Author Topic: brakes starting to squeel .... why  (Read 3825 times)

Offline spanner

• Blue is better .... apparently
  • NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • legend in my own match box.
brakes starting to squeel .... why
« on: December 10, 2014, 12:02:23 PM »
so my brakes are starting to squeel when I am comuting around town.

I have a 11A 1999 abs,dbs,tcs version.

i cant tell at the moment if it the rear one or the front one ..... riding with a helmet and trying to figure out where it is coming from seems a bit hard.

Any ideas why they might be squeeling?

F.R. #905

I.B.A. # 63008

I acknowledge the Bindal and Wulgurukaba traditional custodians of this Australian land that I work, live and play on, and pay my respect to their cultures, their ancestors and to the elders, past, present and all future generations.

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
Re: brakes starting to squeel .... why
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 12:14:32 PM »
The obvious answer is your pads are worn down to metal.
However, if that's not the case, then it's a vibration problem and there's a "fix in a spray can" you can buy to treat squeaky brakes.
It's called "Disc Brake Quiet" and it's a Loctite product, so probably reputable.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline spanner

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 12:19:49 PM »
the bike i am riding is Blue Honda's old one and I am sure he was pretty on the ball with the mainatnance side of things.

I have moved the bike much further up the coast of Australia to a high humidity location..... do you think that might have something to do with it?

other wise I will have to see if I can change the brake pads myself....... I am not good with tools .... there is a reason i am callled spanner and its not a compliment. 

:o
F.R. #905

I.B.A. # 63008

I acknowledge the Bindal and Wulgurukaba traditional custodians of this Australian land that I work, live and play on, and pay my respect to their cultures, their ancestors and to the elders, past, present and all future generations.

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 12:23:16 PM »
the bike i am riding is Blue Honda's old one and I am sure he was pretty on the ball with the mainatnance side of things.

I have moved the bike much further up the coast of Australia to a high humidity location..... do you think that might have something to do with it?

other wise I will have to see if I can change the brake pads myself....... I am not good with tools .... there is a reason i am callled spanner and its not a compliment. 

The humidity is not the problem.
Any one of us mugs can change brake pads.
I'm northside Brisbane.  You can pick up a set of 6 at Metalgear Brendale and bring them here and we'll have them all in within half an hour.
Or bring them to Tipsy's party and we'll all have a go with bets and beers on the side!     :grin
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

Offline spanner

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 12:29:03 PM »
thanks biggles but i am a 'little bit' further north than Bris...... another 1300km north !   :crazy

i will be coming down that way over the break to see the wife and kiddies and mother in law  |-i but wont have much time for skylarking .... although if there is a ride happening I might well be inclinded to join in.
F.R. #905

I.B.A. # 63008

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 12:29:52 PM »
Best bet- order a set from Metalgear and have the other 4 Townsville riders around for a beer and brake session for Christmas.

Offline Lionel

• Legendary Member
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 12:52:05 PM »
"Any one of us mugs can change brake pads."
Beyond my technical expertise.
Saaz does this for me.  :beer

Offline spanner

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 01:15:22 PM »
Best bet- order a set from Metalgear and have the other 4 Townsville riders around for a beer and brake session for Christmas.

:like :beer :beer :beer   :think1
F.R. #905

I.B.A. # 63008

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2014, 01:30:01 PM »

The only tools required for the pad change are in the bike tool kit.....screw driver and Allen key.

Squealing.....could be anything.....even brake dust or similar. I take it the bike has been sitting around for awhile gathering dust (as they say) and it's now being used. Could also be an indication of pads needing replacement.....pads can also be glazed over from slow speed braking http://www.ehow.com/how_7259566_fix-squeaky-motorcycle-brake-pads.html

I'd change them and being an ABS/CBS/TCS all pads need to be replaced at the same time (in the manual). http://metalgear.com.au/view_model_details.php?model_id=4253 Organic pads are ok but sintered metal (same as OEM) are better
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline spanner

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2014, 03:46:51 PM »
thankls alans110
F.R. #905

I.B.A. # 63008

Offline spanner

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2014, 03:52:29 PM »
oh ... BTW .... what is the difference between organi and sintered?

I thought organic was only to be used for food and bodily consumables?

F.R. #905

I.B.A. # 63008

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2014, 04:49:22 PM »
oh ... BTW .... what is the difference between organi and sintered?

I thought organic was only to be used for food and bodily consumables?

Here's a brake pad guide from E-bay

http://www.ebay.com.au/gds/What-are-Brake-Pads-Made-Of-/10000000177404810/g.html

Oh!!! I use the ceramic pads on mine. http://ozstoc.com/index.php?topic=6248.msg82607#msg82607
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1