Author Topic: Bleeding clutch fluid  (Read 2006 times)

Offline Frenchy

• ST1100 - Australind WA
Bleeding clutch fluid
« on: October 01, 2017, 09:38:38 AM »
Several weeks ago I needed to replace the throttle cable and removed the handle bars to make it easier to slide off the throttle. Both master cyl's removed from bar hyd lines still connected.
The clutch M/C slipped upside down.
When it was all put back together, I had additional free play on the clutch lever making engaging gear more difficult.
Several applications of the clutch the next day seemed to help but it was still not right.
Yesterday, oil / filter change & thought I would flush the clutch fluid.
All good, reservoir was dirty, fluid thick and darker than brake
I flushed new fluid thru the slave before draining, cleaned up the reservoir, new fluid.
What a pain to bleed, I saw another post regarding special bleeder kit but it too late in the day to purchase one.
What I ended up doing was to use a PET medicine syringe to push the fluid up the line, a bit messy but it worked.
Now I have a full lever, even better than before. Will ride it later today to check gear engagement at idle.
Issue now is reach and release of the lever.
I read a post re-VFR clutch lever for added adjustment so I will look into that - fingers are short on one end.

Frenchy

Red ST1100PY

Offline hobs

• ST Legend
Re: Bleeding clutch fluid
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 01:40:23 PM »
This is how I bleed the brake and clutch lines. Tube pushed onto the bleed nipple and other end into a jar half filled with fluid. I just pump the brake or clutch lever until no bubbles appear coming from the tube in the jar and then tighten the bleed nipple. Easy/Peasy. Stand at handlebar end of the bike pumping the lever making sure the master cylinder is topped up as the fluid level drops.

Cheers,
Hobs

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 01:54:58 PM »
This is how I bleed the brake and clutch lines. Tube pushed onto the bleed nipple and other end into a jar half filled with fluid. I just pump the brake or clutch lever until no bubbles appear coming from the tube in the jar and then tighten the bleed nipple. Easy/Peasy. Stand at handlebar end of the bike pumping the lever making sure the master cylinder is topped up as the fluid level drops.

Cheers,
Hobs
It's even easier than that; clutch and front brakes can be just gravity bleed.

Regardless of the method one uses it's important to do the brakes in the right order.
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline Frenchy

• ST1100 - Australind WA
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 10:11:23 PM »
All good now, syringe worked and thanks for the additional tips, I will remember for next time.
Full lever but now release is right out.
During a ride I just needed to I limit the pull on the lever to disengage drive and get the timing right for a smooth change engaging drive.

Thanks guys
Frenchy

Red ST1100PY