Author Topic: The Border Run Virgin  (Read 3149 times)

The Border Run Virgin
« on: August 09, 2017, 06:30:14 AM »
Last friday I set out on my first ever border run.  It may have been running for forty or so years but the first I heard of it was when it was posted on here two months ago.  Most of my packing was done the previous day so after a cup of coffee it was time to load it on to the kwaka.  I departed at 0400 hours.  Like all my road trips I departed in the dark.  My belief is there is no use wasting good daylight on streets you already know.

My first stop was at Dublin.  I almost always stop here as it is between two point to point speed cameras, not that I speed but nevertherless adding a few extra minutes acts as an insurance.  I'd always assumed the roadhouse at Dublin was twenty four hours so was a tad surprised to find it closed.  I guess I had never been this early before.  I put the gopros into action and reset my gps tracker.  The latter is for Mrs Glimt's benefit.  If it's moving she knows I am moving.  Either that or someone has stolen my tablet.

My next stop was a Snowtown.  This was the first time I had actually gone into town and discovered they had a blade like the Mount Bryan one I posted in the "where is this?" thread earlier in the year.  I don't think this is as big.

After refuelling at Warnertown just on sunrise I cruised on through Port Augusta and passed the "out of districts" sign I first saw in 2015.  There is a similar one on the Whyalla Iron Knob road but I have never seen any others on previous rides around Eyre Peninsula or north of Peterborough.  I didn't see any either side of Ceduna on this trip either.  I pulled into Iron Knob to change the sd cards in my gopros and reset my gps tracker.  Both need to be done every four hours.  The wind was icy cold at Iron Knob although I only felt it in my hands when I took my gloves off.

From there is was a short ride to Kimba where I refuelled and had brunch.  I met another rider who was making his way across from Victoria.  I would meet him again at the Village.  There was some conjecture as how much licence was used in Kimba's claim to being halfway across Australia so upon my return home I researched the west and east extremities and calculated I would have passed the real half way mark in a place called Watraba just east of Penong.  I don't recall seeing a locality sign for that let alone any claims to being the halfway mark but gopro footage may show something when I get around to viewing it.

The weather had been kind to me for most of the day but hit strong head winds for the last 200km before arriving in my destination for day one at Ceduna.  After I unpacked the bike, put some of my battery devices to recharge I went for a ride into town and Thevenard, did a bit of shopping and the local supermarket before returning to my room.  I didn't see the big oyster but did bag the big galah earlier in the day.  I met another rider who was staying in the room next door but when I asked him if he was attending the border run told me he was heading the other way and just come from the border that morning.

Day two saw me heading off at first light.  I must have missed Stinky Pete and Langers by minutes.  I may have passed them when they were photographing the big oyster.  Who knows?  I did bag the big windmill at Penong before refuelling and moving on.

Somewhere along the way I passed a guy standing in the middle of the road in the middle of nowhere.  He didn't try to get my attention nor look like he was hitchhiking or anything so I slowed down, passed him and went on my merry way.

Prior to my departure I told Mrs Glimt I would be heading into camel territory but she didn't believe me so I just had to snap the camel road sign and got one of the grid for good measure.  Walking across the grid was a bit of a challenge as the gaps are bigger than your average cattle grid.

Next fuel stop was at the Nullabor roadhouse where I bagged the whale.  I popped into various lookout points along the way before arriving at the Village at about 1400 hours.

After unloading my bike and a quick hello to Langers, Stinky Pete and Alan I went for a ride to Eucla just to say I have ridden the kwaka in Western Australia.  I had planned to have a feed  there but couldn't find anything.  I did however notice my odometer was on 39992km so decided to ride on through Eucla pass for a bit before returning to Eucla and having the odometer tick over to 40000km just so I could say I also  crossed that landmark in Western Australia.

All that mucking around meant I was missed the Ozstoc photo but such is life.

Back at Border Village for the night I was a tad surprised they had Guinness.  I was even more surprised it was cheaper than my local, even cheaper than what my local was before they bumped the price by 25% last week.  Up early for breakfast... I have become accustomed to eating my breakfast cereal out of cups and mugs due to many places not having bowls but I took on a whole new challenge due to the lack of spoons.

Day three saw the long trek home.  I tried to swap my work to get monday off without success which meant I had to do it all in one day.  That didn't stop me from riding back to Eucla just to say I departed from Western Australia.  Thank god for tailwinds.  Most of the trip was a doddle bar a bit of turbulence either side of Ceduna and a the odd pocket on the latter stages of the Eyre Highway, but the worst was between just north of Snowtown and Port Wakefield.  After Port Wakefield if just died and I cruised home.  I did encounter a detour at Iron Knob.  It would have been nice if the Lucky Bay to Wallaroo ferry was running but given conditions that may not have sailed so maybe it was blessing in disguise it not running.

All in all I had a great time.  Will I do it again?  Absolutely.  I'll want to carry on to Perth though.  Will it be next year?  Probably not.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 05:11:24 PM by Bodø Glimt »

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, Jdbiker

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Blackwood, SA
Re: The Border Run Virgin
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 06:55:18 AM »
Great report and photos Bodo.   It was good to catch up at BR17 and I'm glad you enjoyed the experience.   Next year you may want to try for a 1000km in 24 hours and become a formal FarRider.
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

BSA M21 600cc single (1948)
Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

Bodø Glimt

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 07:25:59 AM »
I did have a few more things I wanted to write but ran out of time  (bloody work) so shall add a bit more tomorrow.  I'll look into the far rider stuff too when I get a chance.

Chops

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 07:49:26 AM »
Thanks for sharing , great read,
Any chance of a long term owner review of the Versys its on my list

Online Shillas

• SA NatRally 2022
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Better Red than Dead
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 09:12:50 AM »
Great report Bodo  :clap
Shillas :13Candy

CB 125 - long gone
RD 200 - long gone
CB 250T - long gone
XJ 650 - reasonably long gone
XV 750 - reasonably long gone
VN 800 - gone
ST 1100 - recently gone
ST 1300 - In the garage

Offline richo

• Richo
  • Legendary Member
  • ST 2009
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 09:15:48 AM »
Good reading.  It looks like a great time was had
Richo

Offline Jdbiker

• NR2024 Rally Team
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 10:51:47 AM »
Thanks for sharing your Bodo San :like🤓
Jdbiker.
2008 red ST1300A
1980 Yamaha XS 1100
1974. Yamaha TX 500 sold
1984   Kawasaki GT 750
1975  Honda GL1000

Honda XL 250 sold
Suzuki TS 100
2000 Honda ST1100P
1988 Enfield Bullet 350
 1941 Royal Enfield WD/C 350 engine
2021 Royal Enfield Bullet 500
2024 Honda Transalp

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 11:49:03 AM »
Good report.

I always wondered about Kimba and the halfway claim and I've never stopped at the map they have there either. Though when looking at the route on the map it goes via Melbourne which would add the extra distance by road rather than the direct route from Sydney to Perth.
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 12:30:05 PM »
If you do a straight line between Byron Bay and Perth, Kimba is about mid point on the straight line.

Bodø Glimt

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2017, 12:49:05 PM »
Why Perth and not the western extreme?

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2017, 12:50:12 PM »
Why Perth and not the western extreme?

No idea, but I did manage to achieve about half by doing it that way.

Bodø Glimt

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2017, 01:43:56 PM »
I googled the west and east coordinates (longitude) and calculated the half way mark which came down between Ceduna and Penong, closer to the latter.  Google maps make that out to be Watraba.

I'll try and do a versys report in the next few days Chops.

Offline Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2017, 03:45:21 PM »
Awesome RR Bodø, thanks for sharing mate :hatwave
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2017, 05:13:29 PM »
I've just edited out the spelling and grammatical errors.

Offline Knave

• ST Legend
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2017, 07:46:37 PM »
Sounds like you had a great ride Bobo. The Border Run is certainly one of the classic Aussie rides. Good to see that you have crossed it off the list.  :thumbs

Offline Gadget

• Just Ridin'
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2017, 08:01:37 AM »
Great RR Bodø!
Am interesting read.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Then  :blu13 Now :Spyder
Life's too short to be miserable, so enjoy it! :)
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Mob: 04 2448 3555

Offline Ace

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2017, 09:43:38 AM »
Hey there Bodo...being a newbie on the forum, just wondering what other bikes you have as you rode your Kwaka on this ride...also from reading your posts, we have a Japanese connection as I have been there many many times over the past twenty years...mainly Oita prefecture in Kyushu with our rural primary school kids on exchange...but also travelled to most of the know tourist areas of Japan, though the country-side villages etc are the best eh! I would like to do a motorbike trip from Hokkaido down to Okinawa one day...maybe taking three months or more...but leasing or buying a bike is tricky in Japan for foreigners so hopefully will organise one via one of my many friends there... :thumb
Chris
2001 Blue St1100 with all the fruit
VJMC member

The following users thanked this post: Jdbiker

Offline Jdbiker

• NR2024 Rally Team
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2017, 10:44:47 AM »
Bodo Sans other ride is a Wheelbarrow 🤓
Jdbiker.
2008 red ST1300A
1980 Yamaha XS 1100
1974. Yamaha TX 500 sold
1984   Kawasaki GT 750
1975  Honda GL1000

Honda XL 250 sold
Suzuki TS 100
2000 Honda ST1100P
1988 Enfield Bullet 350
 1941 Royal Enfield WD/C 350 engine
2021 Royal Enfield Bullet 500
2024 Honda Transalp

Bodø Glimt

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2017, 10:47:02 AM »
I rented a bike last year and rode around Kyūshū including Ōita.  Mrs Glimt goes back every year.  I am not a keen flyer so I don't go back as often.  I had no troubles leasing a bike, but then again speak, read and write the language which always helps.

Bodø Glimt

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2017, 10:48:01 AM »
Bodo Sans other ride is a Wheelbarrow 🤓

Ha ha

Bodø Glimt

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2017, 08:40:07 PM »
After refuelling at Warnertown just on sunrise I cruised on through Port Augusta and passed the "out of districts" sign I first saw in 2015.  There is a similar one on the Whyalla Iron Knob road but I have never seen any others on previous rides around Eyre Peninsula or north of Peterborough.  I didn't see any either side of Ceduna on this trip either.

I personally didn't see one either side of Ceduna but an "out of boundaries" sign does exist on the border between Watraba and Penong.  I found it on street view when comparing it to my gopro video on the way back to Adelaide (yes I am still processing it).