Author Topic: Jaws of life for a filter removal  (Read 7843 times)

Offline BigTed

• Was: 2010 ST1300A (Black). Now: 2021 BMW r1250rt
  • Legendary Member
  • Perth, WA.
    • The Nook
Jaws of life for a filter removal
« on: September 02, 2012, 07:27:38 PM »
I decided to change the oil and filter yesterday - rather that waiting for our maintenance day next week... minimising the crap that I'd need to take.

So,...
Oil - check
Filter - check
Torque wrench - check
Maintenance manual - check

Ready to go... oh - wait, I'll need something to take the filter off (put there by the "Bike Doctor"). Off to my local Malz and I buy one of those windy-strappy things from Supercheap ($18) that tighten around the canister as you wind it up. Given the limited space under the ST I thought this more appropriate.

Now I'm ready.

Right. I figured the first thing to do would be to loosen the filter (not remove it) before I warmed the bike and drained the oil. Well, that bloody windy-strappy thing didn't last....

Bugger. I then realised that the can of the filter had deformed quite badly - it was strangled.  I'm not aware of the internal composition of the filter and therefore, wasn't sure if the bike was still rideable.... I wasn't intended to find out.

So, off to the local shops again... luckily there's an AutoOne, Repco, Supercheap, and Malz all within about 200m of each other (South Central Jandakot)... they all had different cam-based wrenches, but only Malz had one small enough ($20). As I was walking into Malz I had vision of needing to punch a screwdriver through the filter... luckily I didn't need to:

Using a socket, as you unscrew, the jaws tighten. I did struggle a bit with the space and had to keep loosening and repositioning it... at one point a jaw was jammed a little between the top of the filter and engine. Eventually I got the filter off:

While you can just see the teethmarks left behind by the cam-wrench, you can easily see the deformed can caused by the strap.

In the end I'm damn glad I did this at home and not at the maintenance day.... having several shops to choose from in close proximity made it a little less-stressful.

:blk13
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 04:06:50 PM by BigTed »
Rob (in Who's Who)
STOC# 8422

"And yet it moves." - Galileo.

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
Re: Jaws of life for a filter removal
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 08:10:28 PM »
You shouldnt need to go to those extremes, the filter should be done up  by hand  and the tightened a little more. (after putting a smear of oil on the rubber seal) until it engages the seat. All by hand
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

The following users thanked this post: Wayne D

Offline BigTed

• Legendary Member
  • Perth, WA.
    • The Nook
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 08:11:40 PM »
You shouldnt need to go to those extremes, the filter should be done up  by hand  and the tightened a little more. (after putting a smear of oil on the rubber seal) until it engages the seat. All by hand
absolutely correct - the Bike Doctor won't  be doing that again!  >:(
Rob (in Who's Who)
STOC# 8422

Offline Malcolm6112

• Legendary Member
  • Armadale WA
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 08:51:39 PM »
Good to hear you got the filter off. It shouldn't be that tight though.

I've found the strap filter removers the best to use.

:blu13
Malcolm
2004  ST1300A

Farrider 518
IBA       58213

Offline ruSTyEB

• Occasionally 2Up
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 11:21:59 PM »
For me, off I use big-ass multigrips to break the seal if tight, then undo by hand.  On, a bit of oil as Brock says on the rubber and hand tighten.

Question though, does everyone replace the sump drain washer every change, or at other times?
Martin
 -- 94 ST1100 R --
Made in Hamamatsu

Offline STeveo

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 07:33:28 AM »
I use big multi grip to slip between the lower fairing and pipes to loosen the filter. I don't replace the washer unless it needs to be replaced because of damage.

:bl11

terrydj

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 07:51:28 AM »
I just belt a screwdriver straight through the side of it. Then give it a turn :thumbsup

Offline BigTed

• Legendary Member
  • Perth, WA.
    • The Nook
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 09:21:31 AM »
I just belt a screwdriver straight through the side of it. Then give it a turn :thumbsup
That was my last resort if Malz didn't have what I wanted. I was really concerned that whatever I used to get it off, I'd leave part of it behind still attached to the engine block.

It did make me wonder though.... what is the standard filter that comes with the bike as new? I know Ma Honda uses rediculous torque to assemble in the factory.  Please don't tell me it's HiFlo - otherwise I'll starting thinking the original filter has never been changed. :eek

Now I've got a K&N with an easy-to-remove nut welded on the front.  :)
Rob (in Who's Who)
STOC# 8422

terrydj

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 10:31:49 AM »
Its always my first resort :thumbsup

Offline saaz

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Canberra ACT
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 04:50:59 PM »
I use a cheap metal strap filter tool from supercheap (use it on the cars as well) It is a metal band with a simple screw on it to loosen/tighten. A screwdriver through it has the advantage of draining the oil out though...
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 10:29:36 PM »
Those metal band jobbies are the ant's nickers.  You can tighten the gripper as much as you like, at any angle, and you have heaps of leverage- probably the same leverage as a typical screwdriver assault.  I'll post a pic tomorrow (it's too cold and dark to go out to the shed now).

The nice chromed Malz jaws certainly look impressive, and a reasonable price considering the engineering involved.  Logically they should shift any filter since the harder you have to turn, the tighter they grip.  The advantage of the band variety is you don't need much space to fit and move it.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 11:19:59 PM »
I use a cheap metal strap filter tool from supercheap (use it on the cars as well) It is a metal band with a simple screw on it to loosen/tighten. A screwdriver through it has the advantage of draining the oil out though...

Screw driver was my tool of choice on the bike oil filter until I bought a three filter set including a tool for removing the filter. Bought from David Silver Spares

Heather picked up something for tightening/loosening lids on jars etc similar to Supacheap tool only a rubber strip and not metal. Worked ok for me on last filter change
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 10:33:05 AM »
Here's the pic of the band variety.  There are little dimples pressed into the band to help with the grip.

Can't remember where I bought it, but most likely Supacheap Auto.
Big enough to fit any filter.  Small enough to fit ours.
Might help with the stuck jam jar that even hot water and curses won't shift.    :'(
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Paul

• ST 1300
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 12:35:34 PM »
 :thumb I've got one of these  :thumbs it gets more use in the kitchen, really easy to use on the ST. 
Paul.  :blu13

Here's the pic of the band variety.  There are little dimples pressed into the band to help with the grip.

Can't remember where I bought it, but most likely Supacheap Auto.
Big enough to fit any filter.  Small enough to fit ours.
Might help with the stuck jam jar that even hot water and curses won't shift.    :'(
Paul

Beer is proof that someone loves us!

Offline saaz

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Canberra ACT
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2012, 12:46:15 PM »
Thats the one I use, and it was from Supercheap. Great on jars as well
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline STeveo

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2012, 05:47:41 PM »
Works even better with a strip of rubber glued to the inside for better grip.

:bl11

Offline Aj1300

• aj1300
  • KTm
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2012, 07:23:52 AM »
I have the same as Bigggles and Paul, great for getting into tight places and you get plenty of leverage as well :thumbs :blk13
Adam aj1300/ KTM

Dennisgw

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2012, 07:55:39 AM »
For me, off I use big-ass multigrips to break the seal if tight, then undo by hand.  On, a bit of oil as Brock says on the rubber and hand tighten.

Question though, does everyone replace the sump drain washer every change, or at other times?

Simple answer is, No, probably find that most wouldn't. From the mouth of an ex vehicle mechanic, it is always good practice to do so.

When using a strap, I find it best to place right at the end of the filter or right at the top so that the end of the filter provides a bit of strength to prevent crushing.

Like what was previously said, when fitting the filter, take note about how much further it should be tightened once the seal makes contact. Usually about 2/3 of a turn.

Offline sargent

• Every days a new adventure
  • Legendary Member
  • ST Rider - Collector, NSW
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2012, 03:05:21 PM »
Had the same dilemma when I did my first oil change on the GSF1200 Bandit I owned previous to the ST.

Tried the strap first, wouldnt budge. :think1

Screwdriver through the filter and ripped it clean in half. :|||| Bugger... :cuss

Take of the exhuast headers, cut away the remain outer filter casing with tin snips and had to use a chisell to cut part way through the filter housing thread and then tap it around till it loosened.  >:()

Serious inspection of the thread on the engine and wash away all the crap, spun the new filter on BY HAND.

Had three services after that and never ever had and troubles, I purchased a similar over the filter tool with the three arms but only for ease because of where the filter is located on the bandits behind the headers.

Did not know the previous owner as I bought the bandit of a dealer as a repairable write-off. But if I did I would have :spank his butt for it.
Robert - White ST1100P (they're just better)