Author Topic: Two RTE's in Two States In Nineteen Hours  (Read 1333 times)

Two RTE's in Two States In Nineteen Hours
« on: March 20, 2019, 05:12:14 AM »
I originally didn't think I was going to make the Robe RTE let alone Lorne as well but something at home and the stars aligning made it possible for me to both.  It's the first time I have attended two RTE's in one weekend.  The biggest surprise was I left home in the dark... not !

It appears my regular breakfast stop when heading in this direction is now Keith.  I'd stopped here on the way to Horsham in 2016, Harrow last year and Robe last saturday.  I took the scenic route.

Stroppy asked me if Keith still had the birds when we met up at the Harrow RTE last year.  I didn't see them but did hear them that time.  I can now say they are still there, but in a different room.

With the new dashcam set up that Shiney introduced to us up and running my gopros were free to do other things, so I had one set up on my helmet taking time lapse photos at two second intervals.  This level crossing is in Bordertown.

From Bordertown is was time to start heading south to Naracoorte, where I stopped to stretch the legs, empty the tanks and take a couple of photos.

Now it was time to head to the coast.  I'd never been to Lucindale before.  You have to admit, this is a fine piece of machinery.  The bulldozer and the ploughs behind it aren't bad either.

There was an event  "Field Days"on in Lucindale so a lot of traffic was flowing into the town.  I rode in to look at the town but didn't check out the event.  I rode out and headed toward Robe, stopping here in in Greenways.

What a glorious day it was.  My only other visit to Robe was in gloomy weather so this great.  I also arrived in time to dump my gear and go for a walk around town.  It was there I realized I forgot my shoes and ended up buying a new pair.  They weren't cheap either.  They'll stay tucked away in my duffel bag so it shan't happen again.

I ran into various Ozstocers in the main street during my various walks before we all met for dinner.  The food was fantastic.  It's probably the best food I have had at an RTE.  Lorne was pretty good too.

The following morning I reluctantly left in the dark.  Out of home it doesn't bother me, but I'm not too keen on doing it in rural areas because as Big Ted says the national emblems like to play hopscotch on the road.  I did have one close encounter when I came around a bend there was a roo sitting in the road.  I didn't have time to react even though I was riding slowly thanks to the that concern and the fog.  Thankfully it didn't move because if it had it would have been nasty for the both of us.

Don't ask me what this is.  I passed it in Millicent.

I was in Mount Gambier when it got light.  I refuelled here because I knew there was nothing until Dartmoor and wasn't sure what time it would open.  I'd have made it to Heywood anyway but anyways.  From the border the fog got thicker and didn't subside until I got to Mortlake.  Just as well I left early because lack of visibilty made for slow going.

I met a few Victorians in Robe who didn't make it to Lorne and likewise met some South Australians in Lorne who didn't go to Robe.  I made it in time to eat with everyone.  The food was good but Robe was better.  I couldn't belive Lorne didn't have Guinness, and on St Patrick's Day of all days.  So no beer for me in Lorne.  Just as well I had two pints in Robe the night before.

I had no intentions of staying in Lorne fearing accommodation would be expensive so had planned to say in Camperdown but a google search for that area Terang popped uo at a reasonable price so though that will do.  I bit out of town meant I didn't do a walk that afternoon but it was nice to to chill out in my room and after a big dinner the night before and a big lunch was quite content with cereal for dinner.  They had decent coffee too.  I usually take my own because many places (Robe included) just gives you Cocklebiddy gravel dust (marketed at International Roast).  Yes, I am an instant coffee snob.

Not having to be at a lunch in another state I duly waited for first light before hitting the road.  First stop on my way home was Noorat.  I had actually passed here the previous day but in a race against time didn't stop for photos.  Like the prevous day the fog continued until Mortlake.  The difference was Mortlake wasn't four of five hours in.

Obvously this landowner in Woorndoo is not a fan.

There were more pockets of fog on up until Ararat which made photos from this lookout limited.  Also, the time of day meant the angle of the sun made looking at the town difficult.  Who knows, I may drop in again on the way to Taswegia in november.

I can now add one more big thing to my collection (as did StinkyPete on his way to Lorne).

I'd stayed in a motel across the road from this Chinese Restaurant in Horsham in 2016 and bought takeaway on that night.  It was very ordinary to say the least and I'll never eat there again.  The motel on the other hand, Darlet Motor Inn, I was very happy with and would stay there again if in the area.

Before Kev Murphy asks, 1759 kilomtres over the three days.  That averages out to just over 586 per day.

Recently Spotwalla have changed the maps they use, ditching google and opting for what ever this is.  I think Jason said it was to do with cost, but I must admit I prefer the google map.  It showed more detail and places would show up bilingually (English as we're in Australia and Japanese as my tablet's language settings are in Japanese).  These maps just show English.  I think I'd cringe if my next trip in Japan is only in English.  That and the lack of detail.

/rant

It was a great weekend.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 01:16:12 PM by Bodø »

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, Kev Murphy, Jdbiker

Offline Jdbiker

• NR2024 Rally Team
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • ST Legend
Re: Two RTE's in Two States In Nineteen Hours
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 07:17:37 AM »
Great RR and photos  Bodo San, thanks for sharing  :like
Jdbiker.
2008 red ST1300A
1980 Yamaha XS 1100
1974. Yamaha TX 500 sold
1984   Kawasaki GT 750
1975  Honda GL1000 selling

Honda XL 250 sold
Suzuki TS 100
2000 Honda ST1100P
1988 Enfield Bullet 350
 1941 Royal Enfield WD/C 350 engine
2021 Royal Enfield Bullet 500
2024 Honda Transalp coming

Offline jt8277

• ST Legend
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 09:11:33 AM »
Great report, definitely looks like a good ride.

Online Kev Murphy

• "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • 98 ST1100 Portland, SW Vic coastal.
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 09:18:09 AM »
Thanks Bodø, great report and pics. Appreciated, mate.
0428 306 496

kjmurphy2@bigpond.com

Offline Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 07:53:35 AM »
Great RR mate, thanks for sharing :hatwave

Cheers
Shiney
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 10:15:26 AM »
Lots of places I've yet to go to.  You said you have a bunch of "Where Is This" pix.  It looks like you used a few good ones in the report.  That weird ape-like wood (?) carving would have to qualify.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline johnnyYTED

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • STranger 1100 n BEEstY 1330cc
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2019, 10:07:01 AM »
 :blk13 :dred11
great read Bodo, thanks for that..  ++
Picton  if it doesn’t flood higher than previous times.
mobile 047 4488 436 
IBA#59147, FarRider #732
STranger 1998 ST1100, x Police
STrangler ST1300 2007 Charcoal Grey.
BEEstY 2017 Can-Am Daytona 1330.
maybe something with a little extra
:dred11 :Spyder

Offline John g

• ST 1100.
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 09:43:36 PM »
 :hatwave :bl11.  Another good report. Well done ,Bodo!
John  g