Author Topic: Anyone going to the Parkes IBA Muster? my route and some questions.  (Read 6823 times)

Offline spanner

• Blue is better .... apparently
  • NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • legend in my own match box.
Is anyone from OzSToc going to attend the IBA muster in Parkes?

Ill be leaving from Townsville on the 1st July at about 0900am and hopefully reach Parkes about 0730 - ish.

I have attached my planned route and as Ill be attempting a SS 2000 K I'll need to do a little detour to Orange before hitting Parkes.

I plan to get an early hotel check-in if I can to sleep away the morning until the officical welcome and sign off  time at 11 or so.

Any thoughts on the route or things I should consider before hand.

I know about the Roo's and Emu's but my issues will be how to deal with the cold.

I have an OzSToc jacket so will be utalising that but my issues will be my fingers, legs and toes. I don't have a lot of disposable dollars so any cheap hints and tricks will be gratefully accepted.

:popcorn :beer :beer :popcorn

F.R. #905

I.B.A. # 63008

I acknowledge the Bindal and Wulgurukaba traditional custodians of this Australian land that I work, live and play on, and pay my respect to their cultures, their ancestors and to the elders, past, present and all future generations.

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
Real cheap hint:  Weekend newspaper up the front of the jacket.     :grin

Really- I find a balaclava under the helmet plus wet weather gear over normal riding gear is pretty snug.  Thick lined winter gloves are good, and "Little Hotties" in your shoes round out the good economical protection against the cold.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

The following users thanked this post: spanner

Offline tj189

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Brisbane
Heated hand grips? thermal glove liners, woollen socks
IBA #38035
FarRider #189
Ulysses #42456

Offline Gadget

• UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Just Ridin'
Real cheap hint:  Weekend newspaper up the front of the jacket.     :grin

Really- I find a balaclava under the helmet plus wet weather gear over normal riding gear is pretty snug.  Thick lined winter gloves are good, and "Little Hotties" in your shoes round out the good economical protection against the cold.
I've even used the "little hotties" in the back of the gloves. About $2 each and last for 8 hours. They take a while, 30 to 60 minutes, to activate though.

As Biggles said, wet weather pants over jeans is very good. It breaks the wind and prevents it getting through the jeans. Even tracky dacks or tights under jeans can help.

Upper body, Bonds singlet, t-shirt (merino wool), shirt (flannelette), jumper then jacket and if necessary, the newspaper. Layers are good, because as the day heats, up you can peel them off to cool down.

The lightweight balaclava can be had for under $20 and keep the ears, head and neck warm where most body heat is lost.

Woolen or Wool blend socks. I use the Explorer ones you can get from Woolworths or Coles for under $20 ($14 last time I bought some a couple of weeks ago). I've even double socked in really cold weather.

I had a set of gloves I bought for my Southern trip, and they cost me around $80. RRP was $120. They were an RST winter glove, and at -1 °C my fingers were mildly uncomfortable.

What helped with those gloves is they were more like a gauntlet, they went at least 75 mm (3 inches) past my wrist,  so I was able to tighten them up over the sleeves of the jacket. That prevents the great from escaping there and makes a big difference. Especially if you hit wet weather.

What have you got planned for the return trip? Detour through southern Qld for an impromptu RTE and bed, shed and fed?

Have a safe and enjoyable trip?

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Then  :blu13 Now :Spyder
Life's too short to be miserable, so enjoy it! :)
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Mob: 04 2448 3555

Online StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • Blackwood, SA
Here's my tips to stay warm... :thumb

Neck - Scarfe or neck tube to keep your neck warm, and keep the breezes out of your helmet and down the back of your neck.
Hands - Winter gloves (take a spare pair in case they get wet), Hotteze warming pads on the back of your hands.    (Of course, Heated grips and heated gloves if you have them)
Feet - Thick long sox, Hotteze pads stuck on the underside of your sox.
Legs - Thermals, Jeans, fully waterproof over- trousers should be sufficient, or pantyhose if you don't have thermals.   Tuck your jeans into the top of your boots,  and waterproofs outside your boots.
Body - T-Shirt or two, Flanelette Shirt, warm jumper, OzSTOC Jacket with all the liners, and fully waterproof overjacket and you'll probably cook even in the coldest temps.  (Thermal top in there somewhere if you have one)

If your hands still get cold, slowly clenching and unclenching a fist for a few minutes can help restore circulation, or tucking your hands (one at a time of course) between your legs and under your crotch for a few minutes will restore warmth.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 08:41:30 AM by StinkyPete »
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

BSA M21 600cc single (1948)
Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

Offline Gatey

• ST Legend
Good topic guys.

Clothes wise I have two kits that just get winterised for season.
Helmet is Shoei NTX it gets a Dry rider balaclava for nights in winter. balaclava is in the bike all the time anyway.So to are a set of clear safety glasses just in case.
Night gloves are Rivit that strap across the back of the hand and have a draw string in the gauntlet to pull down around the jacket sleeves. Old set but still work well even if wet. Under these maybe depending on occasion I use thermals.
I have day gloves once the suns up if its warm enough and switch between the two on a ride. Gloves live in tank bag.
Jacket is a DryRider SummitPro (which stripped out, is too hot for summer) but works great for mid season and deep winter.
Under that is a RB Sellers polo top. One in the top box to freshen up upon arrival and becomes next days top.
Under that is a long tshirt for once the day comes up and under that a Dry Rider thermal. Another full set in the bike too.
Pants are DryRider AirFlow somthing. Dudd's with armer that I much prefer for night travel. These and thermals mentioned work great. These are / have been the best bike pants and do work.
My feet are covered with some Bamboo knee length socks and at times a second shorter set ( also always in the bike)
Boots are Rossi and they get a liberal dose of Dubbin before a big ride. keeps them drier longer and warmer too.

Once the day warms up I dump the liners and the polo + airflows into the top box and ride in typical armour jeans like RedWolf with perhaps the long socks for winter.

Being that almost all Austraila is in a dry time then winter temps overnight will get bloody cold. I've confidence in my kit...BUT I might add a layer with the wets for the first few hundred K's up to Glenn then west.
The trick here is getting out of the stuff before your other gear gets damp with sweat and body heat.hence a spare set of underlayers for the trip.  Hell's bells we are riding around on a lounge so we doo have room for comfort's.
All the best for your trip.
Persevere...My Dad did.
FarRider #269..IBA#54983
One of the Barraba Crew

Offline Gadget

• Just Ridin'
Gatey,

I can also vouch for the Dubbin on leather boots. Works wonders for keeping the water out and the larger leather supple.

I've also found boot polish to be just as good. As I had some left over from Army days, I used Parade Gloss. :grin Nice shine is a bonus.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Then  :blu13 Now :Spyder
Life's too short to be miserable, so enjoy it! :)
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Mob: 04 2448 3555

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • Guyra - NSW
Re: Anyone going to the Parkes IBA Muster? my route and some questions.
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2016, 10:39:51 AM »
I'm registered....and I know there are others  :whistle
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2016, 02:45:58 PM »
Some great ideas here. I too am registered and have mandated that I will NOT get cold on this ride.     :OldMan

I'd much rather pull over and lose a layer from being too warm than fight the chills - have done this and not impressed one iota!     :cuss

I am going for layers, heated vest and foot/hand warmer packs as suggested above. Scarf and balaclava will also be on hand.

Make sure you take a beanie for when you are not wearing your helmet - these are probably the best item you can wear for heat retention.

A thermos of coffee/water for hot drinks/cuppa soup etc.

I like Biggles suggestion of the weekend paper too, but I will probably use an old copy of Playboy just for that extra little bit of warmth!    ;-*

Well done contributors - great post spanner.      :thumb
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Offline tj189

• Brisbane
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2016, 07:25:53 PM »

I like Biggles suggestion of the weekend paper too, but I will probably use an old copy of Playboy just for that extra little bit of warmth!    ;-*

:rofl

Do you get the extra warmth from the ears and bunny tail?   |-i
IBA #38035
FarRider #189
Ulysses #42456

Offline Sicman

• RTE Coordinator
  • Was here when the lights got turned on :-)
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2016, 07:41:51 PM »
He is used to extra warmth on his tail  ;-* :grin
Cheers
Tony
FarRider 802
NatRally's - 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 202🤬, 2🤬21, 2021/22 Black Dog bit me, 2023
Experience trumps assumption :-)

Offline Abe

• 4D Gang Member
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2016, 12:51:08 PM »
Not attending now and have cancelled out.  :well

This was due to the fact I didn't wish to supply private information (over the internet and the legality of same) to undertake the ride.

If I knew of this earlier I wouldn't have pre-purchase merchandise and wasted money/time and effort with the whole process.

I'm going to undertake an Long Distance Rider (USA) certified ride instead.  :grin

Modified: Have fun if you are going  :beer
At my age " getting lucky" is remembering what I came in the room for ;)

:wht13      Cheers Dave
Member of the 4 D Gang

Offline spanner

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2016, 12:53:32 PM »
Not attending now and have cancelled out.  :well

This was due to the fact I didn't wish to supply private information (over the internet and the legality of same) to undertake the ride.

If I knew of this earlier I wouldn't have pre-purchase merchandise and wasted money/time and effort with the whole process.

I'm going to undertake an Long Distance Rider (USA) certified ride instead.  :grin

Modified: Have fun if you are going  :beer

Have you thought about faxing or similar?

Really sad not to have you there.

You should be able to get refund of money due to circumstances being changed with out prior warning etc.
F.R. #905

I.B.A. # 63008

I acknowledge the Bindal and Wulgurukaba traditional custodians of this Australian land that I work, live and play on, and pay my respect to their cultures, their ancestors and to the elders, past, present and all future generations.

Offline Abe

• 4D Gang Member
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2016, 01:15:46 PM »

Have you thought about faxing or similar?

Really sad not to have you there.

You should be able to get refund of money due to circumstances being changed with out prior warning etc.
[/quote]
[/i]

Thanks for your thoughts there Spanner, but I have had a lengthy talks (emails) with TJ about this matter last night.

But if people are willing to give there private information out, so be it, but I'm not.

Your last line is a good one.

I'll type a response on IBA Australia soon, with my thoughts........ not happy Jan

Member of the 4 D Gang

Offline Abe

• 4D Gang Member
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2016, 02:42:21 PM »
TJ may wish to re-read your email conversations with me last night regarding the Stat. Dec options.

This is why I did not talk to you last night via phone, as I wanted our discussion recorded by emails, for times like this.

TJ this is your quote from last night emails 9.33pm:-

Dave,
Just a thought, would it be better to get riders to have the documents sighted by a JP and a declaration stating that they are up to date?

I read your words as an open statement, being for all attending Parkes, not one directed at me personally.

So, I didn't fail to mention your offer cause there was no offer directed at me.

I agree with the Stat Dec if required, but why do we need to do this anyway.

This is not a personal attack as I stated to you last night, but hopefully this may help sort out issue's prior to the next Muster.

Member of the 4 D Gang

Offline spanner

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2016, 03:36:14 PM »
Hey there TJ and Abe,

I have asked the mod to remove these last few posts as they are not really relevant to the thread I started and really don't want this thread to get into a back and forth about something that should really be further discussed privately via email or possibly in another thread.

Hope you don't mind ,

...... and more importantly ..... hope there is a way through the quagmire of legal and such and we will all be sitting down to a beer together in Parkes.......albeit near a bloody big fire !!!!!
F.R. #905

I.B.A. # 63008

The following users thanked this post: ST2UP, Abe

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2016, 04:24:29 PM »
Thanks all.....after assessment the posts can remain in play.

Based on the posts are informative to a relevant subject and both posters remain respectful although in disagreement ......

I understand that TJ will be posting more information on the IBA Website this evening and if attending the IBA Muster at Parkes you should follow this discussion and participate on the IBA Forum.

I would ask that we now bring the thread back on track with the original poster question in mind.

:beer
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Offline STeveo

• ST Legend
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2016, 06:51:10 PM »
Spanner, back 'in the old days' I used some industrial gloves (the type with red outer petrol resistant covering) over the top of my leather gloves to keep the wind out, and would put one hand at a time into the side of the fairing to get some warmth from the engine head.
Putting something like a car tube over the front of your boots will keep the cold wind off.
Cut the sleeve out of an old pullover/jumper and trim to fit like a sock over your neck between coat and helmet. 
Most important is to stop if you feel the least bit drowsy and run up and down the road a bit to warm up again. I made the mistake of feeling drowsy and thinking I could make those last 10Km home, but woke with a start as I hit the gravel edge. I swear to this day that I only blinked!

Offline tj189

• Brisbane
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2016, 09:19:50 PM »
Hey there TJ and Abe,

I have asked the mod to remove these last few posts as they are not really relevant to the thread I started and really don't want this thread to get into a back and forth about something that should really be further discussed privately via email or possibly in another thread.

Hope you don't mind ,

...... and more importantly ..... hope there is a way through the quagmire of legal and such and we will all be sitting down to a beer together in Parkes.......albeit near a bloody big fire !!!!!

I do not mind at all and you are correct so I have deleted my posts. :thumb

Thank you for your comment Chris :thumb
IBA #38035
FarRider #189
Ulysses #42456

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2016, 05:01:21 PM »
Spanner are you sorted and ready?  Bloody cold down this way i am having a test run of my gear toomorrow:

New winter gloves
New LED lights
New thermal clothing
New riding boots

Am giving everything a test run in the 0 degree cold toomorrow  to see how everything is for comfort and the like, i am still getting used to the minimal protection on the V-Strom compared to the ST13
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Online West Aussie Glen

• old fart
  • Willetton, Perth
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2016, 06:53:35 PM »
STRay (Roo Killer) is going.
Glen
Sold
1948 James 98cc 2 Speed, 1969 Suzuki A100-2
1970 Suzuki T250 Hustler, Honda CL100
Yamaha RD250C, 1985 Kawasaki GPZ250
BMW K75S, 78 Yamaha XS11
Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe, 88 GL1500
99 SE GL1500
In the shed
85 Kawasaki LTD250
88 GL1500 Outfit
08 ST1300
2013 GL1800
2013 GL1800 Outfit

Offline spanner

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2016, 07:46:00 PM »
Spanner are you sorted and ready?  Bloody cold down this way i am having a test run of my gear toomorrow:

New winter gloves
New LED lights
New thermal clothing
New riding boots

Am giving everything a test run in the 0 degree cold toomorrow  to see how everything is for comfort and the like, i am still getting used to the minimal protection on the V-Strom compared to the ST13

Yep still going ...... Really don't know what to expect on the trip as it is still stupid hot up here in Townsville.  29 deg yesterday! Spoked to be winter god damnit.

I have go a full faced balaclava with a long neck, some of those heat pads for my boots and some reasonable gloves. 

I'll be relying on the OzSToc jacket to keep me top half toasty.

It's the bottom half I am most worried about.  I think it's going to be cheap flanny tricky daks and jeans. I hope to god it does not rain!

Most of the COLD part will be in qld as I am doing the early 3 am leave from tvs so the cold morning won't be NSW cold!

The aim is to arrive in Parkes about 0100 and jump into a very hot warming shower and bed at the hotel.

See you all there.
F.R. #905

I.B.A. # 63008

Offline spanner

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2016, 04:26:29 PM »
Leaving in the morning at 03:00 from Townsville and anticipated arrival will be 00:50 sat morning at Parkes. 

Safe journeys to all attending
F.R. #905

I.B.A. # 63008

Online West Aussie Glen

• old fart
  • Willetton, Perth
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2016, 01:01:29 AM »
STRay (Roo Killer) is going.

Update, STRay has had to cancel
Glen
Sold
1948 James 98cc 2 Speed, 1969 Suzuki A100-2
1970 Suzuki T250 Hustler, Honda CL100
Yamaha RD250C, 1985 Kawasaki GPZ250
BMW K75S, 78 Yamaha XS11
Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe, 88 GL1500
99 SE GL1500
In the shed
85 Kawasaki LTD250
88 GL1500 Outfit
08 ST1300
2013 GL1800
2013 GL1800 Outfit

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2016, 09:09:00 AM »
Update, STRay has had to cancel

Trust he's OK.
I'll be heading off shortly on Part 1, then return home for kip and resume Part 2 tonight.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927