Author Topic: Re: ST1100 power loss Question  (Read 6105 times)

Offline hobs

• ST Legend
Re: ST1100 power loss Question
« on: May 02, 2013, 10:26:22 AM »
Hi HT,

I will start the flood of requests for advicefrom your valuable experience. Have an ST1100 that prior to my ownership was sat idle and neglected in the previous owners yard for 2yrs. Have repaired, rebuilt, replaced and polished the poor neglected STeed. Have pulled the carbys off and cleaned out the jets, checked the diaphrams and put back together. Have removed and cleaned the tank form residue and old gas. Bike starts every time, cold or hot, idles reasonable, but lacks power, seems to not pull on all cylinders. Had it briefly looked at by bike shop before moving to SA, who advised me to run some carby/injector cleaner to clean off any residue. Have done that for 2 tankfulls and seems to run better, but not right.

What do you advise for my next actions to determine cause of power loss. Am working in Whyalla at moment and professional advice is Adelaide, which is a bit far away to drop in on.

Cheers,
Hobs

Offline Abe

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • 4D Gang Member
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 04:06:32 PM »
Hi Hobs,

I had a flat spot in my 1100 when I first got her, but all good now as I did:-

Adjusted float level
Adjusted pilot jet
Replaced carb insulators (4) make sure they are secured with clamps.
Carby sync on the 3 adjustable carb's (No.4 is not adjustable, and if correct your base for the others)
Replaced air filter (K&N)
Replaced spark plugs

In the Haynes service and repair manual for 90-01 models states:-

Poor running or no power at high speed

Air filter restricted
Spark plugs fouled, defective or worn out
Spark plug caps or HT wiring defective
Spark plug caps not in good contact
Incorrect spark plugs. Wrong type, heat range or cap configuration.
Ignition control unit defective
Ignition coils defective

These are just a few things you can start checking and crossing off the list of possibles.

Cheers
Dave
At my age " getting lucky" is remembering what I came in the room for ;)

:wht13      Cheers Dave
Member of the 4 D Gang

Offline honda tech

• ST Legend
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 05:04:43 PM »
Hi hobs.
Ok. Good job for striping and cleaning the carbs. First thing that should be been done.
As said about. Spark plugs and air filter replace. There not expensive and a good thing to do anyway. Plug oil and filter if its not been done. I've had a few 1100s that have been stood and the carbs leak a small amount of fuel in the motor. So do that if not been done.
Also with the fuel cleaner. It's a gimmick thing. They don't work.
I do use a engine conditioner by three bond that is the bees kness. It's tricky to use it but works 100% of the time. Best stuff ever.
But... Before that. I'd do a valve clearance check. And check the fuel lines etc. also I've found bees nests and even rats nests in air boxes etc so check that.

Please don't go changing air/fuel mixtures. Useless someone's played with them they don't need adjusting. Check the plugs colors.
Give all that a go and let me no how you go.
Good luck.
Ht

Offline saaz

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Canberra ACT
Re: Re: ST1100 power loss Question
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 06:04:51 PM »
Quite often a simple spark plug change does wonders, and as HT says is a cheap thing to do
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline hobs

• ST Legend
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 10:57:24 AM »
have changed the spark plugs already to see if that help. Just about to go out and fiddle and see what I can and maybe chance on the problem. Will not 'tweek' anything that I can't 'untweek' if need be. Hopefully will find something that works.

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 11:32:40 AM »
Don't forget you have a Honda dealer nearby in Port Augusta which will be where I'll be taking my bike for my upcoming fork seal replacement.

1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline hobs

• ST Legend
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 09:05:03 PM »
Had a talk with the Port Augusta shop last Thursday regarding doing a tune-up. He told me he doesn't have any equipment to do it. He would just be fiddling around to get it right and could spend a lot of time on it and it wouldn't work out. he suggested I take the bike to Adelaide. He wasn't helpful at all. Offered no suggestions. I took the fairings off this morning and checked out the carbys for anything obvious. Found that it is a fuel problem, sprayed a little fuel into the carby intake and it lifted the revs as normal, indicating a fuel issue. There was plenty of spark. Put some carby cleaner into the tank and went for a run. If it doesn't fix the fuel issue I will remove the carbys and strip them down to find the fault. The fuel issue is on one side only. Will keep you posted
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 09:08:30 PM by hobs »

Offline honda tech

• ST Legend
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 09:39:44 PM »
A Honda dealer not having the tools to service a Honda. Really. Never. Haha.
Well if your revs pick up when your spray fuel around the carbs. Then it's not a fuel problem it's a air leak problem. It's common with high Kms bikes. I would check your carb balance block off bungs. I bet one has cracked and drawing air in. Don't just look at them. Take them off and check. If not check the intake manifold rubbers. They can also crack doing the same thing. My guess is the bungs. If it is. You can just replace them or find some pipe cut it to length and put a bung/small bolt in the end so you can get to them easier when wanting to balance the carbs.
Hope it helps. Let me no if there's anything else or you still can't find a problem.
Ht

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2013, 10:41:35 PM »
]
Had a talk with the Port Augusta shop last Thursday regarding doing a tune-up.

We're heading over your way around the 12/13th May and calling into the Honda place on the way past.

I'll see what they say about giving mine a tune up though I'm only going for a price on doing the fork seals and adding progressive springs.

I'm sure a dealer of any brand has to meet minimum standards and should be able to do repairs etc to all if not most models that the brand sells.

1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline hobs

• ST Legend
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2013, 11:35:42 PM »
Thanks for the advice HT. Do I have to take the carbys off to do this check? The Honda guy in Adelaide told me to do the spray test and said it would be a fuel problem if the revs increased. Will this problem only effect one side? Thanks again for your advice, very much appreciated. The bike has done 82,000 klm.

Hobs

Offline honda tech

• ST Legend
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2013, 08:33:06 AM »
You can just see the bungs with a touch. They will be just under the carb rubbers. Look like rubber nipples. Sometimes guys put screws in there to block them off.
You can also see if the carb rubbers are cracked at the same time. The carbs are a pain to get off but you have done it before so not so bad.
Ok so what happens if its cracked or the bung is cracked....
It will be drawing in air from that cylinder and causing that cylinder to run rough. You can hear it if its left unplugged etc.
best thing is to spay again on each one. One at a time. Should tell you the one./ones its leaking from.