Author Topic: 2019-04-25 Crossing The Line  (Read 1292 times)

2019-04-25 Crossing The Line
« on: April 27, 2019, 10:57:33 PM »
On easter monday I'd ridden the Ngarkat Hightway and turned up Emu Flat Road to see where it went.  I turned around when it turned to dirt because I didn't know where it went.  Having google mapped it when I got home decided to do it on ANZAC day.

The sign in the picture I posted in my previous ride report said 4WD only in wet weather but since we hadn't seen any rain figured the kwaka would be up to.  For the most part the road was okay but there was a couple of moments of soft sand in Senior which was a bit hairy.  I got through okay but I doubt I'll be ever returning.  At the Victorian border I was greeted with this sign on a tyre:

I don't know what the Mexico reference is but the locality name of Telopea Downs may have something to do do with it.  Is there a Telopea in Mexico?  Once on the Victorian side of the border the surface of the road improved dramatically.  That's South Australian sand behind me.  Where it changes color is the border.

That said as soon as I hit Victoria the weather suddenly turned very Victorian.  I copped a bit of drizzle before arriving here in Serviceton.  Ths house would blend right in at Old Tailem Town with the exception of the chimney which is very new compared to the house.

My stay in Victoria was very brief.

Back in South Australia and wouldn't you know it... no more Victorian weather.  Clear blue sky.

From Bordertown it was back up to Senior before heading to Mccallum.  The sign said "warning: gravel road" but I can say the West Mccallum Road is the smoothest road I have ridden, sealed or unsealed.  That said, it is probably slippery as hell in the wet.

Coonalpyn may have a painted silo but this is the stop I most vist when passing through.  This secluded rest area is between point to point cameras so is a good spot to stretch the legs, empty the tanks and add some seconds to the trip.

Today at Mannum John g asked me if I ever ride dirt roads.  Well, yes I do.  Here is another one on the border of Moorlands and Wynarka.  Administered by the Coorong Council on the Moorlands side and another council on the other side (probably Karoonda, sign was missing) the difference was noticable as the surface of the road suddenly improved on the Wynarka side.

In my early riding days I rode through Wynarka and only days after watching the gopro footage of that Wynarka hit the news when a child's remains were found in a suitcase.  I'm not a fan of roadside memorials but I'd make an exception for this one.

I'm not sure how many kilomtres I clocked up on this trip but I returned home contented.

Tomorrow, time permitting I'll write up a ride report for today's Mannum RTE.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 02:01:03 PM by Bodø »

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, Jdbiker, John g

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
Re: 2019-04-25 Crossing The Line
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 11:10:45 AM »
Mexico is Victoria, ie south of the (NSW) border
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Bodø

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 11:14:26 AM »
Mexico is Victoria, ie south of the (NSW) border

Surely that would make more sense if said tyre was on the NSW border.

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 11:37:33 AM »
Another nice day out.

I have yet to detour into Serviceton and it is on the list of old railway towns to check out.

It's an old border station where VR and SAR (later CR/ANR) engines and crews would swapped over before the rest of the train could continue its trip.

1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline denis gibson

• ST Legend
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 07:55:29 PM »
Thanks for the photos and dialogue was most informative and good look where you traveled. Denis di.