Author Topic: Ted Simons ride around the world  (Read 2016 times)

Offline Rob Mc

• 2008 ST 1300
Ted Simons ride around the world
« on: December 19, 2012, 05:43:43 AM »
I recently visited my daugher in London and decided to shop around on my Kindle for an interesting book to read to pass the time  on that dreadful flight over there.
I came across a book by Ted Simons called "Jupiters travels" where he decribes his journy back in the 1970s around the world on a Triumph 500 that took him 4 years to complete.
At the time he was in his forties , had very little motor cycle experience but a huge desire to step out of his comfort zone and do something extraodinary . What an adventure that most of us only dream about , from being thrown in jail , accidents , falling in love with a hippy in California , re buiding the Triumph many times throughout those 4 years. The bike itself is now in a museum in London, remember he had no GPS , no mobile phones just his courage and determination to see the journey through to the end.
As if this was not enough , 25 years later in his 70s he decided to do the trip again this time on a BMW bike. In 2001 he set off again to retrace his first trip and although Im only half way through this book (Dreamimg of Jupiter) he tells of being so disappointed that places and people had changed so much 25 years on.
Places that were exotic were now slums , people that were proud and friendly now angry , poor and beggers. In terms of the new technologys GPS , mobile phones etc, he stated they just ditracted from the adventurous spirit of the ride, this ride only took 2 years to complete.
Anyway I was so impressed by the mans courage and determination I decided to try and make contact with him , bearing in mind he would now be close to 80 and I was not sure if he was even still alive.
After tracking down an e mail address I wrote to him , telling him how much I admired him and asked several questions about his trips. Just two days later he responded to my email with some lovely comments. I asked him why it took him 4 years to do the first trip , and he gave me a wonderful quote , he said Rob : ITS THE INTERUPTIONS IN LIFE THAT MAKE THE JOURNEY.
If he was to ride around the world to just get through each country as fast as possible and not experience the people and cultures and live among them, the trip would have been pointless.
Even though he fell in love with a women half way around and lived with her for a while , he reluctantly had to move on and complete his journey.
If you are looking for a couple of books that will uplift you and show you what is possible I stongly recommend you get hold of these two books.
Rob
Rob

Online West Aussie Glen

• old fart
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Willetton, Perth
Re: Ted Simons ride around the world
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 07:55:51 AM »
Sounds interesting Rob. I will have to get my wife to load them onto her Kindle.
Glen
Sold
1948 James 98cc 2 Speed, 1969 Suzuki A100-2
1970 Suzuki T250 Hustler, Honda CL100
Yamaha RD250C, 1985 Kawasaki GPZ250
BMW K75S, 78 Yamaha XS11
Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe, 88 GL1500
99 SE GL1500
In the shed
85 Kawasaki LTD250
88 GL1500 Outfit
08 ST1300
2013 GL1800
2013 GL1800 Outfit

Online StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 08:34:23 AM »
I have "Jupiters Travels" sitting on my bookshelf and find it quite an evocative read.    Another good bike travel read is "The Last Hurrah" by Des Molloy.  See  http://www.thelasthurrah.co.nz/book.html    These guys make any trips that I've done look like a Sunday arvo run to the coffee shop.
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

BSA M21 600cc single (1948)
Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 08:34:34 AM »
Great stuff Rob - I envy those who have the opportunity and mind set to throw routine in the bin for spontanaeity and embrace adventure!

Glad too, that he was able to spare some time for you.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers, Diesel
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Offline Down Under

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 09:44:54 AM »
Great stuff Rob - I envy those who have the opportunity and mind set to throw routine in the bin for spontanaeity and embrace adventure!
Cheers, Diesel

Couldn't agree more mate!

I've read "Jupiters Travels" and thoroughly enjoyed it as well.

Also, just finished a book titled "101 Road Tales" by Clement Salvadori.  This is how the book is described at Amazon:

Quote:
Popular motojournalist Clement Salvadori has been sharing his stories from the road with the readers of Rider magazine since 1988.  Now, 101 of those engaging Road Tales have been brought together in one book, cleverly illustrated by his long-time friend Gary Brown. Salvadori loves to travel by motorcycle and loves to write. His combining the two has given him a thoroughly satisfactory life, and his contentment and joy of living shine through this collection of columns from the past two decades. Though he does admit to being destination-oriented at times, many of his columns focus on the little things that make the journey itself the most memorable -- the rhythm of the road, the music of the bike, the beauty of the ride, and the exhilaration of being at one with the bike and the road.  Meet some of the characters he has encountered, laugh with him at some of his blunders, and join him for bread, cheese, wine, and a stupendous vista somewhere away from the hustle and bustle of humanity.
Unquote:

I like his writing style, it's light hearted and very easy to read.  It's also worth checking out.

Cheers,

Tony 

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 10:58:17 AM »
I recently visited my daugher in London and decided to shop around on my Kindle for an interesting book to read to pass the time  on that dreadful flight over there.

If you are looking for a couple of books that will uplift you and show you what is possible I stongly recommend you get hold of these two books.
Rob

If you go to
http://ozstoc.com/index.php?topic=917.350

you can read a lot of excerpts from the book, and a similar one by a Swede which is currently being quoted daily.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Online StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 02:04:53 PM »

If you go to
http://ozstoc.com/index.php?topic=917.350

you can read a lot of excerpts from the book, and a similar one by a Swede which is currently being quoted daily.

That's great Biggles......  I reckon you've published half the book on the forum.   :grin
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

BSA M21 600cc single (1948)
Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)