Author Topic: ecu reset  (Read 13075 times)

Offline Gadget

• UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Just Ridin'
Re: ecu reset
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2016, 06:21:11 AM »
That's great news Jdbiker. :runyay

Cheers,
Gary

sent using another of Gadget's gadgets.

Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Then  :blu13 Now :Spyder
Life's too short to be miserable, so enjoy it! :)
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Mob: 04 2448 3555

The following users thanked this post: Jdbiker

Offline Maxnettoz

• ST Legend
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2016, 07:56:14 AM »
Troops, I just performed the ECU reset but instead of waiting hours I simply disconnected the battery, turned the ignition on for about 3 minutes.  Then I turned the ignition off and reconnected the battery.  Start the bike and let idle until the the fan turned on then off.  (14+ mins on the clock).  My results are no more intermittent misfire at idle.  My exhaust is noticeably less rich.  Throttle response is now instantaneous.  I haven't ride tested it yet.

When idling the RPM was around 900 then at the ten minute mark the engine idle gradually rose to about 1100.  No misfire at all and silky smooth.

I haven't performed this procedure since replacing the battery 12 months ago.  This is my thought as a result.  Whenever you disconnect the battery for whatever reason, after the re-connection perform this exact procedure.  I basically connected the new battery started it and tool it for a ride up the road.  If the ECU was in reset mode when I did that for the last twelve months I have been riding with a poor map setting hence that little misfire at idle and the rich exhaust scent in the garage in the morning.

I run BP 95 or 98 fuel only and the bike now has 135K on the clock.  It is running like a new bike again. :runyay

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, Jdbiker

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2016, 08:33:13 AM »
I've been following this thread with a bit of scepticism, wondering why the ECU (whatever that is?) would need re-setting.  After all would not that have been done when the dealer when through the pre-delivery process when it was new?   Well, that might be a BIG ask!!

However, it makes sense to me that perhaps after a new battery has been installed, and this recommended process wasn't followed, the engine might not be running as intended.

Despite my ST 1300 being just on five years old, but bought "new" by me just over three years ago, and now with only 28K on the clock, it does not run as smoothly as I would like - after I installed a new battery around 18 months ago.

Troops, I just performed the ECU reset but instead of waiting hours I simply disconnected the battery, turned the ignition on for about 3 minutes.  Then I turned the ignition off and reconnected the battery.  Start the bike and let idle until the the fan turned on then off.  (14+ mins on the clock).  My results are no more intermittent misfire at idle.  My exhaust is noticeably less rich.  Throttle response is now instantaneous.  I haven't ride tested it yet.

When idling the RPM was around 900 then at the ten minute mark the engine idle gradually rose to about 1100.  No misfire at all and silky smooth.

I haven't performed this procedure since replacing the battery 12 months ago.  This is my thought as a result.  Whenever you disconnect the battery for whatever reason, after the re-connection perform this exact procedure.  I basically connected the new battery started it and tool it for a ride up the road.  If the ECU was in reset mode when I did that for the last twelve months I have been riding with a poor map setting hence that little misfire at idle and the rich exhaust scent in the garage in the morning.

I run BP 95 or 98 fuel only and the bike now has 135K on the clock.  It is running like a new bike again. :runyay

Methinks I'll give this a go.

And report back in due course.
Cheers,  Williamson (AKA Michael)

Motorcycling, the best time you can have with your pants on.
eBiking, the second best time you can have with your pants on
Afterlife, up there for the climate, down there for the company.
If I'd known I was gunna live this long, I woulda looked after myself better

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, Jdbiker

Offline Jdbiker

• NR2024 Rally Team
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2016, 12:26:47 PM »
Took the ST for a short run up to Garfield and breakfast, found it much more responsive and smoother, idles steady at just below 1000 rpm. Best indicated mileage at 100kph on the freeway was 25.6 kms per litre. Average mileage started at 14 now showing 18.9km/l and climbing. Very happy with outcome, thanks again Lonerider for finding this. Will get a clearer  picture of mileage once I have done couple of tanks and do a km/l calculation, used to get around 20km/l with pillion and fully loaded.

Jdbiker.
2008 red ST1300A
1980 Yamaha XS 1100
1974. Yamaha TX 500 sold
1984   Kawasaki GT 750
1975  Honda GL1000 selling

Honda XL 250 sold
Suzuki TS 100
2000 Honda ST1100P
1988 Enfield Bullet 350
 1941 Royal Enfield WD/C 350 engine
2021 Royal Enfield Bullet 500
2024 Honda Transalp coming

The following users thanked this post: Shiney

Offline Jdbiker

• NR2024 Rally Team
  • ST Legend
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2016, 12:41:28 PM »
Picture of blocked 5 way connector and throttle bodies. Pic shows blocked pipe which goes to cyl 3 and 4. Incidentally spark plugs 3 and 4  were fouled.
Jdbiker.
2008 red ST1300A
1980 Yamaha XS 1100
1974. Yamaha TX 500 sold
1984   Kawasaki GT 750
1975  Honda GL1000 selling

Honda XL 250 sold
Suzuki TS 100
2000 Honda ST1100P
1988 Enfield Bullet 350
 1941 Royal Enfield WD/C 350 engine
2021 Royal Enfield Bullet 500
2024 Honda Transalp coming

The following users thanked this post: Shiney

Offline Skip

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2016, 06:15:59 PM »
Early days for my report but after a 230km test ride, my  :blu13 returned 20.1 km per ltr and it certainly is smoother and pulls harder and more readily lower in the rev range. As previously stated, mine has returned 18 km per ltr for the past 9 years so I'm impressed so far. I was initially skeptical as I thought "What could following the aforementioned process do?".
I only had my battery disconnected for about 1 1/2 hours and the fan cut in at about 13 minutes. Will be a regular process after every battery change at least.
'15 BMW R1200RS
Getting wind in my hair while I still have some.

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2016, 10:51:08 AM »
Last week I did the ECU Reset on my ST1300 with 155,000km  on it, before a 600km round trip to the Riverland.   The reset went smoothly with no problems, and I report that I can't really notice any difference in idle, overall smoothness or power.   There may be a 0.25 l/100km improvement in fuel consumption, which is too little to be able to firmly attribute to the reset, and could easily be right hand, weather, speed, road conditions, or how I was holding my tongue.
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

Offline rally

• Rally
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2016, 11:55:28 AM »
 :rd13 :rd13 :rd13
Hi Chaps,

passed this on to my mate who has a 2004 model with ECU light (knock sensor problems).

Whilst it did not rectify the light coming on his bike is now running much better, more power and smoother and giving much more MPG.

He is happy with the result.

Rally Norm
Rally

Offline Maxnettoz

• ST Legend
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2017, 11:34:16 AM »
I have done this several times with good results.  Basically every service I do or anytime I disconnect the battery I perform the reset procedure.

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk

Offline JuST Peter

• Quakers Hill NSW
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2018, 01:04:40 PM »
About mid January I posted that my ST13 was playing up:
"Over the last few months since our Wooli AGM, the motor on my ST13 turns itself off when I come to a stop or slow down, then will come alive with a twist of the throttle. It's like someone has clicked the kill switch then turned it on again.

Other times trying to start it has resulted in surging between 1000-3000 revs and if I advance the throttle the surging still stays within that 2000 rev range.
I've had it in the workshop on several occasions, with one possible fix being to replace the battery, (which it needed in any case).

For a few weeks it behaved well, then went back to it's old cranky self.

The last time I left it there over a couple of weeks, for my mech to ride it himself and see if it would play up on him - which it did!
He thought it was the side stand switch, which when disconnected, seemed to fix it completely....for a couple of weeks.

I've since replaced the switch with a new one from Brisbane Motorcycles (https://brisbanemotorcycles.com.au) for $49. Good people to deal with and with very quick service. Two days delivered post free  :thumb

One thing I've found is if I turn off the ignition, wait a couple of seconds, then turn it back on, it's good for the rest of the day.
Weird!"

StinkyPete suggested an ECU reset from this post, which I did yesterday and gave the bike a good run this morning (it was up around 41 degrees yesterday), and found pickup has improved, performance is a bit like a sports bike, gear changes are no longer jerky and now much smoother.

Such a simple procedure with such surprising results.

Thanks Lonerider  :thumb
Ulysses #41044; OzSTOC #14
I love what I ride and ride what I love

The following users thanked this post: Williamson

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2018, 02:02:09 PM »
...... Methinks I'll give this a go.

The latest post from JuST Peter prompted to go back through this thread, and then I realised that I had not reported on my outcome of the ECU reset.

I guess it must be 14 months since the reset, but I recall that the ST1300 ran much smoother, easier to ride (at low speeds and particularly through tight twisty corners) no throttle snatching or jerking.

I've had cause to disconnect to battery two or three times over the 14 months and have noticed that each time the snatching and jerkiness has returned.  I didn't do the reset after the last battery disconnect.  This was because I was at Wooli, and it didn't think it would be too friendly to have the ST1300 at a fast idle at the rear of a couple of our colleagues' cabin at 7.00am on the Sunday morning.  Perhaps I should've said, "Stuff 'em", and had a more enjoyable ride home.

Anyway, bike is currently sitting in the garage, battery disconnected, ready for a reset.  I'll post an update ....... in around 14 months.
Cheers,  Williamson (AKA Michael)

Motorcycling, the best time you can have with your pants on.
eBiking, the second best time you can have with your pants on
Afterlife, up there for the climate, down there for the company.
If I'd known I was gunna live this long, I woulda looked after myself better

Offline JuST Peter

• Quakers Hill NSW
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2018, 02:10:16 PM »
...... Methinks I'll give this a go.

The latest post from JuST Peter prompted to go back through this thread, and then I realised that I had not reported on my outcome of the ECU reset.

I guess it must be 14 months since the reset, but I recall that the ST1300 ran much smoother, easier to ride (at low speeds and particularly through tight twisty corners) no throttle snatching or jerking.

I've had cause to disconnect to battery two or three times over the 14 months and have noticed that each time the snatching and jerkiness has returned.  I didn't do the reset after the last battery disconnect.  This was because I was at Wooli, and it didn't think it would be too friendly to have the ST1300 at a fast idle at the rear of a couple of our colleagues' cabin at 7.00am on the Sunday morning.  Perhaps I should've said, "Stuff 'em", and had a more enjoyable ride home.

Anyway, bike is currently sitting in the garage, battery disconnected, ready for a reset.  I'll post an update ....... in around 14 months.
  :rofl :rofl
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 03:18:27 PM by JuST Peter »
Ulysses #41044; OzSTOC #14
I love what I ride and ride what I love

Offline ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
    • "Destined to Drive" Driving School
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2020, 12:33:34 PM »

Waiting, waiting... :whistle

2005 Honda ST1300A

Offline ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
    • "Destined to Drive" Driving School
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2023, 01:59:01 PM »
Still waiting... :whistle

2005 Honda ST1300A

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech