Author Topic: Time for a HD Camera after traffic incident on my ST1300 me thinks.....  (Read 11827 times)

Online StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Blackwood, SA
Re: Time for a HD Camera after traffic incident on my ST1300 me thinks.....
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2012, 08:03:24 AM »
It's really easy to let the dickhead drivers get us angry at their inconsiderate and unsafe practices.   After a couple of close calls, I'll just pull over and let them pass, or give them plenty of space and not get involved by returning gestures.   If some moron who's upset with me gets in front, I'm worried that they'll slam on their brakes for "revenge", which has already happened to me once   :eek    I take confort in the knowledge that I'm likely to be a safer road used than they are, and that by not inflaming the situation my blood pressure will be lower and I'm more likely to get home safe.
o:) 
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

BSA M21 600cc single (1948)
Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

atoyot

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2012, 09:12:25 AM »
It's really easy to let the dickhead drivers get us angry at their inconsiderate and unsafe practices.   After a couple of close calls, I'll just pull over and let them pass, or give them plenty of space and not get involved by returning gestures.   If some moron who's upset with me gets in front, I'm worried that they'll slam on their brakes for "revenge", which has already happened to me once   :eek    I take confort in the knowledge that I'm likely to be a safer road used than they are, and that by not inflaming the situation my blood pressure will be lower and I'm more likely to get home safe.

I agree, and my wife is constantly telling me that getting the chits with them and participating in the "road rage" doesn't change their attitude, which I have to say I agree with. However, that doesn't make me feel any better about the fact that these morons may at some stage kill an innocent party, whether they be a pedestrian, cyclist, motorcyclist, driver or truckie. They are incapable of critically looking at themselves and their driving habits with a view to becoming safer and considerate, and there is nothing we can do to help, except to hope that when they do have a big one, they are the only ones affected. But then, someone always has to clean up the mess.... :cuss :cuss

Fred Gassit has it right with his ascertion that "if your'e not usin' it, you won't be needin' it" as he kicks their side mirror off! :grin

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2012, 09:28:44 AM »

I agree, and my wife is constantly telling me that getting the chits with them and participating in the "road rage" doesn't change their attitude, which I have to say I agree with. However, that doesn't make me feel any better about the fact that these morons may at some stage kill an innocent party, whether they be a pedestrian, cyclist, motorcyclist, driver or truckie. They are incapable of critically looking at themselves and their driving habits with a view to becoming safer and considerate, and there is nothing we can do to help, except to hope that when they do have a big one, they are the only ones affected. But then, someone always has to clean up the mess.... :cuss :cuss

Fred Gassit has it right with his ascertion that "if your'e not usin' it, you won't be needin' it" as he kicks their side mirror off! :grin

Wow! Great words you two!  (and everyone else for that matter)      :thumbs

It just really sucks to move over because they are riding 4ft off your arse end! This teaches them that this is how to get results!!!!     :cuss

So from now on I will remember your wise wife's words Andrew, that "participating in the "road rage" doesn't change their attitude" and also "hope that when they do have a big one, they are the only ones affected"

It must be a Russian Roulette situation in America where a lot of people are "carrying"! You'd have to be very careful before really trying to ruin someone's day there...

Rednecks Mess With Wrong Bull

Although here... it seems to save this guy from a whoopin'

Cheers, Diesel
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Online StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2012, 10:43:07 AM »
It just really sucks to move over because they are riding 4ft off your arse end! This teaches them that this is how to get results!!!!     :cuss

That's very true Diesel, but I no longer care if they think that they've had a win.  "Home Safe" is my primary objective.   It would suck even more if they cause you to have an "off" 'cause your attention is consumed by the angry, tailgateing muppet in your mirrors, who is so close he can't see your brakelights, and not watching for the inattentive, phone using, "P" plater, driving his Dad's 4WD, who's about to pull out in front of you. 
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 10:59:12 AM by StinkyPete »
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

BSA M21 600cc single (1948)
Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2012, 11:11:31 AM »
Too true mate. I initially motioned this bloke to bring it to his attention. I was hoping he would have thought "Oh yes! I am waaay to close. I wasn't thinking!"   (yeah right)!

Instead it infuriated him.

My main concern was that I was going down if i so much as touched the brakes, as he left no room for me. So - even if there was a large lump of timber or steel on the road, I was going to have to run over it without even washing off any speed! Further to that, if I had come down, he would surely have hit me!  Everyone here knows how dangerous freeways can be. This is why I got so cranky. It is one thing to try and ignore him, but another to accept you are road pizza if anything goes wrong because of this numpty's stupid driving habits and mind set!

They are easier to ignore and accept if your health and even life aren't in jeopardy. He'd get 3 months, I'd get a wheel chair for life, or a coffin. And none of it was my doing.

I know, I know - get out of the kitchen etc etc.... but fair go...  I KNOW he wouldn't have done any of this if he thought I was a copper!

Anyways - I normally ride out in the countryside where the sun shines and the birds sing   lol
OzSTOC Life Member

atoyot

« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2012, 05:01:06 PM »
The late great Peter Brock said that it is best to just feel sorry for them as they will go through life as angry, stupid, ignorant morons, or words to that effect! I put it all down to in-effectual training and licencing. Unfortunately it's a price we pay for being a very mobile society. In know in training circles in NSW for forklifts, implements etc, people are not deemed in-competant, but NOT YET competent, implying that they can become competant, not that they might be a lost cause. I think that goes for the average road user too (unfortunately, some motorcyclists included) that really, they will never be competant, and it's not just through lack of driving/riding skills, it's the attitude between the ears! :crazy :o :crazy :A

Most people don't think that it is a priviledge to have a licence; they simply think that it is a right, regardless of how dangerous they are.

If I were of politician, licencing would require 3 different levels of training, and stringent testing that actually tests the road skills of the driver/rider. I suppose as motorcyclists we do have a heightened awareness of safety, and that is something that the average car driver rarely understands and hardly ever get; they just see us as temporary Australians..... o:)

Now if we all had "always on cameras" facing every which way, we could get revenge on these idiots by catching video evidence of what they do. :grin

Offline Malcolm6112

• Legendary Member
  • Armadale WA
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2012, 08:06:34 PM »
I have one more question concerning the placement of such traffic cams in cars .... (may differ in each state)...

Are they ALLOWED to be mounted under the rear-view mirror? i.e. the centre of the windscreen?

I believe phone cradles and GPS' (at least in Qld) have to be mounted lower RHS, and NOTHING at all on dashboards in Vic.

In Queensland there is a law that no VDU display is to be seen by the  driver, excluding navigation devices, however we have to be able to prove that.  The following link is a good explanation of the laws as they apply to each State or Territory, not exhaustive, but not bad. 

http://www.blank-it.com/australian-distracted-driving-laws.aspx 

Sorry but Brock you may want to check the bottom of the page.

With the laws does this also mean screens on the rear of headrests are a no no as they can distract other drives?
It's hard to watch a story without sound or subtitles.

:blu13

Malcolm
2004  ST1300A

Farrider 518
IBA       58213

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2012, 09:04:17 PM »
because of this numpty's stupid driving habits and mind set!

That's exactly what the problem is.  His/her whole self image is wrapped up in the superiority they bought when they paid the 5% deposit on their Crumpledoor.  Now they've got all that power and invulnerability, they can do what they like with impunity.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline horizontal

• just a lost sock in the laundramat of life
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2012, 12:53:25 PM »
Hey Dave,
  I just bought one of the aldi action video cameras for $70 early tests ie walking round the yard etc it seems good value for money. It even has led and infared lights for those lonley FarRide nights.

cheers Greg
the older i get the better i was

Offline Tackleberry

• QUEENSLANDER!!!!!!!
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2012, 03:40:52 PM »
...does this also mean screens on the rear of headrests are a no no as they can distract other drives?
It's hard to watch a story without sound or subtitles.

I was finding that the driver with the headrest got more distracted than me cause he wanted to move over as I got my car closer to see the small screen. :grin 

Mounting the cameras behind the mirror or similar shouldn't cause any dramas at all, unless obscuring view etc.  When the

Just remember fellas to have any real evidence value you need to be able to catch the actual incident, which most people turn on the camera afterwards.  Two examples of cameras that we use at work for the pre-record feature are below: 

http://vio-pov.com 

http://www.ewitness.com.au 

I currently run BOTH of these, the POV is permanently mounted on the bike, and the eWitness I have just purchased to run on the side of the helmet as an interview recorder.  Numerous coppers wear these models, either in cars, or on bikes.  They both have a pre-record/loop record feature and can save recordings from before the button is pressed. 
Steve
Only the guy in the glass matters..... 
Ride on Davo it's your road now.

atoyot

« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2012, 09:46:37 PM »
I just found this: - http://www.digoptions.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1917

It might not be perfect, but for the price ($99), it might not be a bad start. Seems like it could be stashed in one of the storage boxes as it's not weather proof, and all that's needed is a camera, 12V source, and a card to record to. If only it had more inputs to do front, rear, left and right... almost forgot above as well, for those errant pianos etc... :grin

Offline Tackleberry

• QUEENSLANDER!!!!!!!
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2012, 11:23:23 PM »
the only angle you don't have covered is from above,

Handy for recording those falling cows or pianos.. :grin :grin :grin
Gotta remember Drop Bears too Brock :grin :grin
Steve
Only the guy in the glass matters..... 
Ride on Davo it's your road now.

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2012, 09:43:19 AM »
Just did a lap of the suburb with the Contour ROAM HD Cam mounted on my helmet.....     :thumb

Also have two other mounting spots.

- On Ram Mount above triple clamp - forward view through windscreen; and
- Under RHS tipover cover facing forward with view of lower cowling and front wheel/calipers/disc assembly (as well as scenery).

The helmet mount is 360* rotatable and can film behind me as well.

I have done some tests and am pleased with the results - will post a few small clips soon.

Just have to cover my speedo up as the resolution is too good!       :whistle            :rofl

The camera records in .MOV format.

Cheers, Diesel
OzSTOC Life Member

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2012, 09:55:18 AM »
Hey Dave,
  I just bought one of the aldi action video cameras for $70 early tests ie walking round the yard etc it seems good value for money. It even has led and infared lights for those lonley FarRide nights.

cheers Greg

I'll have a good gander at Bucca mate.  Cheers
OzSTOC Life Member

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2012, 10:30:15 AM »
Hey - did you guys see today's news in Qld where a road rage incident escalated to violence and car ramming. The other driver even jumped on the bonnet of Car A and smashed the windscreen with his fist!

It was all caught on a crash cam mounted in Car A. This exemplifies the use I was thinking of when penning/typing this thread.

Cheers, Diesel
OzSTOC Life Member

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2012, 10:51:48 AM »
Hey - did you guys see today's news in Qld where a road rage incident escalated to violence and car ramming. The other driver even jumped on the bonnet of Car A and smashed the windscreen with his fist!

It was all caught on a crash cam mounted in Car A.

Excellent- is it on the 'net?  Can't see it yet.
Amazing what gets into people.  Or maybe it was one of those mental cases they were talking about having electronic tags on while they are released into the public (so they can be easily found soon after they re-offend).
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

Offline Skip

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2012, 09:51:20 PM »

It was all caught on a crash cam mounted in Car A. This exemplifies the use I was thinking of when penning/typing this thread.

Cheers, Diesel

Yep saw that incident Diesel. Seriously, that guy should be locked away for a while. He was totally out of control. He had no regard for anybodies safety or his own vehicle. The guy is nuts. Wonder what the 'girlfriend' sees in him. She was in the car so maybe 'birds of a feather' as the old saying goes. Should be easy pickin's for the QPS as the number plate was quite visible on the footage. Crazy stuff.
Getting wind in my hair while I still have some.

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club

Offline royst1100

• Legendary Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2012, 07:02:18 AM »
apparently more people (women included) are now coming forward. hope they DO something not just recommend treatment and bond
regards
           Royce