Author Topic: Fast Idle  (Read 1084 times)

Offline RGardner

• Rob NZ
  • RTE Coordinator
  • ST1300 ABS
Fast Idle
« on: November 15, 2012, 11:54:55 AM »
This post follows on from ‘Fast Idle Wax’ topic under the ST 1300 Workshop heading.
In recent weeks my 2011 ST would start idling as normal when warming up then shoot up to 4,000 rpm for several minutes as soon as I got out the gate. This pretty much made it dangerous (and embarrassingly loud) when pulling up at the first set of traffic lights. I’ve just got it back from Honda and along with being lightened of $216 have been told the simple solution:
I recently flushed the cooling system myself and must have got an air lock in there somehow when refilling. Honda found the radiator was largely empty even though the reservoir was near full and had actually overflowed onto the ground at one recent petrol stop. Apparently the air lock prevented the heated coolant from going through the Fast Idle Wax unit and the controlling wax wouldn’t melt until the heat being radiated from the engine actually did the job for it. Somehow this little comedy routine caused 1) the high revving while warming up, 2)  the draining of the radiator, and 3) the overflowing the reservoir.  Seems to be all better now anyway.
Rob NZ

Offline Whizz

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Paul. Ipswich, QLD.
    • Instrumented Control Solutions Pty Ltd
Re: Fast Idle
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 12:39:04 PM »
Interesting!!!!, must remember that!, well found!  :runyay
Cheers,
Paul
:13Candy
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is!!
Red, 2004, ST 1300A