Author Topic: Mysterious Hardware  (Read 2057 times)

Offline Nick

Mysterious Hardware
« on: October 03, 2011, 09:57:40 PM »
When removing the plastic I bag the nuts and bolts and label the bags with the various locations from which the pieces came. Despite this I always seem to have a left over screw or two when all is back together. Is this a phenomenon experienced by others or am I alone with this one???  ???

Offline saaz

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Canberra ACT
Re: Mysterious Hardware
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 10:26:11 AM »
I sometimes have bits left over, but whenever I take off parts that I have not done before I always find missing screws, broken tabs et that need replacing or fixing. Someone else must have that bag of spares bits for my bike :)
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

John Meara

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 09:01:40 PM »
I store fairing clips, plugs & screws in old plastic food containers, like Continental's 125g Powdered Chicken Stock (screw top lids), with labelling on a piece of masking tape on each container's side (e.g. "inner cowls", "side fairings").  I have also stocked up with a small store of spare screws, clips and plugs (just in case).  I like the "cheat sheet" on the US forum thread http://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?73238-ST1300-TupperWare-Worksheet but expect I'd kick or bump it and find them all mixed up  :-[

I rarely end up with unused screws etc at the end of the rebuild.  My problem is dropping the little blighters either on the concrete shed floor (where they bounce or roll off into unknown hidy-holes) or down into the bowls of the bike somewhere.  With ageing eyesight, creaky bones and less sensitive finger tips these days, finding these dropped bits is almost always challenging and frustrating.  So I end up digging into my little stock of spares and leaving the missing ones for later.

Yesterday I arrived home from work on the bike, parked it in the shed, looked down and spotted a screw that had gone missing inside the bike over a week ago.  It wasn't on the floor the day before, so clearly had survived a couple of commutes before finding its way out - bloody amazing!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 09:22:23 PM by John Meara »

Offline Brian

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • ST Immortal
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 09:01:22 AM »
perhaps a fishermans hook/ sinker segmented tackle box do-hickey would help..........luv motorcycles not a fan o' fishing
I jus wanna ride my bike

09 ST1300 Charcoal Metallic (Grey GhoST)
09 ST1300 Candy Glory Red (Red MiST)