Author Topic: Plastic Welding - Courtesy of John g  (Read 1058 times)

Offline Shillas

• SA NatRally 2022
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Better Red than Dead
Plastic Welding - Courtesy of John g
« on: November 15, 2018, 08:38:11 PM »
A tale of craftmanship.

Back in July last year I managed to let Candy fall over as I was walking her back to her park after cleaning her and getting her ready for a ride to Melbourne for a family event.

The result was a smashed mirror and broken housing. I taped the housing up and rode with it for over a year until I bought the 1300 when I decided I could go a few weeks without riding Candy while getting the housing repaired.

This is where John g comes in, a rider of a  :bl11, who has his own plastic welding operation and spray booth. John attends the RTE's and at the Meningie RTE in September I finally handed over the housing for repairs, together with the paint code.

The photos attached speak for themselves, a marvelous job that can't be distinguished from the original, and for the fraction of a price that a new or second hand housing would have cost, especially if having to match the paint.

John also does a pretty mean job at furniture making, his other trade, if you're looking for some pieces.

Very happy camper here  :girl-blowing-kiss-smiley-emot
Shillas :13Candy

CB 125 - long gone
RD 200 - long gone
CB 250T - long gone
XJ 650 - reasonably long gone
XV 750 - reasonably long gone
VN 800 - gone
ST 1100 - recently gone
ST 1300 - In the garage

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, johnnyYTED, Scarlett Thunderbolt, Jdbiker, John g, Langers

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
Re: Plastic Welding - Courtesy of John g
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 01:31:32 PM »
Great to have that capability among us.
I note John is in S.A., but I'm sure Auspost can find him with smaller items.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927