Author Topic: South Coast Ride - 6th December 2013. Wollongong, Batemans Bay, Bungendore etc.  (Read 12396 times)

Offline jwm

• ST Legend
Saaz, its just over 100km from Nowra to Batemans Bay, I would expect to be there at about 10am. From there it's not far to Nelligen, certainly should be at Nelligen by 10.30am. I usually turn left just over the bridge (west side of the river) and stop at the park on the river at the little cafe on the corner.

Another mate, Tony, is coming for the ride on his BMTroubleU. Or maybe he's just coming to my place for the night to drink my beer, not sure but I said we'd tolerate him.

See you guys tomorrow.

Offline saaz

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Canberra ACT
Ok, I will aim to be at the Nelligen cafe at 10.30 or before.  It is a nice spot to just sit around by the river anyway.

Saaz, its just over 100km from Nowra to Batemans Bay, I would expect to be there at about 10am. From there it's not far to Nelligen, certainly should be at Nelligen by 10.30am. I usually turn left just over the bridge (west side of the river) and stop at the park on the river at the little cafe on the corner.

Another mate, Tony, is coming for the ride on his BMTroubleU. Or maybe he's just coming to my place for the night to drink my beer, not sure but I said we'd tolerate him.

See you guys tomorrow.
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline ST.George

• ST.George and his ST1300 Red Dragon (Wyvern)
  • Legendary Member
  • DIY not DYI(Do Yourself In) "The Gong"Southern NSW
Johnnyyted and I are here in the Gong ready 2 go in the morn 2 meet at Nowra at 8:30 With bells on.  :hatwave
:beer Cheers :beer Gregory
:rd13   Best Bred is Red   :rd13
"Spock - there's a black hole on the other side of Uranus".
"Illogical Captain".
I think I might be indecisive, I'm not sure, maybe - maybe not.
Yamaha TX500; Yamaha DT360; BMW 650 Boxer; 2003 ST1300 Red Dragon

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
And a beaut day it is too compared to yesterday  :hatwave
John
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline sargent

• Every days a new adventure
  • Legendary Member
  • ST Rider - Collector, NSW
Sitting at work wishing I was there!!!
Robert - White ST1100P (they're just better)

Offline jwm

• ST Legend
I got home just after 4pm, cut my ride a little bit short and headed home through Nerriga as I was a little worried by our missing Yamaha Scooter Rider. He wasn't  home when I reached Callala Bay but he rang me just after 5pm to say he had arrived safely.
He said he went to Bungendore and couldn't find us, not sure how you miss that many motorcycles all lined up in a row, so he turned around and went through to Goulburn, had something to eat and then headed home. Anyway, it turned out alright.

I really enjoyed the ride and re acquainting myself with those I had met before and meeting others for the first time.

Now for the next ride I thought we might go to............?

Cheers guys.

Offline single

• Oldie But A Goodie from Sydney
I had a fantastic day at work :crackup
So glad I decided not to go riding :||||
 :well :cuss

Glad you guys had a good day for it.

Maybe I'll get there next time :thumbsup
LIVE TO RIDE
RIDE TO LIVE

Offline RockyRural

• Bugger work, where's the bike?
Great ride today and great company
 :dred11 :dred11

Offline Kingy

• ST Legend
Thanks for your company guys I had a great day. John, Tony and I really enjoyed the run up to Oberon after we left you, hardly any traffic to speak of. That six cylinder BM really moves and handles well too. There was virtually nothing on the Bells Line of Road on my way home and I thought it was lovely to be able to just keep motoring along without being caught behind slow moving traffic. Once again thanks for your company guys and looking forward to some more runs together.   

Offline johnnyYTED

• STranger 1100 n BEEstY 1330cc
 :dred11     
I rode over to Mt Ousley thursday arvo and enjoyed the evenings hospitality with Gregory  ST Geoge,Therese and youngans.
Fri   up early (for me) and  we headed of to Sth Nowra  to meet JWM, Kingy ( ) and the 'lil scoot' , then on to Nelligen ... hmmm  coffee,, yes please,stopping at Ulladulla Harbour.

We meet Saaz, very nice Trophy :thumbsup and Rocky Rural by the river in Nelligen.

the ride to Braidwood and Bungendore was fun, I really enjoyed the pace set.  WOW the BMTrouble U ,,, I'm sure it would get me into Trouble,,  :law

After a STeak n kidney pie, a casul coffee,,hhmmm coffee,,  and  chats we headed off towards home. JWM peeled of at Tarago, ST George  and I rode back via the Hume, Picton Rd back to Gregery's,oops I left somthing at ur place,,  then alone rode off home to Leumeah,  631 k's for the ride.  :thumb
 Thanks everyone  for a gr8 ride today,  :hatwave "where we going nxt???
Picton  if it doesn’t flood higher than previous times.
mobile 047 4488 436 
IBA#59147, FarRider #732
STranger 1998 ST1100, x Police
STrangler ST1300 2007 Charcoal Grey.
BEEstY 2017 Can-Am Daytona 1330.
maybe something with a little extra
:dred11 :Spyder

Offline ST.George

• Legendary Member

Days of Unusualities!

I have just had a cupla days of unusual (interesting) events. My only regret is that I don't have fotos 2 show cause my darlin' daughter Danika took the SD card out of my new camera 2 update her Facebook with the 200 pix of her first school formal. So I'll have 2 try and paint a picture of the South Coast ride with words.

I invited JohnnyYted 2 stay Thurs night and we had a good chat 2 the wee small hours. Headed for Nowra bright and early Friday morn 2 join JWM and friends. Noticed an amazing 6-cyl BMTroubleU and a capable-looking Yamaha Majesty scooter.

Off 2 Ulladulla where fotos were shot of the bikes in front of the sparkling waters of the beautiful harbour there. Then 2 picturesque, peaceful Nelligen where we met Saaz and RockyRural and enjoyed good coffee and dirty rotten filthy biker stories. Across the road was a Russian Ural sidecar rig which was cool cause Johnny and I were talking about them the night b4. Saaz' mighty impressive new blue Triumph Trophy Triple made its Ozstoc debut. JohnnyYted was explaining the Trophy's virtues to interested passer-by tourists by pretending it was his new bike. Shame on u Johnny!

Off 2 Bungendore via Braidwood 4 lunch. The windey road was smooth and enjoyable in the main and the countryside verdant and sublime, atmosphere was clear and fresh and the sunshine was warm and exhilarating. Gr8 riding conditions.

JWM had obviously paid the Bureau of Meteorology a sufficiently high bribe to grant us a bloody nice day of riding with good company. And, of course, the red bikes dominated again. Wyvern the dragon red 1300 was pleased. Even the Beemer was red!
  :hatwave :rd13 :13Candy :rd13 :dred11 :rd13
 :wht13 :blu13 :blk13

"Illogical Captain".

Offline johnnyYTED

• STranger 1100 n BEEstY 1330cc
:dred11
Days of Unusualities!

Saaz' mighty impressive new blue Triumph Trophy Triple made its Ozstoc debut. JohnnyYted was explaining the Trophy's virtues to interested passer-by tourists by pretending it was his new bike. Shame on u Johnny! :fp :fp :fp :fp :fp

:-((( :-((( :-((( :-(((  >:()
I ALMOST sold it to that bloke,,,    :grin :grin GREEN with ENVY,, I was.  :grin :grin [/color
we were talking Ulysses stuff  as he is a 'Disgraceful Ol Fart' and owns a Kwaka 1000 and his old Honda Bol'Dor. he asked about who we were ,where from etc and I told him about OZSToc. Saaz's Triumph Trophy was in on full show, standing proudly the first bike in line.   
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 10:10:47 AM by johnnyYTED »
Picton  if it doesn’t flood higher than previous times.
mobile 047 4488 436 
IBA#59147, FarRider #732
STranger 1998 ST1100, x Police
STrangler ST1300 2007 Charcoal Grey.
BEEstY 2017 Can-Am Daytona 1330.
maybe something with a little extra
:dred11 :Spyder

Offline Kingy

• ST Legend
Just as an aside to the South Coast ride. Tony on the BMW 6 and I went home via Oberon etc as I have already posted. We were moving along a bit as there was no traffic, nothing over the posted speed limit.....of course!!!!!!! Well we did need to see how the BMW went (he has only had it a week) and I can tell you it really does have some go. Anyway on Saturday my wife and I drove to Milthorpe to have dinner with Tony and his wife and to work on his late model 'Wing's brakes (a complicated story best left for another time). I suggested we check the oil level of the new BMW as it was an issue two days after he picked it up from Worthington's BMW at Gosford. Guess what????........no sign of oil on the dip stick!!!!!! Didn't matter how often we checked it...no oil showing. We topped it up and it took 900 mls......that is in about 900 to 1000 ks. The bike is one year old and had 22000 ks on it when Tony bought it. Me thinks I know why the previous owner  unloaded it!!!!! To my mind this is totally unacceptable....got me thinking though...haven't checked the oil on the ST 1300 for a while and about 2500 ks.   No surprises here..oil sitting exactly on the full line as per the last service (bike has 13000 ks on it.) I am sure that is one of the reasons we all love and ride ST's, quality and total reliability. My ST 1100 was exactly the same. Talk about German quality!!!!!! Tony is now carefully recording mileage and oil consumption preparing to hit Worthington's with a warranty claim. Any thoughts out there? What do you guys think? I reckon Worthington's will adopt the line that the consumption of a litre of oil per 1000 ks, is within spec. They have already done this to some degree. Certainly that sort of oil consumption is not acceptable to this little black duck.

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
I would agree that that is unacceptable on a new bike.  Some car makers try and take the line that it is with normal usage.  I also checked up on the 1600 and have not heard anyone say that oil usage is normal, but I have not been following these issues for the 1600 for a number of months now.  This is not a bad place to look at http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/index.php

Was the oil on the high mark to start with?  I would get right on to the dealer and register the possible issue. The procedure for checking is below now (I seem to recall they run a dry sump type arrangement with 2 drain plugs - I am a bit rusty on it now) . They can then check the oil level and distance to satisfy themselves that the check is being done correctly, and from then on record distance and any oil needed to be added to get back to the top mark. If needs be get the dealer to check it at an agreed distance.   The sooner the bike gets on their radar and documented the better.  It is not unusual for cars to be put on an oil watch.

I had really only noticed on the ST1100 that the oil level dropped from high to middle or a bit lower between 10,000kms to 15,000kms oil changes. That is at 213,000kms mind!

Edit!  Just found this (in US miles and quarts)
first you need to make sure you are checking the oil by the book.
1) bike is at operating temp.
2) Put on center Stand.
3) idle till fans come on.
4) shut off bike.
5) check oil after about 1 minute.

I use Valvoline 10W40 Motorcycle oil from Walmart as it meets all the BMW requirements.

My light has come on a few times & I've never add more then 1/4 of a quart. Plus the bike has used about 1/2 quart per 6000 miles till about 25K now it uses none.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 01:31:13 PM by saaz »
John
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline ST.George

• Legendary Member
Good advice Saaz re the quite obvious over consumption of oil. What u r essentially saying is that a case by a non-mechanic customer must be presented to a dealer professionally, ie, to mechanically correct standards.

The dealer knows then that the customer truly understands the problem and could present a case to legal firms that r looking 4 cases they can't lose and therefore take a chunk of the payout. Tony could create a document that details the oil consumption procedure. Present this 2 the dealer and politely but strongly ask the dealer to fix the problem or refund or a no-win/no-pay legal action will be instigated from Tony's home town (that I gather is not Gosford). There are plenty of legal firms who know the consumer is being bluffed and can't lose provided the case is presented correctly. To fight the case the Gosford dealer will have 2 b prepared to have legal representation travel (at increased cost). Could b wrong about that coz the locality of the case might have 2 b where the problem occurred. However that does seem to b unfair 2 the buyer who has gone 2 the trouble of shopping statewide.

There is another legal remedy thru Fair Trading. A general principal in any consumer transaction that will be upheld by FT is that the goods purchased must b of reasonable quality as per the age of the goods and unexpired warranties. A 1-yr old bike (or thereabouts) should not b consuming oil at that rate unless the bike was incorrectly run-in or was manufactured with faults.

And I hope that this whole problem is not being caused by BMW's refusal to honour their warranty because they consider this type of consumption 2 b normal. Again, Tony, call Fair Trading. They will b on your side. Tell the dealer u have contacted them and they r on your side. Fair Trading will back u up. I have been following a few of their cases on ABC radio and they r good with real results. http://m.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/
Could take a while tho.  :||||  Good luck with it, Tony. I had a Beemer 650 once and it had real character and while it leaked oil from a head gasket, it hardly used any - nothing like 900ml per 1000km!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 04:54:36 PM by ST.George »
"Illogical Captain".

Offline jwm

• ST Legend
Section 54(2) of the ACL provides that goods are of acceptable quality if they are:
i. fit for all the purposes for which goods of that kind are commonly supplied;
and
ii. acceptable in appearance and finish; and
iii. free from defects; and
iv. safe: and
v. durable.,

Remedies
Wide remedies are available to consumers against both suppliers and manufacturers
of goods or services for failure to comply with a statutory guarantee.
When a consumer guarantee has been breached, the remedy depends on whether
the breach is classed as a “major” or “minor” failure.
If a failure is “major” then the consumer can choose the remedy they want – for
example they can elect to return the product for a refund or get a new replacement.
A failure is “major” if:
(a) a reasonable consumer who knew of the problem would not have
purchased the goods or;
(b) the goods depart in one or more significant respects from the
description sample or demonstration model; or
(c) the goods are unfit for the purpose for which they are commonly
supplied or unfit for a disclosed purpose and this cannot be remedied
within a reasonable time; or
(d) the goods are unsafe

Offline Kingy

• ST Legend
Tony lives out near Orange, NSW and has a legal background as do JWM and I. His former partner was an investigator with Fair Trading so he has a good understanding of the goings on there. We did check the oil as per the instruction manual, i.e. idle until fans come on, leave for at least one minute and check dip stick, without engaging the threads on same. He is carefully recording miles ridden, oil needed to be added to restore level to full mark on dip stick etc. He intends contacting Worthingtons in a short while after gathering more data. Another problem is that the oil quantity/warning light is now not registering on the dash board computer. It did work two days after he took delivery of the bike, as the electronic warning of low engine oil first alerted him to the problem. It was then taken back to Worthingtons (after two days of ownership mind) on a flat top truck. Two days later they contacted him and said there was nothing wrong with the bike. One can only assume that they at least checked and topped up the oil prior to giving it back to him. They then stated the oil consumption was normal when he questioned them about it and that the oil was at the correct level when he first picked it up. If so that would mean it had used the oil in about 300 ks as he had only ridden it for the two days as stated.  This dealer has certainly gone down in my estimation. I believe that the bike was traded and that they resold the bike without doing a thing to it. I saw it in their workshop and knowing that Tony was interested in buying one, told him about it. Three to four weeks later when he got the chance he went and looked at and subsequently bought it. It was filthy when I saw it and filthy when Tony took delivery. The pipes were stained and very dirty. He only went a short distance after taking delivery and a warning light for low front tyre pressure flashed on. He fixed this by obviously putting the correct pressure in the tyre which was about 15 psi low. Shortly after the same thing happened with the rear tyre. (I know...why did he not check the rear at the same time as inflating the front tyre?) That's Tony.  Anyway the saga continues and I will keep posting results..if any for those interested. 

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
I for one would be interested in how things pan out.  Nothing to do with BMWs etc etc, but just how a dealer handles such issues.  One thing I thought about was that the previous owner might have been too easy during run in so the bike may have not bedded in properly.  may take a while to get over that.

Hope it all gets sorted, as Tony seems to really like the bike.
John
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline ST.George

• Legendary Member
This sad string of events is becoming interestinger and interestinger. The grubby, careless state of presentation of the bike must have caused a few butterflies to flutter in Tony's guts when he took delivery.

I gave the bike a really close look at Bungendore and it was very impressively presented then. German engineering is very erratic. I had a Boxer 650 that had oil problems and various parts like locks, panniers etc that were broken. I had a VW station wagon that caught fire while I was driving over a bridge in Ipswich. The driver behind me stopped to help and when he saw the fire, jumped back in his car and bolted! (BTW the initials VW have more syllables than 'Volkswagen' - go figure?).

Anyway, I was most amazed how the Kraut engineers had designed a 6 cyl motorcycle engine in the space taken by an average 4. If Tony had asked whether I wanted a test ride on it I would have accepted instantly, so well balanced the whole bike appeared to be.

However, this appears to be a clear case of a careless dealer trying to make a quick profit on a prestigious bike that was not checked for faults before sale. Is it a lemon or a sourkraut?  :o

I can see no reason why Fair Trading should not back this case to the hilt. Hopefully, Tony gets a fair result in a reasonably short period of time.
"Illogical Captain".

Offline Kingy

• ST Legend
You should see it now. On Saturday Tony and I got stuck into it. Washed polished waxed etc. It really made a difference and lifted his spirits somewhat....I hope!. It now presents as I feel it should have when he took delivery! When is our next ride!!!!!!!!!!

Offline jwm

• ST Legend
Next Ride? Kingy, I'm thinking of doing something next Wednesday, 18/12/13, I'll give you a ring.

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
Wednesday 18th might be of interest to me as well. Let us know.
John
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline Kingy

• ST Legend
It is a possibility John, I will talk to you.

Offline A2Z

• Horsley, NSW
Sounds like it was a fantastic ride down the coast. Bloody jealous! :||||
Red, loud, rowdy, and proud.

I don't want a pickle...I just wanna ride my motorcikle!