Author Topic: LDRiding in hot weather  (Read 5186 times)

Offline tj189

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Brisbane
LDRiding in hot weather
« on: August 16, 2014, 08:29:38 AM »
As the new OzSTOC jacket nears completion and that there have been a number of riders worried about the lack of mesh I thought it might be a good time to provide some information  regarding LDRiding in hot conditions.  In the paper it uses the magic number of 93 degrees Fahrenheit or in rounded up terms we use here, 34 celcuis. This number suggests, that below this, then riding fast enough to get wind against your skin with a mesh jacket would feel great.  Unfortunately when we are out riding we can normally expect a wide variance in temperature, so it is now a matter of deciding what suits your style of riding as to what jacket you use and how you use it.

from the IBA:
http://www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine/IronButt_1002_62-66_Hot.pdf
IBA #38035
FarRider #189
Ulysses #42456

The following users thanked this post: ST2UP

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
Re: LDRiding in hot weather
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 12:44:49 PM »
That is an excellent article that dispels quite a few misconceptions.

One strategy LDRs use in the States in extreme temps (over 100oF) is to pour ice cubes down their jackets and stuff the pockets with them.    :grin
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Poppy Dave

• Teller of Untellable Jokes
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Midland, WA
    • Dave Roper
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 11:46:56 AM »
I don't do any long distance riding but living in WA even short rides can get uncomfortable in the summer months.

I bought some LDComfort clothing ( I know we've posted about this product before but some riders may have missed it ) some time ago and can't recommend it enough. It really DOES keep you a lot cooler.

Poppy Dave                                          :wht13
Dave R
Honda ST1100A
Suzuki Boulevard C50
STOC # 8241
SAC-PAV A/501

We know why dogs stick their heads out of car windows.

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
  • Tasman Peninsula, Tasmania
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 02:28:56 PM »
LD riding in HOT weather in Tassie :H............nup, don't hafta worry about it........ha! :grin
There are many paths to the top of the mountain.....but we all need to find our own way!

Online Williamson

• UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 03:35:39 PM »
LD riding in HOT weather in Tassie :H............nup, don't hafta worry about it........ha! :grin

Not sure about that, as HOT is a relative term. 

On the Two Weeks in Tassie, we took some "warmer" type riding gear, not the "full on cold" gear we use in VIC during our winter months.  Anyway we weren't equipped with the correct "weight" of gear for the "Indian Summer" weather we experienced in the first two weeks of March. 

Phil on the GSX1400 with side car toured in T-shirt, shirt (with sleeves rolled up) and a leather vest.

I, on the ST1300, was wearing by 600D cordura DriRider jacket, sans liner but with T-shirt - and I was HOT, some days uncomfortably so.  I wished I had taken my Draggin (Kevlar lined) jacket.  Next time I will.

Next time?   There's the Ulysses AGM 29 February to 6 March 2016, another weeks earlier than Two Weeks in Tassie, I'll be taking some light riding gear for Tassies' Hot Weather.

Cheers,  Williamson (AKA Michael)

Motorcycling, the best time you can have with your pants on.
eBiking, the second best time you can have with your pants on
Afterlife, up there for the climate, down there for the company.
If I'd known I was gunna live this long, I woulda looked after myself better

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 04:38:54 PM »
The hot weather advice is pretty well what I have learnt from experience.  In hotter weather getting out of the hot air blast is a must, as the drying effect is really debilitating.  Slowing down the body's cooling mechanism to what it would be without the wind blast is a must.

Around town perhaps mesh and minimal covering might work, but on extended distance rides it just dries you out and makes you start feeling bad. Some coverage and controlling the cooling effect of natural skin processes is best.
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

The following users thanked this post: Shiney

Online Wild Rose

• Toowoomba, Qld
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 06:27:19 PM »

I bought some LDComfort clothing ( I know we've posted about this product before but some riders may have missed it ) some time ago and can't recommend it enough. It really DOES keep you a lot cooler.

Poppy Dave                                          :wht13
  :like Just wet your LDComfort clothing on a Hot day and open the vents on your jacket and it's just as good as a air conditioner  :like
Leo (Wild Rose)
Honda ST 1300
:rd13       :blk13                            :Spyder
 2002                            New 29-04-13 

Ulysses #49154
FarRider #243

Offline HunterTodd

• HunterTodd
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 06:30:42 PM »
Somewhere back in my dim past I got and air conditioning and refrigeration engineering certificate and what that guy says tallies pretty much with what I learned.  I was at QME recently and saw a guy selling a thing called an Arctic Vest. Has anyone used one of those. It looked the goods. He reckons it would drop your temp by ten degrees for two hours before you need to wet it again.

Online StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 06:41:29 PM »
I don't know about the Arctic Vest, but I've got one of these for very hot weather.  http://www.coolweave.com.au/vests.htm   Soak it in water and wear it under a mesh style vest, and it keeps me cool for a couple of hours.  If you leave it dry, it will keep you warm in the cold weather.
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

BSA M21 600cc single (1948)
Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

Offline HunterTodd

• HunterTodd
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 06:52:35 PM »
I don't know about the Arctic Vest, but I've got one of these for very hot weather.  http://www.coolweave.com.au/vests.htm   Soak it in water and wear it under a mesh style vest, and it keeps me cool for a couple of hours.  If you leave it dry, it will keep you warm in the cold weather.

These one were similar but they had a special gel material which gets cool when it absorbs water.

Offline tj189

• Brisbane
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2014, 07:36:57 PM »
maybe we could use one of these   :think1
http://www.coretemperaturecontrols.com/index.html
IBA #38035
FarRider #189
Ulysses #42456

Offline Wombattle

• ST Owner
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 08:12:29 PM »
Excellent article that one.  I ride summer and winter with LD comfort long sleeves an tights under the Waterproof KLIM Latitude suit.  The bit of air up the sleeves and vented out the back strategy works a treat for me into the high 40's. I've never opened all the vents, only just enough to get the air flow where it's needed. Bedouin tactics. Thanks for the link TJ.
Craig
Riding around on MYST.

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
  • Tasman Peninsula, Tasmania
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2014, 11:12:57 PM »
Ha ha! Williamson, my comment was just :p

Yes, we do have some very hot days here, and in summer I ride with a short RJays mesh jacket with just a T shirt underneath and I find that perfect for the really hot days, the jacket has a waterproof liner that I drop in if it gets a little cooler, and I find that works for me, I also have a short Dri rider Comfort Control jacket with liner that I wear in the colder months, and a really good short Teknic leather jacket that I paid top dollar for eight years ago, that I don't wear all that often anymore...not sure why!  All my jackets have shoulder, elbow, and back armour, and I never ride without a jacket, no matter how hot it is!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 07:54:44 PM by Couch »
There are many paths to the top of the mountain.....but we all need to find our own way!

Offline curious1

• ST Legend
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2014, 07:12:17 PM »
Thanks guys for sharing your experiences in hot weather riding. Most of my riding was in europe and heat was the last problem I had. Cold was the major thing.
I have not ridden yet in very hot weather in australia but thanks to the warning I will prepare.
ST1300
NC750
E-Bikes
Pedal bikes
Uni-cycle

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2016, 11:53:17 AM »
Thanks again for posting that article TJ  :clap was a very informative read again  ++
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Offline WendyL

• RTE Coordinator
  • Extremely nice person, angelic even....
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2016, 12:55:23 PM »
I missed this first time round, but basically it supports what I've already learned works for me.  White mesh jacket is for around town, where I'm likely to get stuck at traffic lights and radiation becomes a much greater factor.  OzSTOC jacket for longer trips.  I also wear compression garments from Shark Leathers, long legs and sleeves and fill my 2.5L Camelbak with powerade/water combo at every fuel stop.  Great read though  :thumbs
:KissBlow
Wendy
2005 ST1300
FarRider #913

Offline Brian

• ST Immortal
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2016, 06:46:00 PM »
The hot weather advice is pretty well what I have learnt from experience.  In hotter weather getting out of the hot air blast is a must, as the drying effect is really debilitating.  Slowing down the body's cooling mechanism to what it would be without the wind blast is a must.

Around town perhaps mesh and minimal covering might work, but on extended distance rides it just dries you out and makes you start feeling bad. Some coverage and controlling the cooling effect of natural skin processes is best.

It saddens me to read these older poSTs and come across one of the many informative injection of information from John..........he left a legacy of wisdom .......gone but not forgotten
I jus wanna ride my bike

09 ST1300 Charcoal Metallic (Grey GhoST)
09 ST1300 Candy Glory Red (Red MiST)