Author Topic: Reclamation not a Restoration  (Read 2477 times)

Offline Greencan

• Legendary Member
  • ST Legend
Reclamation not a Restoration
« on: February 10, 2017, 03:07:53 PM »
Greetings all…

Late last year I was offered and accepted this paddock find, rather than the odd barn (or shed), find that occasionally comes up. In this case twas a 1980 Honda XL185 that has Australian compliance plates, but has never been registered, so fair to say it had spent all of its life in life running around paddocks in all weather and splashing through plenty of sloppy cow’s poos and the like, it the extent of rust and corrosion was anything to go by! :eek

Anyway the upshot of which is it cost me $100 to take it off of a Mate’s hands and I began the reclamation in the second week of January and hope to have it on club plates by the end of Feb. for a total cost of $900-$1,000. And all this to see if I can ride on dirt again after a lay-up of almost 50 years. If it works out, then I reckon the ST’s will go and I will see my sites on something around toe 600-800cc mark that won’t need a step ladder to climb onto…plenty out there I know.

Before I got it home....

About half way through and about to begin hours of sourcing (read scrounging), spare parts, cleaning, sand blasting, painting and turning various bits n bobs up on the lathe. Decided to leave the engine in the frame at is a good runner (after approx 1/52 getting the carburetor sorted), and I wont refinish the tank, side covers (have to make one of those), and mudguards at this time...just wanna get enough done so it'll past muster for a road worthy.

As is today, now to get it off the stand and finish the wiring (least favourite job on planet earth), and tweek the suspension a tad.

Well that pretty much sums up my last month in the shed

Cheers, the can :-)

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, RubenCan

Offline Nigel

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
Re: Reclamation not a Restoration
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 03:23:30 PM »
No doubt about it, your a legend................. :wht11
Introducing My 2007 BMW K 1200 GT
Avoid Disappointment, Expect the Unexpected.
Nigel               0447333268
Mooroolbark But its a secret.

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 03:44:22 PM »
It was one of these and a TS185 (we called it the "Turtle 5hit") that I learnt to ride on in the paddocks growing up  :hatwave
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Offline Mitch

• Legendary Member
  • Mitch
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 04:26:49 PM »
Looking good, how do you keep your shed so tidy while your working can. :thumb
                                            :grin :blk13 :grin
2016 KTM1290 Super Adventure
2018 HONDA NC750X

Online Brookester

• Brookester
  • ST Legend
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 05:38:47 PM »
Great find...oh the days of paddock bashers and real scramblers...used to love my TS185 & the old mans Bultaco's ..... :thumbsup
One day you will wake up and there won't be anymore time to do the things you've always wanted so do them NOW!!!
Remember there are 7 days in a week and Someday isn't one of them!

Offline DavidP

• ST13 fan, near Toowoomba, Qld
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 05:46:47 PM »
Xl185 was my first bike back in the early 90s, would do over 100kmh with me 192cm, but less than 70kg at time) and camping gear on board.... lasted about 30,000km like that!

sent from a mobile device

:slvr13 in style
2008 ST1300, Carbon fender extender, blinker/mirror mod, switchback indicators, diy wiring/jump start harness, heated grips, diy swing-arm/shock protector, insulated fairing pockets, diy led spots

Offline Greencan

• Legendary Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 04:13:42 PM »
Arvo All..

Now have got the bike off the re-build stand and onto the bench and am pretty chuffed in the way the suspension has turned out :thumb

Before...

After...I knew for the outset that this seat would be my single biggest expense...and it didn't disappoint!

$170 to get it looking like this...I had toyed with the idea of getting a cover from ebay for $50 and doing it myself...glad I didn't as a couple of weeks back I was offered one from a bike shop...the vinyl thickness was on par with tissue paper...so praps money well spent at the local upholsterer :wink1

So all I had to do was sand blast and refinish the base...average job as you can see...the urethane product I used (KBS), was pretty much well past its best-by date, but functional nevertheless. It's just that it bubbled a bit and looks as if there is many fine grains of sand in it...this can occur using this stuff and is easily remedied by a good light sand and a can of spray epoxy enamel, but as its seldom seen, I didn't bother.

Tomorrow, I'll get into returning the electrickery bits and wiring em up, trying not to make smoke and let the magic out.

Cheers the can :-)

The following users thanked this post: spanner

Offline Greencan

• Legendary Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2017, 04:30:33 PM »

From this in mid January...

...to

Finito!  :runyay

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2017, 04:35:39 PM »
Excellent job.  Obviously the bead blaster over on the left got a work-out!     :clap
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline STroppy

• STroppy (Terry - the name on the TeeShirt)
  • RTE Coordinator
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • CountryMember! Mob 0412499625
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2017, 04:56:26 PM »
Great job . . . Like the restored tyres . . You perform miracles young fella . . Now off to a mountain track nearby . . Tipto's backyard!
Terry, Canberra 0412499625
Ulysses #22354, FarRider #761
Current bikes 2013 Triumph Trophy SE, 2008 ST1300
Previous bikes1948 Triumph Tiger 500 Twin - sprung rear hub, 1963 BSA Bantam 175, Yamaha 75cc & DT250, Honda ST1100, 400N & CX500 sports, BMW K100RS & K100 LT, Harley Electra-glid

Offline Greencan

• Legendary Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2017, 07:23:56 PM »
Hiya's Bill n Strop et al...

Yep, ya not wrong Bill, it really did get a workout I'll have to dump the glass media that's in it now befor I do another clean job :thumb

Ya like the restored tyres hey Strop...the front one is a recycled, had only did the return leg from Finke back to Alice last year...wish I could say I was aboard...but alas, my Finke days are well behind moi :'(

Actually, had a Mate spend all day with me today getting the carb sorted...been having endless issues with it...as it is a 70's Keihin, the pilot jet is a pressed in jobie and from 1980 onwards they utilised a screw in replacement...I had planned all along to extract the prssed in one and just turn the replacement screw in oen an press it in...my Mate, thankfully showed me after I had pulled out the purpose pressed in jet, the bit that actrually gets pressed in was actually 1-2 degree taper...To be honest I would not have looked for that pior to turning the replacement screw in...phew!!! Saved me about $40 and many expletive adjectives :p

Bike is now back with another Mate who is going to do the roadworthy (and a small fix on the exhaust intermediate pipe), then the paper work goes off to the club scrute, club plates, dirt trails, grumbles, crashes, grumbles, appease Wife, doctors,  yarda yarda... ;-*

In the mean time it's back onto that T150 in the background to finish installing the Tri-Spark ignition, finalise wiring, energise the electrical system (without producing smoke and letting the magic out), fill up the sump, fill up the gearbox, borrow a Mate's rolling road to prime the engine and oil cooler...then (being the ever optimist), one kick and bring Australia's fisrt T150m Trident back into life after a decade+ long resto... :grin

Then.... :'( :'( :'( look for another project without Ella :-X :-X :-X knowing ;-* Either that or get back to my custom telecaster and learn to play it reading music (HornHonkers reccommendation...endorsed by, ya never will guess! :wink1)

Cheers the can :-)