Author Topic: Fuel reserve: Caution on reset  (Read 1625 times)

John Meara

Fuel reserve: Caution on reset
« on: October 05, 2011, 11:21:37 PM »
In the "Go Down" thread:
Riding back to Rocky from Eungella I had the low fuel light flash and then display 95 km to empty.  Since I still had 75 kays to go I kept a close eye on it, but the 20 km buffer stayed constant.  Then at 40 kays to go, it went to "You're nearly stuffed" mode.  I figured I still had 20 buffer, so soldiered on. Overnighted at the motel and knew I'd have to stop at the first servo.  About 300 metres down the road, I found it, and the engine quit right at the pump!   :eek

A couple of years ago, I allowed my 2003 ST to get down too low (44 km was still indicated remaining on the gauge) before it really did run dry.  Fortunately I coasted around the roundabout and into the driveway of a servo (corner of Ipswich Motorway and Oxley Road).  That taught me not to trust the indicated level on the gauge.

Yesterday arvo, nearing home, the gauge on my 2008 ST started flashing the last bar and indicated plently was left (say 85 km).  Easy to fuel up next morning on my way to work. Unfortunately this morning it ran out of fuel whilst I was riding north on the Gateway Bridge   >:()

Fortunately it was just as I approached the top of the bridge, and so I dropped it back to neutral and was able to get over the crest (down to 55 kph) and was able to coast down and around the corner to near the Kingsford Smith Drive exit (now called Southern Cross Way).

Unfortunately the RACQ said it would be an hour wait  :phone  but worse, I would need to be towed first to get me off the freeway (due to a law preventing any roadside assistance on the freeway).

Fortunately I could see it was only about 40 metres to the downhill slope off the off-ramp to Fison Avenue, so told the RACQ person to attend to me there.  I set about pushing and wheeling until I eased her around the corner into a safe spot.

Unfortunately the RACQ roadside assist man couldn't find me at first due to confusion about directions to my location, so I waited longer.

Fortunately I was stopped beside the "Get Grilled" shop with easy access to coffee an other munchies while I waited  :popcorn

Eventually all was well with 10 litres of life-giving [free] unleaded delivered by a friendly face. 

By now my guess is that you are thinking, "How could John have been so silly to have let his fuel level get so low as to have it run dry?"  Well the bloody gauge showed 74 km remaining while the last bar was flashing  >:(

Before I continue, a little bit of background:  When I did all the recent farkling, I had let the fuel level get quite low - less than 10 litres and more like about 5 (to aid in the top tank's removal).  Even so, when I disconnected the main hoses I found there was still a little fuel in the top tank and fuel also continued to be expelled from the lower tank (up through the main hose).  Unless someone has a better explanation, my guess is that either some will always sit in the top tank, or that the throttle bodies are fed from the top tank by fuel being pumped up from the lower tank.

Since I put the bike back together, I did some road testing and have disconnected the battery a few times, as well as added some fuel (not filled) ready for more lifting of the top tank if necessary.

Back to today's problem: Tonight I decided it would be useful to check the Owner's Manual  ::) .  I found 2 references I think are the key, on page 22:
  • When the battery terminal is disconnected, the available driving distance, the amount of remaining fuel and the average fuel consumption memories will be reset.
  • When the battery terminal is disconnected with 5 litres or less fuel remaining, the available driving distance and the amount of remaining fuel may be shown inaccurately in some cases.
  So this second point tells me why my gauge was inaccurate (I hope).

This arvo I added some BP 98 to the 91 supplied by the RACQ, giving me about 18 litres in the tank(s).  Now I've just been out to the shed and disconnected the battery, hoping that it has now been reset correctly.  Time will tell; a lesson learnt.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 11:54:11 PM by John Meara »

Offline saaz

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Canberra ACT
Re: Fuel reserve: Caution on reset
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 08:43:52 AM »
I think I have read that if the bike is stopped and restarted that the distance to empty and fuel remaining might not be accurate. 
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others