPad or Android with the system installed and I might need to take a trip the Adelaide's Map Shop and have a chat.

atoyot

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 05:14:02 PM »
I'm sure there are a lot of posts on Exploroz in relation to OziExplorer, as it is very popular for off-roaders running off laptops to take advantage of the larger screens they use. Not sure about iPads.

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 07:15:13 AM »
I just wanted to put this topic to bed.   I have finished up buying a Asus Transformer (Android) tablet, and have installed OziExplorer.    I also purchased the full set of Hema Maps, which I have installed to use with OziExplorer.  http://www.hemamaps.com.au/en/Buy/Apps%20and%20Digital%20Maps/Digital%20Maps/Australia-4WD-Raster-Map-DVD

The whole setup now works a treat, and is a very effective large screen, off-line, "moving map" GPS, with a great set of maps.