Author Topic: Fatigue and Motorcycle Touring  (Read 4880 times)

Online StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Blackwood, SA
Fatigue and Motorcycle Touring
« on: January 15, 2013, 10:07:09 AM »
Here's link to another great article, with tips on how to deal with fatigue while long distance riding.

http://www.rcmedic.com/images/MotorcycleFatigue.pdf
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

BSA M21 600cc single (1948)
Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

Offline Whizz

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Paul. Ipswich, QLD.
    • Instrumented Control Solutions Pty Ltd
Re: Fatigue and Motorcycle Touring
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 10:35:56 AM »
What a fascinating article. A really good read and very informative!!

Ta! :thumbs
Cheers,
Paul
:13Candy
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is!!
Red, 2004, ST 1300A

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 09:50:40 AM »
Here is an post I submitted on FarRiders' Website Jun '11, regarding how I plan my longer rides with regards to fatigue, stamina, comfort etc.....

I recently attended FR#16 at Euston for a neat 3432km round trip.
This involved early starts, long days in the saddle, and backing up the next day for more of the same.
Although most enjoyable in every aspect, I take the planning stage very seriously, and the endurance/awareness side even more so.
I have been building up my stamina, endurance capabilities, hydration management and long range farkle assistance etc etc etc skills for well over a year before I thought I was ready to attempt the challenge of a FarRide. (I gave Mitchell - FR#14 a miss because I did not think I was quite ready yet).
I kept going out on ever increasing loops from my home testing....testing farkles, airhawks, handlebar risers, highway pegs, ear plugs/phones, camping and brief stops equipment, windscreen positions etc etc.

You can tell that I take the operation (and especially prolonged operation) of a motorcycle very seriously. For the newbies, this FarRiders' forum is an absolute goldmine of information on the prolonged operation of a motorcycle in two ways:
1 - it provides excellent links to informative, researched documents on the effects of fatigue and how to recognise the early stages of it, and its effects on the body's ability to perform - this also goes for the safety side of the machine's operation; AND,
2. - the depth of the knowledge and experience of the people (experienced FarRiders) who frequent this site is absolutely invaluable! I haven't met a FarRider yet who isn't helpful, friendly and willing to pass on their own experiences to anyone who asks anything of them.
Home on Monday from my 3432km FarRide to Euston, I had another 800km round trip to my daughter's Formal, held in Bundaberg on Wednesday. Although this trip was to be in the 'tin top' (yeah, I know! Sorry! - but I had to wear a 'bag o fruit'), I was very aware of the kms I had just done, and put in to practice all my endurance and planning skills for this trip.
I was to leave work at 1.30pm, do the 'Formal' thingy, and return back home the same night, ready for work the next morning.
It was 400kms each way with a dinner/dance in between. I planned it much like a FarRide. The traffic was treacherous (B-dubs and roadtrains - even at 2am) I took two stops on the way home - a snooze and a coffee/walk around stop near Gympie. I got home at 3am and woke to my alarm at 5am. I was remarkably OK the next day and surprised myself at my endurance. The cage trip was one of HEIGHTENED AWARENESS because of the number of trucks coming the other way.
There were no sphincter puckering moments because I took this drive by the balls and owned it - like the FarRide.
I monitored my awareness/fatigue levels like a hawk!
I can't tell you how much I would rather miss out on a FarRide check-in window, than risk anything grave to get there.
I urge you newbies to 'become great at your trade' as there is no end of support here to make sure Rule #1 can be followed each time.
I was pleased that I now have the tools and capabilities to do the Bundaberg thingy SAFELY because of advice and documentation I have accessed on and because of, this site - and these great people.
If I arrive feeling refreshed and aware, I can tell that I did everything right.
Diesel gets to ride again because of GOOD decisions - make sure you ALL are the same.
See you out there - anywhere, anytime.
Take care villains.....Cheers, Diesel   
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 09:56:24 AM by Diesel »
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Offline tj189

• Brisbane
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 05:27:32 PM »
 :thumb
IBA #38035
FarRider #189
Ulysses #42456

Offline macdoc

• Canuck Down Under
    • Cassowary Mac iPad & Mac rentals and support
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 05:14:54 PM »
Hmmmph was just thinking about that factor.

I did a couple of days back to back recently- long days - not particularly long distance.

Thought I felt okay - especially the best day I had on the ST1100 yet ....really starting to wear the bike instead of just ride it.
Second day on the KLR - droning knobbies and up the Daintree so a bit "pay attention" riding.

Got home...was tired but not overly.

Got up in the morning....felt loggy....went back to bed....6 bloody hours later  >:()

Clearly I was bagged. Makes me think doing multiple day rides are we setting up for risky riding a few days in??
Canuck rider in Cairns for 3 months yearly. Gettng roots down in the area Mac & iPad rentals with a riding buddy. http://www.cassowarymac.com.au Send friends

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 09:45:40 PM »
One or two days pushing it long distance are ok, it is getting into the day  after day long distance riding that tests the physical and mental side of things. It is not something that anyone can assume they can just do with no preparation.
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline macdoc

• Canuck Down Under
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 10:04:36 PM »
all of my rides so far have been 2-4 days max tho The James Bay road had 2 x 1,000 km days in that. The long days that far north made it not so bad and I actually was less tired than my much younger riding partner.
I suspect the Russel DayLong seat had much to do with that.

I was intending a 7-8 day tour down to Brisbane this time here but  really was concerned I'd use my energy just getting there and back from Cairns..

Considered trailering it but then cost, flight etc plays a role.

have to think about it next year and maybe meet the bike in Brisbane where I have a spot to hang out and do the ride then as I'm coming in the dry season if all goes as planned.

Curious as to how often people take breaks and how long the breaks on all day rides?

Are they planned or just off the cuff.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 10:13:21 PM by macdoc »
Canuck rider in Cairns for 3 months yearly. Gettng roots down in the area Mac & iPad rentals with a riding buddy. http://www.cassowarymac.com.au Send friends

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 10:34:41 PM »
Depending on who you are and how you ride is how you take your breaks.

All of my longer rides are planned so i know my distances and destinations (of course things change but I like a basic plan)

As for breaks and riding, I like to be up early and get a couple of hours done before breakfast, it is amazing how you can handle a days riding if you get get the majority of the work done before lunch.

Breaks wise, I like to stop every 1.5 to 2 hours generally, have a good walk around, and hydrate.

But also I have learnt from many a distance rider you will feel better if you keep moving around on the bike.

I also like to go for a walk of some sort after getting off the bike for the day just to get the body moving.

But the more days you ride long distance, the more your body will struggle to bounce back, budget in rest days into your trip, allows yourself recovery time, and also let's you see some of the places your traveling to.

Take a look at the member map, there are OzSTOC members all over the place who are more than happy to catch up for a coffee, meal, or even might be a spare bed for you...

All thoughts from my side of the fence.
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline macdoc

• Canuck Down Under
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 10:42:08 PM »
all good thoughts.

My first long ride on the ST was not good - the lambswool seat locked me in without being able to shift around and I did not have the cruise control.

Paid for that the next day.

Next longer ride I had the risers, the cruise and most important the BeadRider on and what a difference.

I learned my lesson about hydrating...on one long ride on the TransCanada in Northern Quebec. Into bright sun all day and it was only 9 degrees when I started out so did not feel like I was losing water.
Caught up with me later.

I don't break enough - tend to lock in and go - and that big tank makes it possible.
The Burgman max is about 200k on a tank.
The KLR and the ST will go further.

I do stop for photos but sometimes don't get off the bike.

The walk around is a good idea.

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2013, 12:13:43 AM »
Planning is a key issue with any LD ride. More important is being aware of your own limitations. I prefer to ride during daylight hours but don't have an issue with night riding if I need to do it.

After several return trips between Adelaide and Port Hedland and a couple return trips from Karratha to Perth I've worked out that an 800km day ride is about my limit. So I'm happy on that 600 to 800 km range.

My trips are planned down to fuel stop level and entered as way points in my GPS. I don't plan my overnight stops but start looking for suitable sites about two hours before sunset. That's the independence you get when you have a trailer.

I get off the bike often usually every 100 kms, just long enough for a drink and to get the blood flowing.

Funny, the people I worked with in Karratha thought I was a bit strange wanting to ride 1600 kms (over-nighter) to Perth to visit my sis when I could take the plane and be there in a few hours. At least I was seeing a little bit of the country rather than look at the back of a seat.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 12:15:17 AM by alans1100 »
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline macdoc

• Canuck Down Under
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2013, 12:19:13 AM »
Yeah Europeans don't understand Canadian or Australian distances.

100 km breaks hmmmm.

What's your comfort speed ? ie 100, 110 etc

Do you have the touring screen on ?

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2013, 11:09:25 AM »

100 km breaks hmmmm.

What's your comfort speed ? ie 100, 110 etc

Do you have the touring screen on ?

100 km breaks........that's an average.......will vary depending on temperature and time of year so any distance between 50 and 150 kms.

Comfort Speed.......I just set the throttle lock at 90-95 kph and let the lay of the land determine the speed.

I have an aftermarket screen (see link) on which is about 10-12 cm taller than standard. It's just high enough for the air flow to go over my helmet rather than at eye level which the OEM screen did.  http://ozstoc.com/index.php?topic=1868.msg17540#msg17540

Speaking of comfort, I replaced the OEM seat and made up a seat cover as shown in link. http://ozstoc.com/index.php?topic=1869.msg17541#msg17541

Online Lionel

• Legendary Member
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2013, 12:07:41 PM »
One can "train" for LD riding. Start out small and increase riding distances.

I've had a lot of experience working through the night and continuing on the next day without sleep. For me, that's a bonus when it comes to LD riding.

On the way to Middleton I rode a stretch of 2,000 km in 24 hrs then rode on to Mildura to stay with friends. I only stopped for fuel and to help out a motorcyclist with a flat rear tyre north of Holbrook.

This is a draft plan of a 2,500 km LD ride in 24 hours that I want to do.

ETD     Location From                Location To                        Distance 
5:30   Macdonald's Yass           Wyndham St, Forbes           215.0
7:50   Wyndham St, Forbes      Bathurst St, Cobar              393.0
11:37   Bathurst St, Cobar        William St, Broken Hill        457.0
15:34   William St, Broken Hill   BP, Port Augusta                409.0
19:26   BP, Port Augusta          Glendambo                         289.0
21:58   Glendambo                  Shell, Coober Pedy              254.0
0:13   Shell, Coober Pedy         Glendambo                         254.0
2:29   Glendambo                    BP, Port Augusta                289.0

I have allowed 10 mins at each stop to refuel and stretch my legs.

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2013, 12:34:54 PM »
Well there's LD riding where you go from point A to point B within a certain time period

and there's the much more relaxed LD riding which is more for leisure.

Both require different levels of fatigue management and planning.

Offline Gatey

• ST Legend
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2013, 11:15:31 AM »
One thing I like to do as pre LD prep is get some good all day casual rides going. Between 400 and 600 km with plenty of off bike time but with that need to be home and not just sit under a tree all day. The more frequency your on your bike the happier it all is once the big game starts.
This type of build up gives me a chance to ...notice things on the bike and get re acquainted if I've had time out for a bit. The reasoning behind this ploy is simple. Your not all that far from home and if things go wrong then a fix isn't a major project in recovery. So your mind is now focused on this ride today...not on the whatif's.

I have a good understanding of how I roll these days and thrive on the new road's thing. These I sometimes plan into a trip to give me a tactical lift and my mind goes into writing mode. Its amazing how far that can take me. Even on my own dung heap I try to look into whats going on about me as I pass by. Notice crops or new houses or something out in the landscape and even stopping to take a pic. Thats training just there. Stopping for that photo re enforces the rest and walk thing..even just a few minutes.
Little prompts like the bump as you go onto a bridge might be the signal to stand up on the pegs for a bit and re position myself when I sit down. All the stretching and bike bound exercise gets done even just going 40 km into town for the mail. Its second nature now...and its that second nature thing that makes for a better LD finish for me. Doing things in auto mode helped me yesterday with a new bike and a 500 km + trip. Very different bike but most of the same rider needs and distance to enforce that.

I well remember my first 800 km day only weeks after getting my bike. Latter came 1600 km day's and how things have changed since. The next big day was a 2000 km job and new lessons to learn there too. I know that these days a trip of that scale is done  better still. And my understanding of preparation is better now than even just a year or so back. Little things like taking only what I really need. And that's only possible from having a plan and researching the places on the route. Even things like understanding your bikes tyre wear and knowing that at point X you can get tyres. Knowing that info now put's your mind at ease, free then  to focus on other more pressing stuff...like rest and rehabilitation. Both major factor's in the back to back stuff as I see it.

And of course the one biggy. Knowing when to stop and giving yourself permission to do so. It is all too easy for the tyro to think they need to push on. Its a trap that I expect many distance riders have at one point or another had to deal with. Ive been guilty, got a fright and woken up to the issues be they wildlife or stress or any other fatigue related thing.

All my ride plans these days have within them a start and the desired finish point. That finish point is always any place after mile one and the destination. Its my ride , my skin, my pride.
Persevere...My Dad did.
FarRider #269..IBA#54983
One of the Barraba Crew