Author Topic: 2019-10-13 Hahndorf Ride To Eat  (Read 899 times)

2019-10-13 Hahndorf Ride To Eat
« on: October 14, 2019, 06:10:27 PM »
I said I'd write a ride report although when I think about it there really isn't much to add that I haven't said already.

This is without a doubt my shortest ride to an RTE.  Technically Verdun's Stanley Bridge hotel is closer to my house but before that RTE in 2017 I'd ridden the length of Greenhill Road and went to Hahndorf, Littlehampton and a few other places before gathering for lunch.  Yesterday I rode straight to the venue and straight home with no stopping for photos.

Already gutted that I couldn't make this months RTE (this coming saturday) my immediate response to Jdbiker's request for a get together yesterday was I'm in.  Eagle On The Hill was initially mentioned but to my knowledge there was nothing up there.  I like that road and have done it a few times.

After some suggestions the Stanley Hotel in Verdun was deemed to be the place to go, so I booked a table on their online booking and crashed into bed on saturday night.  I woke up to get an email from them saying they were fully booked, but could offer us a 1330 kickoff instead.  As a result we decided to take up Stinky Pete's suggestion of Otto's Bakery in Hahndorf.

I hadn't planned a route so rode the quickest way up there.  Arriving at Hahndorf I got another email from Stanley Bridge saying they had a late cancellation and they could fit us in.  I think all of us were probably on the road by then, especially Shillas who had a long trek to get there so decided to leave it as is.

It was my first visit to Otto's bakery but no complaints about my lunch.  The revereration was a bit much though, and it made talking a tad difficult, even for me who spends most days in a rattly bus.

I'd parked out on the street but the ST's were in their carpark so when I pulled out the state flag it was suggested we move to the ST's for the group photo.  Ironically though, the ST's are barely visible in the photos on my camera.  You can see some wheels from some other group's norpos's.

Thunderstorms were forecast for the afternoon so I wore my rain gear on the ride up, but it was hot as hell.  I wondered about going home but decided to chance it.  I arrived home before the rain hit, but like arriving at Bordertown last month the heavens opened up just minutes after I had parked up and gone inside.

Three weeks today I shall ride off the ferry into Taswegia before doing the ride to Hobart.  I'm looking forward to it.  See you all there.   :hatwave
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 06:33:14 AM by Bodø »

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, Jdbiker

Offline Shillas

• SA NatRally 2022
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Better Red than Dead
Re: 2019-10-13 Hahndorf Ride To Eat
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 08:21:55 PM »
Yes, our trek was a long and uncomfortable one in my car as Sandra wasn't sure she was up to riding, we took the long route there, which added about 2 minutes from  Nairne to Hanhdorf, about 10 minutes normally.

Good company and a good lunch.
Shillas :13Candy

CB 125 - long gone
RD 200 - long gone
CB 250T - long gone
XJ 650 - reasonably long gone
XV 750 - reasonably long gone
VN 800 - gone
ST 1100 - recently gone
ST 1300 - In the garage

The following users thanked this post: Jdbiker

Offline Langers

• Legendary Member
  • 2008 ST 1300 (sold) 2018 V-Strom 1000
Re: 2019-10-13 Hahndorf Ride To Eat
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 09:33:42 PM »
Thanks Bodo - an excellent RR as usual. The noise level in the room certainly was up there, one young lad early on had a fair set of lungs on him but it gave me the opportunity to practice my lip reading.
It was great to see JD & Vera here safe and well following a huge ride - hats off to them and once again it shows what a great ride we have in the Honda ST range.
Four weeks today I should be nodding off to the gentle rocking of the Spirit of Tasmania (possibly helped by the spirit of Bundaberg).
Safe travels everyone.
FarRider #726
Mobile: 0418 817 851

The following users thanked this post: Jdbiker