Author Topic: border Run 2011  (Read 3087 times)

Offline OzRider

• Brisbane QLD
border Run 2011
« on: July 04, 2012, 01:18:59 PM »
Been meaning to post this for I guess the last 11 months as the Border Run for 2012 is nearly upon us....wonder whats install this year??

After months of planning the time had come to head off for my first Border Run a one way trip of 3185k’s and turnaround for the home leg.

Decided to run with a couple of IBA ride options on the way down so got my docket signed at Berrimah at 5:45 and off down the Stuart I headed after filling up the spare 10litres I had strapped to the back (there was to be a Auxiliary in the same place however plumbing wasn’t complete so out with the spare and a 400 allowance between stops).

First stop was Katherine just a slash and dash the off again, second stop Daly Waters filled up with liquid gold at $ 1.89 a quick chat with the young Irish attendant and off down the track. A quick stop at Reneer Springs for a fill up of tuna and biscuits kept me topped up as along the way had munched on a couple of bars I had in the tank bag. Temps had settled at this stage to a mild 31 so the camel back was getting a reasonable work out.

Continued down to Tennant Creek for another stop before heading to Barrow Creek for more fuel, looks like an interesting pub there will have to come back and spend a night arrived there just on sunset and some of the local characters were coming out.
As the night came into play so did the temps so at Aileron pulled over to layer up with thermals and my bigger jacket, arrived in the middle of a local war zone as some heated arguments were being carried out amongst those from the local community so dressed quick and outa there was the policy.

Arrived into Alice Springs about 10.30 (following in Ox’s footsteps) filled up at the Shell and off down the highway to look for a IBA hotel, pulled into the first one and the biggest caravan I’ve ever seen was pulled up right across the shelter, after the third attempt found a clear rest area down the road and settled down for the night.
So far only encountered 2 roos just outside of Alice and a couple of rabbits so was able to achieve a reasonable speed throughout the night.

5.30 came around pretty quick packed up and down to Erldunda for a SS1600 sign off and fuel, problem the servo didn’t open until 7.00 (after calling earlier and being told a different time) oh well there are still plenty of more opportunities on this trip.
From here like the rest of the trip was a nice steady ride utilising the NT speed limit, Marla came and went as did the moonscape of Coober Pedy (another one to come back to) all at a reduced SA speed. Next stop was Pimba for a BB2500 sign off and fuel, arrived with 45mins up my sleeve so the time sheet/planner was working. It was only 3:45 in the afternoon so decided to carry on and see how I felt.

Came in to Port Augusta on the outskirts of town on the western side of town thought I'd top up at Iron Knob .....Dooh no fuel there any more, quick calc should be OK until Kimba. Looking ahead the skies looked ominous with some dark clouds, time to put wet weather gear on nah I’m behind it. Famous last thoughts 15 k down the road down it comes and just on dark, pulled over on the side of the road and pulled on the full wet suit all good fun in the dark and wet. If you go back there you will find about 5 indentations in the verge where I fell arse up trying to pull my gear on......next time ????

Took it easy on the way into Kimba trying to conserve some fuel plus the wet road two other bikes passed me on the way who I caught up with in Kimba appears they were also looking for fuel, had a bit of a chat (sorry guys forgotten names) they were debating as to going on further so I left them to decide.

Rode on into Kyancutta and here was Grey Gentry pulled over with a flat he had tried to repair to no avail waiting for a towie, thanks for the offer of coffee but other things on the mind and a finish in Ceduna.

As the night went on the colder I got, I could feel my toes clunking around in my boots as they had frozen off, the heated grips were working overtime on 3 and the thermals were not doing my knees any favours. The rain belted down through Poochera (my SS3000 finish) and everything was closed for the night as I had expected.

Finally the lights of Ceduna came into view through the rain, saw the familiar sign of the 24hr Mobil and pulled in for fuel and a finish docket. Trying to fill out the docket I was that cold I could hardly hold the pen, formalities out of the way I can relax with 4 hrs to spare and approx 45mins on my trip sheet. Asker the attendant about a IBA hotel, next one about 40k’s no way, he suggested the cabin park just down the road if nothing there I could swag down under his annexe in the same park, luckily a cabin available at $50 with its own ensuite – taken. I’m not sure what was better the hot shower or the bed I certainly remember the shower not so much my head hitting the pillow.

Next morning as there were only 500ks to go it was a leisurely start around 7.00 for points west, first to the bank to get some money for Saturday nights festivities that’s when I realised Id grabbed the wrong card when I left home and I was seriously short of cash already spent more than half of my card....DOOH. The other half was away overseas so chances of her helping was nil left a message for a work colleague to see if he could help what to do now.......well Id come to do a Border Run no point stopping now so Border Village it is.

Headed across the Eyre still kicking myself, one consolation was the sun was shining the head winds were still up so fuel consumption was down .... damn. Past a few other riders at various points along the way all stopped for fuel or a feed, I headed for Nullarbor along with many others when I pulled in. Caught up with Bruce (Bmarg) who id been discussing this trip with for a few months so we completed the last leg together into Border Village past some of the best coastline in the country.

Set up camp across the road in Davos campsite along with a quite a few others and headed across the road for a well earned beer or two a feed and a natter with a few fellow FarRiders. With an early start in order for the morning the night went way to quick and it was time to settle down for the night. A special thanks to the people (not FarRiders) in the adjoin camp who partied on until the early hours being a light sleeper this was not what I was after. Bruce headed out about 1.30CST filled my swag up with exhaust I’m sure I could hear him laughing.....just kidding mate...better planning next time.

I’d had enough by 3.30CST so packed up and was heading out just as the revellers decided it was time to get some sleep, passed one on the way out and thanked him from the bottom of my boots!!!

The plan was to make it back to Coober Pedy for this leg approx 1500ks for the day, fortunately the sun shone most of the way however the wind kept up so fuel was at a premium, stopped at Penong, Kimba and Pimba along the way for fuel and a feed. Good news at Pimba my mate had transferred some money into my account (still no call from the missus .... go figure) so I would be able to make it home. I wanted to make it past the Port Augusta/Pimba area before night as on the way down had seen the biggest dead roo on the side of the road and didn’t want to see his brother/sister at dark o’clock.
Hit Coober Pedy at around 9.00CST found a room for the night, grabbed something to eat a well earned shower and used the bed for not long enough especially after the night before.

Up and about a 4.30CST the next morning, packed the bike off to the servo and a start docket – at 4.53AM CST, 2150k’s home why not. Watched the sun rise over the Stuart Hwy over a different shoulder this time as I headed north, great run into Marla for fuel except for the temp drop as the sun rose and my toes once again fell off, and onto Erldunda for the next stop.
After I refuelled walked around the bike for the usual visual check after refuelling and shock horror the rear tyre had a silver centre line with a full steel belt showing just what I needed. The only option was to get to Alice Springs, so 200ks of side saddle riding, what fun that is and the looks from others on the road, priceless.

Made it into Alice a bit sorer for the experience (and hopefully smarter) pulled up at the local Honda dealer and pleaded for a new tyre, sorry the only one that we have is a Harley Tyre (with Harley Davidson written on the side wall) went and spoke to the bike ... not happy but promised we didn’t need a support vehicle so let’s go. Called my daughter how’s your credit card (still no call from the missus) all good explained to the guy the urgency so 1.5 hrs later back on the road. Plan A still in operation you betcha !!
The beauty of the NT comes into play when you have to pick up time, my plan allowed for a speed of 110km/h when in effect without too many small towns to can get the full 125/130 as others can well agree, obviously this comes as an offset with fuel consumption so more on the road planning was required.

Stopped at Wauchope, Three Ways, Daly Water and Katherine on the way for fuel and food and picked up the 1.5hrs against my sheet, the only problem was finish I had planned for a sign off at Adelaide River however they close at midnight, not going to make it I don’t think so onto Darwin.

The roos were quite thick in some spots not lining the road but visible thank god for the HID’s but still had to drop off a little speed at one stage 2 roos were sitting in the middle of the road having a chat they both hopped off with about 100m to spare then one came back the other way and stopped, swerved ran over his tail that made him move and my adrenalin levels to rise. I would also like to apologise to the two mice that were at it in the middle of the road, Mrs Mouse I didn’t mean to run over you and Mr Mouse I hope you finished what you were doing before I disturbed you.

Came into Adelaide River sure enough closed for the night so next stop Darwin outskirts, problem was as soon as I knew I’d done the k’s the body and mind wanted to stop and I went through a full on mind and body game where I had to pull over drank a can of Mother (in case of emergencies only) went for a jog up the road (much to the amusement of a truckie who gave me a toot) pushed the bike up the road – thanks Mick for that tip and generally got a sweat up.

Exercise out of the way and a fairly familiar road all was good once again and I pulled into Howard Springs and signed off a 2.51AM CST with approx 2hrs to spare and an extra 145k’s and SS2000 achieved.

Rides achieved SS2000 (2000k’s/24hrs), BB2500 (2500k’s/36hrs) & SS3000 (3000k’s/36hrs)

Day 1 heading south

Devils Marbles

Sun set on the Stuart Highway just north of Alice

Coober Pedy on the way south

Signs of things to come....dooh

Nullarbor for fuel, could I get any more clothes on answer no - because I had no more.....dooh again

So this is what its all about - Border Village

Homeward run....bugger
I don’t wanna a pickle just wanna ride my moto sickle
FarRider # 349     IBA # 47578

Offline saaz

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Canberra ACT
Re: border Run 2011
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 01:33:35 PM »
Great report. You can always learn from others experiences.  Must get some higher powered heated grips before this years run.
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 02:58:17 PM »
Excellent report.. :thumbs :thumbs

You hereby granted a No Smiting certificate for 48 Hrs...
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 05:29:58 PM »
Hope you get that (shudder) Harley part off the bike ASAP!    :eek

Great report- great endurance.  You'll be nominating for The Big One in the USA next!
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Carsten

• Tassie NR 2019
  • Carsten
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 06:04:38 AM »
Great report.  A good ride.  Well done.

Offline tj189

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Brisbane
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 07:19:47 AM »
Thanks for sharing your report and well done on your rides  :-++
IBA #38035
FarRider #189
Ulysses #42456

Offline OzRider

• Brisbane QLD
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 01:05:22 PM »
Hope you get that (shudder) Harley part off the bike ASAP!    :eek

Great report- great endurance.  You'll be nominating for The Big One in the USA next!

Tyre was replaced as soon as I hit Darwin its only done Alice to Darwin and now sits in the shed must sell it one day, the Big One its on the radar, possibly looking at a Centreline (Darwin - Port Augusta 2700ks - 24hrs) on this years Border Run keep you posted.
I don’t wanna a pickle just wanna ride my moto sickle
FarRider # 349     IBA # 47578