Author Topic: Nundle, NSW, Ride Report  (Read 2575 times)

Offline ST.George

• ST.George and his ST1300 Red Dragon (Wyvern)
  • Legendary Member
  • DIY not DYI(Do Yourself In) "The Gong"Southern NSW
Nundle, NSW, Ride Report
« on: April 15, 2013, 07:30:27 PM »
Nundle Ride, April 2013Hi Y'all,

After leaving home at 8:30am (can't help but leave things to last minute) and waving bye-bye to sweetheart, it's off to Milperra The Mill Hotel for a big breakfast on a beautiful Sunday morn. I had given the Dragon a clean so he would be respectable for the group photo but by the end of the day he was back to his favourite bug speckled cloak because after all bugs are his fave food.

Big Breakfast
So I was second-last there but just in time for a tripod shot of the roll-up:

Off to Nundle
Abe kindly offered to get me back to the main drag the most effective way and gave me written directions to get to Nundle. Back on the highway we parted company at a servo and I was happy cause I knew the way thru Sydney to the Pacific Hwy via Hornsby quite well. What was neat was my Garmin GPS was in 100% agreement with Abe's directions. So it was off to Wyong, Cessnock etc up the New England Highway towards Tamworth. Stopped at Singleton for a rest, stretch and snack and spent some time talking to the museums staff while keeping on my feet and getting my circulation going again. Ever conscious of the cramps that are my bain. Arrived at Nundle at sunset after taking tourist road 23 off the NEHighway. Collected a big bunny the size of a red setter at 100 kph which reminded me to be more alert for wildlife at dusk.

Peel Inn Nundle
Still had some food left from the trip so bought a cupla large bots of Old and settled into my tiny but adequate room for the princely sum of $45 which included brekkie. I have found that the adrenalin rush that goes with the rest after a long ride is one of the plusses of getting back on a bike again after 20 years.

Tamworth Motorcycle Museum
Moon and Bert were to meet me there at 3.00pm.
So I spent the morn walking Nundle. A great antique nicknack store, friendly general store, good 2nd hand shop, a friendly leather craftsman, a large wool factory/store and a make-believe gold mine/cafe.

On entering the Motorcycle Museum the first reaction is WOW. However, it is just Wow cause the back wall is one huge mirror that doubles the apparent size of the showroom. Nevertheless, every bike in there was pristine, most being owned by the motel owner next door. Most of My fave bikes were there including the Honda 4 and Suzuki waterbottle. Here's a cupla pics:

Honda 6

Suzuki Wankel Rotary

Then off back to Nundle where we settled into the Peel Inn at Nundle for a meal and lots of beers. Got to know Moon's next door neighbour Bert. Moon is an old mate of mine going back more than 40 years. A very experienced rider who has done trips to places like Perth, Darwin and Hobart. He sold his Kawasaki 750 to his neighbour Bert and bought his favourite bike (Honda VTX1800) for the second time.

Sheeba Dam and Walcha
After a epic brekkie including homemade marmalade we headed for Sheba Dam - about 10km from Nundle. Here's a video of the ride. I found that the guys like to ride fast so I followed at my own pace. (U might want to skip this - for some reason this 6 min movie takes a while 2 load). However if u do watch it u will notice that the Dragon is always watching out for me).

Here are the rides: Dragon,  Honda VTX1800 and Kawasaki 750.

Moon and Bert at Sheeba Dam

There were lots of friendly ducks all expecting some bread. For some reason they were gathered around Bert's bike and Moon said "They seem to like your bike Bert" and Bert said "Of course they do - it's a Kwakka!". Good one Bert.

Off to Walcha
The big ride of the day was to Walcha. This place is a hub for many motorcycle clubs as it is central to so many places. It's a very tidy and arty town full of metal and hardwood sculptures like this:

After lunch we headed back to Nundle for R&R. Moon and Bert went so fast I couldn't keep up and in trying to do so experienced a backdraft phenomenon that gave me pause to think. While I was consciously trying to keep my hands relaxed and flexible so as to keep smooth control of the bike, by the time I caught up with the guys at the Tamworth turnoff my left hand was completely numb with no movement in the fingers at all. I was unable to push the blinker switch left or right. It seems the backdraft had pushed me so hard it cut the circulation off completely. Lots of shaking and back to feeling again.

Moon and Bert pulled in for fuel while I had half a tank left (they were amazed when told the STeed got from the Gong to Milperra to Nundle (510kms) on one tankfull). I ducked into Tamworth and bought a cheap carton and met them back at the Nundle pub.

Funcomfortable Ride back to the Gong
After dinner, we met a cupla older chaps on the massive balcony of the pub and had a big night of yarns, beer and scotch. Next day I was not in a good state for the ride home even tho it was a beautiful day. Packed the dragon and headed off after telling the lads that I was going to take my time getting home and bade them farewell. After the initial trip and yesterday's quick riding and the big night I didn't feel like riding at all. Hands were sore, shoulders stiff and a groggy head meant very sedate riding. Conditions were perfect - beautiful day, nice roads, quiet traffic and all day to get 500kms. It was funcomfortable - fun conditions but an uncomfortable body. By the time I got back to Sydney my usual route thru via Hornsby, Pennant Hills, Carlingford and Menai was at peak congestion. Took an 1.5 hrs to get thru.

Seven months into my new riding career after 20 years off is taking some getting used to. Anyway, the idea is to ride within your limits and get home alive isn't it? And I did. Not sure I'll ever be a farrider tho. I'd have to be a hell of a lot fitter than I am now to attempt anything like that! :H

More photos supplied by my buddy from Dubbo - another Gregory

Chaffey Dam(near Nundle) at sunset, note the UFO orange disc at the intersection of those jet trails. C'mon sceptics, fob off this one!

ST.George and Dragon (George Wyvern) at Chaffey Dam.

Wide verandahs at Peel Inn, Nundle

ST.George shared a meal with a cool chick named Maggie at Walcha. Terese burred up on this one.

More Walcha sculptures

« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 08:24:14 AM by ST.George »
:beer Cheers :beer Gregory
:rd13   Best Bred is Red   :rd13
"Spock - there's a black hole on the other side of Uranus".
"Illogical Captain".
I think I might be indecisive, I'm not sure, maybe - maybe not.
Yamaha TX500; Yamaha DT360; BMW 650 Boxer; 2003 ST1300 Red Dragon

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
Re: Nundle, NSW, Ride Report
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 07:53:51 PM »
Excellent report, with pix, Greg.  You're an asset to the Forum!   :thumbsup
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Abe

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • 4D Gang Member
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 08:11:55 PM »
Great write-up there Gregory,

I'm sorry I could not make the trip with you, BUT, reading your report it was like being there. 

By the sounds of it, this may be a RTE (ST2UP, lovely Jean & you may need to talk).

Thanks again for all your efforts.

Cheers
Dave
At my age " getting lucky" is remembering what I came in the room for ;)

:wht13      Cheers Dave
Member of the 4 D Gang

Offline tj189

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Brisbane
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 09:15:49 PM »
Nice write up Greg, thanks for sharing your ride  :beer
IBA #38035
FarRider #189
Ulysses #42456

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 09:21:22 PM »
Thanks for sharing mate, great read  :thumb
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline STeveo

• ST Legend
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 08:18:07 AM »
Great report, sounds like you had fun in 'the hills of gold'. Amazing to think that Sheeba dam was built by the Chinese gold miners with nothing more than picks, shovels and the carry bar with buckets on the end.

:bl11

Offline Marcus

• Insert amusing quip here...
  • RTE Coordinator
  • It says Stringo on my shirt
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 08:41:08 AM »
Awesome write up...and vid

Offline ST.George

• ST.George and his ST1300 Red Dragon (Wyvern)
  • Legendary Member
  • DIY not DYI(Do Yourself In) "The Gong"Southern NSW
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 08:55:20 AM »
Thanx for the generous comments. Nundle certainly is worth considering as an RTE overnighter.  :hatwave

STeveo, I corrected the Sheeba misspelling. BTW I checked the member list and map and somehow missed your presence in Tamworth. What a shame as I had all Monday until 3pm to myself. If you are heading to Ebor will meet then. Abe said ST2UP is nearby and Jean. Lovely area and you have probably had a chat with John at the MC Museum. What a shame all those perfect bikes don't get ridden. Apparently, the owner has one special bike that he rides and tha's it. Hard 2 believe.

BTW Have appended new photos to the main post, supplied by my buddy from Dubbo - another Gregory
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 08:27:11 AM by ST.George »
:beer Cheers :beer Gregory
:rd13   Best Bred is Red   :rd13
"Spock - there's a black hole on the other side of Uranus".
"Illogical Captain".
I think I might be indecisive, I'm not sure, maybe - maybe not.
Yamaha TX500; Yamaha DT360; BMW 650 Boxer; 2003 ST1300 Red Dragon

Offline STeveo

• ST Legend
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013, 06:19:23 PM »
Some of them have been rebuilt and have not been started or oven put oil in them (so it cannot leak out). Guess thats how it is when you have too much money, something I will never find out.
Would have been good to say hello. Catch up at Ebor.

:bl11

Offline keith3po

• Manchester UK, ST1100 - GL1500
    • my-mc-phoenix
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 07:24:33 PM »
 :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup Honda 6  :rockon
Sometimes  Sometimes
http://www.my-mc-phoenix.com