Author Topic: ST1100 Dash Shelf  (Read 7909 times)

Offline Totgas

• Legendary Member
  • Everything is improved with "Flashing lights"
ST1100 Dash Shelf
« on: August 24, 2014, 11:02:58 AM »
ST1100 Dash Shelf

Items Needed:
•   Aluminum sheet metal at least 2mm thick and checkerboard pattern
•   Angle grinder
•   Straight file
•   Different grades of sandpaper
•   Rubber mallet
•   Hacksaw blade
•   Drill and 2 & 5mm drill bits
•   Scribe or sharp nail
•   Paint – metal primer and topcoat (recommend matt black)
•   Vice
•   1hr not including paint drying time
•   Small washers – Optional (6)

Note: the shape of this shelf (my own design) maximises available space without restricting your view of the warning lights.

I recently bought a new GPS (A TomTom Rider) to replace the ALDI one I had had for the last 4 years (A Go-Cruise) Great GPS – much maligned.
My original dash shelf was made of light weight metal and as a result the TomTom bounced around quite a lot.
First off I made a new mounting bracket instead of using the ram mount that came with the TomTom (as it was quite high) but the bounce continued. My plan was therefore to remove the bounce from the dash shelf by making a second shelf this time out of a much thicker material.

So off to Bunnings and I picked up a 2mm Checkerboard Aluminum sheet for $34.00.

My original 1mm shelf I was able to cutout with tin snips but this one was a little harder so I decided on the angle grinder. I removed my windscreen and then the existing shelf, bashed it with a rubber hammer (until it was quite dead and flat) and made up a template which needs to be mirrored.

After tracing the image on the back of the metal sheet I cut out the shape with the grinder. There was plenty of sheet left over for the next project.

However as you can see the grinder leave a fairly rough edge

So the first order of business is to remove all the rough edges with a file then sandpaper. Don’t be tempted to use a mechanical sanding device as it will damage the edges.

Finally sand the entire underside of the plate (which is actually the top of the shelf) as this creates a nice rough surface for the paint to bond to. Also using a hacksaw blade tidy up the cuts next to the front legs.

Place the shelve in the vice and using a rubber mallet bend the legs and side tabs accordingly. (I always bend these the wrong way initially so think about the direction they need to go in)

Now drill the holes with a 2mm drill and then the 5mm. The holes need to be reasonably close to the edge as below.

With this done, you are ready for a test fit. I will guarantee that the holes will not align 100%.

However, the fact that we have made this out of aluminum means that the legs can be adjusted to fit perfectly. (Hint – always fit the side tabs first and never tighten any bolt up until all are in place)

Time for a final sand, clean and spray with a suitable primer for aluminum. (Hint – If you are going to mount accessories on the shelf [isn’t that what it’s for] and you know exactly where they are going, then drill the holes now).
 I use dry gal as my primer for everything and it works fine.

After a suitable drying time (1hr for the Gal) spray the top coat or two.

Nearly there….. One final tip the front legs will be sitting on plastic that is not completely flat. If you are anal like me about your bike, you may want the stick three small washers together to place them between the leg and the plastic, this will prevent the plastic cracking over time – trust me)

Fit and farklise…
Regards,
Adrian

« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 06:02:08 PM by Totgas »
I acknowledge hardworking Australians no matter who they are or where they come from. All those who have contributed to this wonderful country deserve an equal share of gratitude for their contributions. To single any group of individuals out for special homage only denigrates the rest of us.

The following users thanked this post: Gerard & Sandra, Flubby - (Duanne}

Online NTRebel

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • red centre red bike
Re: ST1100 Dash Shelve
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 02:08:11 PM »
heythanks Totgas
 Paul
I'm not strange i'm just not normal {Salvador Dahli}

Offline Abe

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • 4D Gang Member
Re: ST1100 Dash Shelve
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 02:55:42 PM »
Totgas, excellent write up and details.  :like :like :like
At my age " getting lucky" is remembering what I came in the room for ;)

:wht13      Cheers Dave
Member of the 4 D Gang

Offline Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
Re: ST1100 Dash Shelf
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 07:26:53 PM »
Awesome work :thumbsup
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

Online Kev Murphy

• "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • 98 ST1100 Portland, SW Vic coastal.
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 03:59:34 PM »
Nice job, well done.... might look into this project in the very near future.

This is what I currently have as mount for the tomtom....I have to look down, and its prone to sunlight reflection on the screen.
(Damn!.... bike needs a good wash and de-bugging after last trip in the rain.)

Somebody remind me to paint that bracket for the Oxford grips thermostat?

0428 306 496

kjmurphy2@bigpond.com

Offline Greencan

• Legendary Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 06:42:14 PM »
Nice Result :thumb

My original 1mm shelf I was able to cutout with tin snips but this one was a little harder so I decided on the angle grinder.

And not to put a dampner on the thread, but judging but the pics you look to as if you used a compressed gritted wheel of some descriprion with your angle grinder.

If so, I would urge some considerable caution of this combination and aluminium as it melts and not cuts it way through and thus will clog and can cause the disc to catastrophical fail. I know this having had to treat a bloke who found this out, the painful way.

Just a thought,

Ciao the can :-)

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 06:51:03 PM »
One would hope that a proper Aluminium cutting disc was used

As an aside,never ever grind anything other than steel on a bench grinder. The wheel will clog and may expode. I have had to dress a few wheels that have been incorrectly used.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Totgas

• Legendary Member
  • Everything is improved with "Flashing lights"
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 10:08:30 PM »
And not to put a dampner on the thread, but judging but the pics you look to as if you used a compressed gritted wheel of some description with your angle grinder.

Valid point, never use a compressed material wheel for cutting aluminum   ;-*  ;-*  ;-*
I acknowledge hardworking Australians no matter who they are or where they come from. All those who have contributed to this wonderful country deserve an equal share of gratitude for their contributions. To single any group of individuals out for special homage only denigrates the rest of us.

Offline sargent

• Every days a new adventure
  • Legendary Member
  • ST Rider - Collector, NSW
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2014, 06:14:34 PM »
Excellent......
That looks amazing and thank you for putting up such a detailed plan and instructions.

:Blow
Robert - White ST1100P (they're just better)

Offline Joso

• Joso
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2015, 06:21:24 PM »
Thanks  for the post will try this plan :wht11 :hatwave