OzSTOC Events National & Local > NEW ZEALAND

Travels of the NZ OzSTOC Flag - In Australia

(1/2) > >>

RGardner:
In May 2015 OzSTOC Exec kindly provided the fledgling NZ contingent with our own flag.

This Topic has been set up for posting photos of the flag as it travels our NZ icons. Please message RGardner if you are planning a trip and want the flag to go with you.

As circumstances would have it the flag returned to Australia in June 2015 as part of an ST tour around the Murray-Darling Basin (article http://ozstoc.com/index.php?topic=9560.0 ).

The first post is of that Murray-Darling River Basin and Great Dividing Range trip...

Rob
Palmerston North

RGardner:

Murray River, Mildura, Vic

SA/Vic Border crossing

Vic Border Crossing

Lock 2 on the Murray River, SA

NSW/SA Border Crossing

Lightning Ridge, NSW

Qld/NSW Border Crossing

Townsville, Qld

The flag with RGardner and Streak, Toowoomba, Qld

RGardner, Bathurst, NSW

Conrod Straight, Mt Panorama, Bathurst, NSW

In transit back to NZ, Mainfreight Depot, Botany, Sydney

winston66:
That was a great write up Rob, It looked as if you had a great time, I have itchy feet now.
You appeared to be travelling very light as far as gear and stuff was concerned ,
I liked the look of the tent and how you packed stuff on to the steed,
Could you give us some idea of what and how you packed the necessary.
 stuff for that little jaunt.
Cheers Winston66
Northampton WA.

RGardner:
Hi Winston66,

I think I’ve got my packing down to a fine art – for me at least anyway. The secret is to have a removable netting partition between the pannier main compartment and the lid.

On the back seat I strap down the tent, sleeping bag, self-inflating mattress and rubber ground sheet (Aussie Three Corner Jacks tend to make short work of air mattresses without a decent ground sheet). I also have a collapsible bag strapped there for a polar fleece, plate, cutlery and 2 thermal tops. The tent is a 3-man one so I can bring my riding gear in out of your night-time creepy crawlies.

Under the seat are tools and tyre repair kit.

Fairing pockets have tyre pump, sunglasses, glass cleaner, tissues, headlamp and a few more tools.

Road-side pannier is 5 changes of clothes, toiletries, micro-fibre towel, 1-2 cans of stew, muesli bars and small gas cooker.

Left pannier is first aid kit, ‘Camps Australia No. 7’ map book, billy, coffee, mug, bottle of wine, chips and general odds and sods.

And on the rider is the Camel Back, camera and GPS Spot Finder.

I actually have room to spare. I easily added to a pannier my flat battery when it failed and I picked up a temporary replacement one from ST2UP.

I tend to shower at roadhouses, caravan parks or council swimming pools ($4-$5).

I cook up a can of stew at my night camp site or eat at roadhouses or pubs.

PS: The bottle of wine and chips are essential while the tent goes up and the stew cooks. I have however learnt that half drunk bottles of Pinot Noir don’t survive well in 40 degree heat inside panniers while being shaken all day at 120km/hr!

winston66:
Hi Rob ,
That was a quick reply, I did not expect such a quick and comprehensive answer.
You certainly have this packing and travelling thing pretty well sorted out.
Good for you.
I will try to remember some of your ideas just in case I decide to do a bit of touring in the future.
Cheers , Winston 66, Northampton WA,

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version