Author Topic: OzSTOC SS1600K - so it begins.....  (Read 62892 times)

Offline Lionel

• Legendary Member
Re: OzSTOC SS1600K - so it begins.....
« Reply #125 on: July 26, 2014, 06:50:31 PM »
The section between Goulburn and Yass is the one part of the Hume Highway that worries me at night. Fortunately, not an issue for this ride.

Offline Abe

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • 4D Gang Member
« Reply #126 on: July 26, 2014, 06:53:13 PM »
The section between Goulburn and Yass is the one part of the Hume Highway that worries me at night. Fortunately, not an issue for this ride.

Why is that  :think1:cop
At my age " getting lucky" is remembering what I came in the room for ;)

:wht13      Cheers Dave
Member of the 4 D Gang

Offline Lionel

• Legendary Member
« Reply #127 on: July 26, 2014, 06:57:53 PM »
Never had a problem with the boys in blue on the Hume. I always keep below 120km/h, even though I think they're not interested in anyone travelling under 125 km/h.
Its the suicidal roos that worry me. There seems to be more of them along that stretch than anywhere else.

Offline Gadget

• UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Just Ridin'
« Reply #128 on: July 26, 2014, 07:44:02 PM »
TJ,

I've loaded the two Jillby Caltex and the Dog on the Tuckerbox Servos into the GPS on the phone, but I can't remember what the servo at the start point is.

A refresher on what log books to keep along the way would be handy.

As much as I love technology, I think I'll do a paper copy just in case.
Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Then  :blu13 Now :Spyder
Life's too short to be miserable, so enjoy it! :)
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Mob: 04 2448 3555

Offline tj189

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Brisbane
« Reply #129 on: July 26, 2014, 11:44:58 PM »
BACK
Approximate arrival at Caltex Warnervale (Jillby) 452Km - 4.20pm  refuel/coffee break 20min  - depart  4.22pm

TJ, now that's a very quick stop, I will have to practice   :rofl

Laughed myself with that one, I am not very good at my stops
IBA #38035
FarRider #189
Ulysses #42456

Offline tj189

• Brisbane
« Reply #130 on: July 26, 2014, 11:52:54 PM »
TJ,

I've loaded the two Jillby Caltex and the Dog on the Tuckerbox Servos into the GPS on the phone, but I can't remember what the servo at the start point is.

A refresher on what log books to keep along the way would be handy.

As much as I love technology, I think I'll do a paper copy just in case.

BP coffs harbour out on the highway 380 Pacific Hwy it has the Maccas there as well  -30.318403,153.089319 

A copy of a ride log that you may wish to use will be posted up shortly from ST2UP,  I have done up one for our ride, so feel free to use it or not use it if you already have your own.  I will need a copy of your ride logs at the end as we will be keeping them for a few months in case the IBA do a quality control check.  The information from the the IBA site on writing up the log is also on the log sheet.

Thanks Gatey  :beer you know what for.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 03:30:44 PM by tj189 »
IBA #38035
FarRider #189
Ulysses #42456

Offline Gadget

• Just Ridin'
« Reply #131 on: July 29, 2014, 10:03:51 PM »
Thanks TJ  ++

I went back to IBA site and found the following at http://www.ironbutt.com/ridecerts/getdocument.cfm?DocID=30

STEP THREE: Collect and track receipts

Before the start, you will want to try gas stations to find one that has a receipt with a good location, time and date on it to document the start of your ride.

Fill up your gas tank and obtain a computer printed gas receipt with a legible date and time stamp. NOTE: Many gas stations in both the United States and in Europe are printing an "invoice number" which is actually the time of the transaction for example, you might see Inv# 113557 which means 11:35:57 am. You may also elect to use a bank ATM receipt with a time and date stamp for your start time.

* * * THE COMPUTER TIME STAMP WILL BE YOUR OFFICIAL STARTING TIME * * *

The following log entries and completed witness forms are mandatory:

Log entries must be made at each gas stop (sample attached). A log entry includes the following information; DATE, TIME, TIME ZONE, LOCATION (i.e. Moline, IL) and ODOMETER reading. A receipt must accompany each log book entry (please note, that the receipts from these gas stops, where possible possible should include a date stamp - we do NOT care about time stamps on these receipts, do not waste time worrying about time stamps, the only time stamps that are critical are the start and finish receipts!).

In order for the verification team to account for your time (important for the verification work they do), log entries must be made at each stop longer than 20 minutes (for example you decide to stop at a roadside rest stop for a nap or get a motel room during the ride). Each entry for extended stops must include the approximate length of the stop or the start time and ending time. Meals that take longer than 20 minutes are considered rest stops - where possible please try and obtain a restaurant receipt. Obviously, many types of stops, for example a stop in a rest area, will not generate any kind of receipt - this is acceptable, but please account for the time in your trip log.

WARNING: If your motorcycle is equipped with a large fuel-tank, please note that you must stop at least once every 600 kilometers for gas (this is purely for documentation for your ride). Although we know it is possible to ride greater distances non-stop, we will not accept a claim of this type.

At the end of your ride, before the 24 hour time period is up, obtain a computer printed gas receipt with a legible location, date and time stamp.

* * * THE COMPUTER TIME STAMP BE YOUR OFFICIAL ENDING TIME * * *
Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Offline Malcolm6112

• Legendary Member
  • Armadale WA
« Reply #132 on: August 16, 2014, 04:10:40 PM »
Here's a little encouragement that I got in the mail today. 
Participants in the OzSTOC SS1600 will receive something similar, but they will get theirs straight away, not 2 months (or sometimes more) later.

How can this happen? There's no one in Australia who can verify that the ride was done. Sort of cheapens the IBA name one would think, getting the cert before it's all verified.

:blu13
Malcolm
2004  ST1300A

Farrider 518
IBA       58213

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
« Reply #133 on: August 16, 2014, 04:39:44 PM »
How can this happen? There's no one in Australia who can verify that the ride was done. Sort of cheapens the IBA name one would think, getting the cert before it's all verified.

TJ has been working very closely with the IBA to make all this happen, and we have to complete the ride before we get anything.

TJ is in charge of that part, he is the holder of the certificates  :thumb

The way I understand it, it will be verified, this sort of thing has been done before with the IBA in various countries, lots of rules and regs have to ticked off  :thumb 

« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 04:45:11 PM by Streak »
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline Gadget

• Just Ridin'
« Reply #134 on: August 16, 2014, 04:51:18 PM »
Here's a little encouragement that I got in the mail today. 
Participants in the OzSTOC SS1600 will receive something similar, but they will get theirs straight away, not 2 months (or sometimes more) later.

TJ will probably have the full answer. 

My understanding is that there will be an IBA representative or two at the start and finish point who will verify the paperwork on site before  the certificates are issued.

The documentation will be help for the requisite time for submission to IBA if required. 

Added to that is that fact there will be more than 10 people travelling the same route at roughly the same time, so is quite likely there will be additional evidence in the form of photographs and witnesses as to the veracity of the trip.

I'm not sure how it would cheapen the IBA name.  I'm sure the volunteers a the IBA USA don't want a flood of paperwork to verify either.
Cheers,
Gary
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Offline tj189

• Brisbane
« Reply #135 on: August 17, 2014, 02:04:21 PM »

[/quote]
Malcolm, as far as I am aware and I agree with you, there is no one in Australia who can verify that the ride was done.  Oh hang on, I think from memory Pat did one for the Davo ride or was heavily involved in it, you may like to chat to him regarding that though.

Now, I am sure, before you fired off this post you had already looked at the post located here http://ozstoc.com/index.php?topic=6639.0 and read what was entered in the text, especially the bit after;
"At the completion of this ride members will be presented with their IBA OZSTOC SS1600K certificate, other items described below and accordingly their membership to the IBA (if not already a member).  Please read the general information below to see how this works."

Now, if you have and you did not understand the IBA requirements, then maybe a PM requesting clarification, would have been a better option rather than an innuendo, that what is happening is outside the requirements of the IBA or in your words "cheapens the IBA name".  You could not be further from the truth. What is occurring, fits entirely within IBA requirements.  Anyone can organise and conduct a ride of this nature anywhere in the world, the rules are the same for everyone.  The idea behind this ride was and is to encourage safe long distance riding, specifically for OzSTOC members that may have been a bit unsure of how to go about it.  Thankfully we have a bit of a mix for this ride.

The OzSTOC SS1600K is being conducted under the rules/requirements of the IBA, verification of the ride, as for all Australian rides is conducted by the IBA.  The verification process is still conducted by the IBA and all information goes to the US.

No certificates will be presented to participants until the ride has been completed.

Malcolm, I am not sure of your reasoning in your comments but they are unfounded for this ride, should you have other information to the contrary then please share it.

I do, however apologise if I have not been clear enough in the requirements for this ride, that is on me and not OzSTOC.  I have attempted to be transparent in its conduct to ensure that there would be no opportunity for riders to think that this ride was not being conducted under the requirements of the IBA...... I have failed in my attempt to do that,  therefore I can only say that I am sorry.

IBA #38035
FarRider #189
Ulysses #42456

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #136 on: August 17, 2014, 04:02:58 PM »

I wonder if Malcolm somehow thinks that ride I did was sponsored by OzSTOC in some way.  If he reads the certificate he can clearly see the route was to the Ballarat OzSTOC annual Ride, but was conducted as an Australian Saddle Sore 1600 and was verified by the IBA's studying the detailed documents I submitted.

The upcoming OzSTOC SS1600 will be certified by the IBA but will be ridden as a group under the OzSTOC "flag".

The IBA jealously guards the authenticity of their certificates and will take (and has taken) legal action against those who infringe the copyright.  So every certificate is earned, as I have the four I have.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline johnnyYTED

• STranger 1100 n BEEstY 1330cc
« Reply #137 on: August 18, 2014, 02:26:46 PM »
 :dred11
room booked at the inn for myself and sargent.  :thumb
another step closer in doing my 1ST IBA ride.  :runyay
Picton  if it doesn’t flood higher than previous times.
mobile 047 4488 436 
IBA#59147, FarRider #732
STranger 1998 ST1100, x Police
STrangler ST1300 2007 Charcoal Grey.
BEEstY 2017 Can-Am Daytona 1330.
maybe something with a little extra
:dred11 :Spyder

Offline scarp

• Legendary Member
  • Huntingdale, Westralia
« Reply #138 on: August 18, 2014, 08:07:41 PM »
Having done these sort of rides myself & having talked to lots of people at rides, forums etc most people will wait months before certification & that's just the way it is & how I understand the rules to be.
Now I have never gone thru all the IBA rules & regs & so I believe you when you say it is with in the rules & that your being transparent & I don't think that Malcolm was saying otherwise.
He & I went for a ride on Sunday & we were discussing this, I have never heard of a situation that allows those on an IBA ride to receive their certificates before the IBA has checked all the paperwork, so theoretically you could hand out all the certificates & two months later the IBA say's that a person has not qualified for whatever reason what happens then?
I think this is the point he was trying to make
Also in the interests of being perfectly transparent it is the right of any member of this forum to comment on any topic in the public arena as long as they are not being derogatory to other members
Anyway I wish you all the best with this hope you all have a successful & safe ride
FR# 431
IBA# 60317

Offline Wombattle

• ST Owner
« Reply #139 on: August 18, 2014, 08:43:57 PM »
A trusted ride captain and IBA member submits a route for a group ride that is pre certified by the IBA. No possible shortcuts.  Tick
The ride captain organises certs based on the proposed route and nominated participants. Tick
Each rider generates the required IBA witness forms and other documentation properly during the ride. Tick
The ride captain may actually witness documents for other participants, the IBA can authorise this. Tick
At the end of the ride, the ride captain inspects/collects the ride logs etc and if all correct can hand out the certs. Tick
If you don't finish or don't have the correct documentation you don't get your cert. Fair and tick.
That's the end of it as far as the IBA is concerned except for the ride captain letting them know who actually finished for their records.

That's business as usual for the IBA in a pre-planned group ride scenario. It doesn't seem to me that in this situation the IBA hasn't done their job, albeit in advance. There is no risk of a person who completes the ride having the certification reviewed or revoked unless it comes to pass they fudged their attempt. There is no chance that any of the participants will get a certificate unless they complete it.

I have heard of these types of situations before and have organised smaller group IBA rides. Even in the absence of that, given the organiser is a very experienced IBA member and has gone to a significant amount of effort to organise the ride in collaboration with the IBA I would probably trust that they had all the boxes ticked before they started taking cash from people. The most difficult part of this adventure will no doubt be getting the IBA organised to do their part on time, I certainly don't envy the hair loss involved in that!

Craig
Riding around on MYST.

Offline tj189

• Brisbane
« Reply #140 on: August 18, 2014, 08:57:04 PM »
Having done these sort of rides myself & having talked to lots of people at rides, forums etc most people will wait months before certification & that's just the way it is & how I understand the rules to be.
Now I have never gone thru all the IBA rules & regs & so I believe you when you say it is with in the rules & that your being transparent & I don't think that Malcolm was saying otherwise.
He & I went for a ride on Sunday & we were discussing this, I have never heard of a situation that allows those on an IBA ride to receive their certificates before the IBA has checked all the paperwork, so theoretically you could hand out all the certificates & two months later the IBA say's that a person has not qualified for whatever reason what happens then?
I think this is the point he was trying to make
Also in the interests of being perfectly transparent it is the right of any member of this forum to comment on any topic in the public arena as long as they are not being derogatory to other members
Anyway I wish you all the best with this hope you all have a successful & safe ride

Scarp, thank you for you best wishes
IBA #38035
FarRider #189
Ulysses #42456

Offline tj189

• Brisbane
« Reply #141 on: August 18, 2014, 09:08:57 PM »
One of the early email exchanges with the IBA to do something for and give a little back to the members of this fantastic club called OzSTOC :

>Dear Mike and Ira,
>
>As the rider of a Honda St1300 I am a member of the OZ ST Owners Club (OZSTOC) her in OZ.
>
>I would like to organise a  SS1600K for members of the club as a way of introducing and encouraging LDRiding.  What I would like to do, is as what I believe some groups in the USA have done, that is, setting the ride route, having witnesses available at the start and finish etc.  The other request along with this is for those that complete the ride to be able to present their certificates at the end.  Is this possible and if so what would you require me to do?
>
>It would be envisaged that if it was successful then we might be able to have it annually and open it up to other riders.
>
>If you do approve this venture, would it be possible to have the IBA and OZSTOC logo’s on the certificate?
>
>Kind regards
>Trevor
>#38035

Hi, Trevor!

We have a special set of rules for organized motorcycle club and charity rides of ten or more riders.  It reduces somewhat the paperwork and fees, but requires they be faithfully followed.  I've attached a copy, along with a spreadsheet, for your use if you have the minimum number.  Please contact me closer to the ride date to make sure you have the most current version of the rules and fee schedule. 

As you will see, one of the options is to prepay and have us prepare and send you the certificates prior to the ride to hand out at the conclusion of the ride.  There are a number of downsides to this option, including paying for folks who end up not riding or fail to successfully complete the ride.  We would encourage you to consider one of the other two options if possible.

We can also work with you on certificate wording and art work, no problem.

We accept payment of the fees via International Money Order in US funds, Visa or Mastercard, or by PayPal.  If by money order, please remit to the postal address provided in the rules.  If by credit card or PayPal, please provide an email address at which we can reach you.  We will do so when the ride passes review.

You may submit your ride electronically if you wish by scanning in the documentation and emailing it to

IBAgroupride@gmail.com

If submitting electronically, your map should be submitted via Google Maps.  There is a guide how to use it at:

www.ironbutt.com/googlemaps

Some helpful hints:

Plan a common route for all riders.

Be sure the route is at least 40-50 km beyond the calculated 1,609-km mark - we wouldn't want you to fall a couple of km short!

Establish critical points along the route for riders to obtain documentation (e.g., a gas receipt) to assure no one takes a shortcut.

Establish a common start time for all riders, regardless of when they actually leave.  Have a member of your club not on the ride to check in riders at the start and make sure no one leaves early.

Encourage riders to ride at their own pace, as opposed to riding as a single, monolithic group - it's much safer and more efficient.  Riders will naturally ride in small groups (two or three riders) based upon riding style, fuel range, bladder size, etc.

Have a club member not on the ride check riders in at the end, noting their time of arrival.  They could also collect the riders' documentation at this point.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association
IBA #38035
FarRider #189
Ulysses #42456

Offline Malcolm6112

• Legendary Member
  • Armadale WA
« Reply #142 on: August 18, 2014, 09:27:29 PM »
All questions answered.
Have a safe, enjoyable ride.

Malcolm
2004  ST1300A

Farrider 518
IBA       58213

Offline tj189

• Brisbane
« Reply #143 on: August 18, 2014, 09:30:01 PM »
Thanks Malcolm, cheers
IBA #38035
FarRider #189
Ulysses #42456

Online StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #144 on: August 19, 2014, 09:51:34 AM »
If anyone wants to share a room at the Bosun's Inn to help keep costs down, my room has a spare bed.
The downside is that I sometimes snore impressively, so you have been warned! :grin
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

BSA M21 600cc single (1948)
Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

Online StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #145 on: September 12, 2014, 05:09:39 PM »
I did another training ride today, from home in the southern suburbs of Adelaide to Woomera and return.  ++

Distance - 1006km
Departure - 0500 hrs
Home again - 1540hrs
Overall Average - 93km/h (It would have been better except for 25km of bumper to bumper stop-start traffic across Adelaide on the way home)
Stops - I scheduled just two stops, both at Port Augusta, but needed an unscheduled stop at my turn around point at Woomera, as I missed my regular 0630hrs Number Two, and it was calling very loudly to be released at 1030hrs.  :fp

It was a chilly start with the temp dropping as low as one degree during my first 130km, but steadied to a fine day around 20 degrees.   I've pulled up pretty well, with no aches and pains, just a bit tired.   I tried my new MCL highway blades a bit, but remain unconvinced, and I rate them as "not that flash".  They tend to aggravate my back and hips, but if used for just a few minutes are OK and give me a change in position.
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

BSA M21 600cc single (1948)
Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

Offline tj189

• Brisbane
« Reply #146 on: September 12, 2014, 05:29:08 PM »
Well done Pete, keep up the good work  :thumb
IBA #38035
FarRider #189
Ulysses #42456

Offline Abe

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • 4D Gang Member
« Reply #147 on: September 12, 2014, 06:48:21 PM »
Nice work  :thumbsup

I agree with the MCL's comment, but they were a Fathers Day present.
At my age " getting lucky" is remembering what I came in the room for ;)

:wht13      Cheers Dave
Member of the 4 D Gang

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #148 on: September 12, 2014, 09:06:58 PM »
The MCL pegs aren't perfect, but they do give you a chance to stretch the legs.  I also like pushing back so I get a different pressure area on the seat.
For me one downside is the fairing cuts into my calves, but I can "bow leg" out a bit to relieve that.
In summer they are fantastic to escape the heat off the engine.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline tj189

• Brisbane
« Reply #149 on: October 07, 2014, 10:48:29 AM »
Ok, it's close now.  Hope we are all keen for this great ride.
Any final questions from our participants?
IBA #38035
FarRider #189
Ulysses #42456