Author Topic: front brake rebuild  (Read 2123 times)

Offline pault

• ST
front brake rebuild
« on: July 07, 2014, 04:19:50 PM »
Brakes have been  dragging first thing of late. There was a bit of a squeal from the front. So I ordered some front calliper seals as the bike has done 260k and I figured it was time to replace them and clean pistons.
There was also a rusty smudge coming from the top bearing of the calliper bracket on the left side. Means the bearing has had it. Getting it out was a hassle. Usual drift would not budge it. Had to bash it to bits with a punch then grind a slot in the outer race. The race then popped out OK.
Having a metal lathe I turned up a brass bush as replacement. Should last 100K at least.
The pics show the dead bearing.
The real reason I suspect for the sticky brakes was the dry rusty sliding pins on the calliper.
Might be an idea to look at those every pad change at least.
I got the pistons out by working the lever with the pads out. Had to hold one side with a G clamp as the other was slow coming. Marinated the pistons in brake fluid before getting the mud off with a nylon scourer.
The seals I got here:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Front-Caliper-Seal-Kit-for-Honda-ST-1100-Pan-European-from-1990-2001-/201034904275?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item2ece9d32d3&_uhb=1
Cheap enough at $30 delivered in a week from the UK.
BUT they leaked. Only the odd drop, but they leaked. I had spent some time making sure they sat square in the calliper. I ordered some more proper Honda seals and rode carefully. In the week it took for me to pick up the Honda seals the UK ones have stopped leaking. I think I will leave them for a bit while pondering if the cheap ones will let go slowly or all at once. Then put the Honda ones in.
So by being a cheapskate it has cost me half as much again.
Still riding daily and enjoy every minute

Offline excopper

• excopper
  • ST 1100, blue
Re: front brake rebuild
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 01:17:14 PM »
 :bl11 will check your ebay site, but am chasing set of front disc's(bent) the wreckers in perth cant get any.

do you know of a supplier

Offline pault

• ST
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 04:03:09 PM »
try find apart

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 06:18:06 PM »
Nothing wrong with these guys:

http://www.metalgear.com.au/

I use their pads and others have bought their rotors.

AND they give 10% discount to OzSTOCers!    :grin
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline excopper

• excopper
  • ST 1100, blue
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 11:10:32 PM »
 ;-* :bl11 thanks for that,yes several other ozstoc'ers have also recommended metal gear.

cheers  Rob