Author Topic: Bodø's Halls Gap Trip  (Read 13077 times)

Bodø Glimt

Re: Bodø's Halls Gap Trip
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2017, 12:04:18 AM »
Let me google Tolkien.

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2017, 04:47:55 AM »
Day Four Trip Report

Upon sunrise I departed Saint George and dropped into the local servo to check my tyre pressures.  I thought overnight would test how well my plug was holding out.  Seemed okay.  I went inside to see if they sold emergency repair kits and was promply told "we're not open yet".  The lights were on and the electric doors worked so why would I know that.

Where the fucheng hell is Westmarr?  Having lived in Japan for a long time and speaking Japanese this sign got my attention as I wizzed past.  Okay, it's Chinese but I did major in Chinese at university.

Having seen many of these I am beginning to think these are tyres in their natural habitat.

In Dalby I saw my first traffic lights since leaving Cobar two days earlier or maybe it was Broken Hill the previous day.  Nevertheless my first thought was I have returned to civilization.  Dalby was pretty big.  I wanted to have a look around but by the same token wanted to get to Toowoomba before bike shops closed to get an expert opinion on the tyre I punctured the previous day.

In Charlton just east of Toowoomba I stopped to make another check of my tyre's pressures.  All was well so I made the executve decision to skip looking for a bike shop and proceeded on to Brisbane.

The heat was getting to me a little so I stopped at Haighleigh (Ipswich) for one final rest break and a caffeine boost) after which I was good as gold.  Once I hit the Ipswich Road Cornwall street in intersetion all the old memories of living in Brisbane in the nineties came back to me so I turned up Cornwall street and followed that and subsequent roads to Carindale shops before checking out Carina bus depot where I used to work.  I then checked out another one in Capalaba before heading off to my mate's place where I shall spend three nights (last night being the first).

I might go and have a look at North Stradbroke Island today but not decided on anything as yet.

Apologies for the boring photos.  The better ones are in my digital camera and I shan't be going through them until I return to Adelaide in two weeks' time.

Spotwalla is doing a wonderful job.

https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=16e5c59f2f18c38b7a

« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 04:36:11 AM by Bodø Glimt »

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, Jdbiker

Offline Cerebral Knievel

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • The last of the 4 D's
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2017, 07:01:29 AM »
You were a mere 900m away from Alternative medicine central  :beer 
2003  :slvr13  2005  :blu13  1999 :gldst11                                           
               2008  :blk13 1996  :blk11

National Rallies 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2022 2023 2024

Current Fleet:08 ST1300,96 ST1100,05 R1200RT(busted sump)

Bodø Glimt

« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2017, 12:23:52 PM »
I didn't know it at the time.   I'll be passing that way again shortly.  We're on the ferry from North Stradbroke Island.

Offline Cerebral Knievel

• The last of the 4 D's
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2017, 12:28:36 PM »
They have a %1 bayside breeze thats not too bad.
I am off to work now otherwise i'd join you for a few  :beer
Fear not i will be popping in for a few on Tuesday to watch the nags do laps.

Bodø Glimt

« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2017, 03:49:41 AM »
Day Five Trip Report

Yesterday we rode down to Cleveland and took the ferry across to North Stradbroke Island.  Despite living in Brisbane for a big chunk of the nineties I had never gone to North Stradbroke Island before.  Weather forecast was for possible rain but we never experienced any.  The roads were wet until we got to Capalaba but they dried up after that.  You could see coulds in the distance in this picture from Point Lookout but it was sunny for most of the day.

Spot was running but I also had the other gps tracker running.  It has its limitations but updates every fifteen seconds which lets Mrs Glimt know I am moving in real time.

I have no plans for today as yet.

Tomorrow I start heading south dropping into Wooli for a perve before settling into Grafton for the night.  The furthest north I taken the kwaka is Dalby in Queensland and I can't see that changing for a while (unless I go somewhere today).  The furthest east currently stands at Point Lookout on North Strabroke Island but tomorrow that will be replaced with Byron Bay.

Online Wild Rose

• UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Toowoomba, Qld
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2017, 07:36:20 AM »
Sounds like you are having a great time up in my back yard  :hatwave
Enjoy reading about your travels
 :beer
Leo (Wild Rose)
Honda ST 1300
:rd13       :blk13                            :Spyder
 2002                            New 29-04-13 

Ulysses #49154
FarRider #243

Bodø Glimt

« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2017, 07:39:28 AM »
I was in your back yard when I said happy birthday to Kev Murphy, hence the comment in that thread.  It's been great.  I am surprised at how much of Brisbane I remember even after all these years.

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2017, 10:03:42 AM »
BG, keep the pics and words coming.  If you feel the need for another selfie, please make sure it's in front of some iconic view or structure.  In the meantime ......
Tomorrow I start heading south dropping into Wooli for a perve before settling into Grafton for the night....

If you are riding the freeways, highways and main roads, ignore my suggestions.   On the other hand, if you don't mind some back roads and some rarely seen, spectacular views there are some worthwhile diversions through the hinterland.  I'll see if I can whip-up some maps.

When you get to Grafton, the Great Northern Hotel at South Grafton is cheap and comfortable, and if you get there on the right (or that could be wrong) night, there is some free 'entertainment'.  Let me put in this way, when Cookie ask how you want your meal served, "t!ts in" or "t!ts out", it's probably prudent to say, "in".

Cheers,  Williamson (AKA Michael)

Motorcycling, the best time you can have with your pants on.
eBiking, the second best time you can have with your pants on
Afterlife, up there for the climate, down there for the company.
If I'd known I was gunna live this long, I woulda looked after myself better

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2017, 10:07:27 AM »
Quick route:

Scenic route:

The scenic route is around 2hours 15minutes longer (according to Google Maps), but allow plenty of even more time for pics.

Enjoy .......

Bodø Glimt

« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2017, 11:02:25 AM »
Thanks for that.  I plan to avoid the motorway and have mapped out a preferred course.  I've done that for most of the trip.

Offline Cerebral Knievel

• The last of the 4 D's
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2017, 01:37:44 PM »
 :think1 you are sitting in a park on Ipswich rd while the kwaka is getting a service or a new tyre  :popcorn

« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2017, 02:21:12 PM »
No.  My mate needed to look at helmets so I went too, to replace the tyre repair kit stuff I used north of Bourke.  We've not ridden at all today.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 03:47:18 PM by Bodø Glimt »

« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2017, 08:50:32 PM »
Day Seven Trip Report

This morning I said goodbye to Queensland and began my descent south.  My mate said he'd come part of the way and that he had things to do in Burleigh Heads so we went there via Beaudesert.  Neither of us gave Gold Coast peak traffic a thought and payed the price for it.  Fortunately he lived in  Gold Coast in the past and a good knowledge of the local area otherwise it could have been worse.

I didn't plan on using the motorway but at point I wanted just get out of there so got on there to at least get to Coolangatta.  I eventually got off it at Mullumbimby only to follow the road and some how end up back on the motorway.  I did leave it again and head for Byron Bay.  Despite saying $4 for motorcycles at the lighthouse when I asked where to pay the parking attendant said don't worry about it.

Although a couple of hours behind schedule I was off the motorway and on the course I had planned for the day before leaving Adelaide.  Heading through the back way I spotted a shark that another Ozstoc forumite had posted on his facebook page and instantly recognised it.  I had to get a snap of it for myself.  :grin

I took the ferry from West Ballina to South Ballina.  At one point I thought I had missed the turnoff for it but was only metres before it when I opened google maps to check.  On the other side I saw a very very small post office in Empire Vale.  Post offices of this size are not uncommon in Japan but this is the first time I have seen one here.

A few miutes later I saw my first christmas decorations for this season.  It was very close to the Empire Vale post office but facebook tells me it was Wardell.  They may be right but they have been wrong before.

I checked out Yamba before fulfilling my main task of the day... dropping into Wooli, albeit two and a bit two weeks too late.  I can sort of justify having the shirt now.

I considered staying there a night but everythere was too pricey and I ended up booking a place in South Grafton.

Weather forecasts had be encountering thunderstorms so I was kit out accordingly, but in reality is I barely saw a drop.  To take it off and repack everything would have been quite a task so I persevered with it.  On the plus, I was completely oblivious to the melbourne cup.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 07:32:33 PM by Bodø Glimt »

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, Jdbiker, Shillas

« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2017, 07:49:01 PM »
Day Eight Trip Report

The layout of my accommodation mean it was impossible to gauge how dark/light it was by looking out the window.  Today would be the first day I encountered some serious rain on this trip.  It meant another day in hi-vis orange.

I came across a bin lid stand in Arrawarra Headland.  To be honest I never paid attention to these until one of my workmates showed me a facebook page devoted to them.  I don't look at that page but spot bins in that situation regularly since being told about.

I passed the big banana at Coffs Harbour and as it was conveniently sign posted I could manoeuvre to pull into it before whizzing past, which often is the case.  Due to the gloomy weather the picture was very dark but I did manage to manipulate it a bit.  Those privy to my facebook page may spot the difference.

I popped into a few places like Nambucca Heads before being bombarded with rain.

I saw signs for a tourist route leading back to the highway so I took up a challenge for a few of them.  I know this picture was at a town called Bowraville but I don't actually know where it was on the map.

Quite often something I see on my travels will have me singing some song in my head for the rest of the day.  Yesterday a shark had me singing the Toy Dolls and today this innocuous sign had me singing Echo And The Bunnymen's "Way Out And Up We Go"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLX7cEdO1w0

Not as exciting as the camel signs on the Nullabor but I saw a sign for horses and one for deer.  Anything makes an exciting change from the usual kangaroos and koalas.  I didn't snap the horse one because it was pouring and not safe to park.

I don't know if this is on the list of Australia's big things but stop and snapped it anyway.

On the border run I clocked 40000km on the kwaka in Western Australia.  I knew I would clock 50000km on this trip and was hoping it would be in Queensland but it was not to be.  I was in Raymond Terrace, New South Wales when I clocked it today.

Yesterday I noticed Spotwalla has started dropping some intermediate points in the earlier days of the trip.  I am currently in Gosford.  This is the closest I have ridden to Sydney.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 07:35:12 PM by Bodø Glimt »

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2017, 07:55:22 PM »
Rain, don't ya just love it.

...... I don't know if this is on the list of Australia's big things but stop and snapped it anyway.

I think this is Leyland Brothers' World.  Mike & Mal put some big $$ into it, had a falling-out, and went bust.

Bodø Glimt

« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2017, 08:05:14 PM »
I don't know the Leyland Brothers but you can find anything online these days.  Rain has it's moments.  Everywhere on tomorrow's course is forecast to be sunny.

Mrs Glimt will see the irony of the big banana as I am allergic to bananas.

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2017, 08:10:58 PM »
I don't know the Leyland Brothers but you can find anything online these days.  Rain has it's moments.  Everywhere on tomorrow's course is forecast to be sunny.

Mrs Glimt will see the irony of the big banana as I am allergic to bananas.

Time for a rest day.

Leyland Brothers - https://youtu.be/NXcFDdBxXFs

Bodø Glimt

« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2017, 08:06:05 PM »
Day Nine Trip Report

I already knew it before I hit the road but today would be the longest day I spent on the road on this trip.  Upon leaving Gosford my first destination was Wisemans Ferry via Spencer.

The ride from Spencer to there was very similar to many trips I have done in Japan... a winding road running alongside a river.  There quite a few nice sights there but very few places to take photos.  The hill climb on the other side of Wisemans Farry too was very good.  There is a lookout at the top which would have given a good view of the town but works in progress again meant I couldn't take photos.

I took three ferries today:  Wisemans ferry, Sackville ferry and Lower Portland ferry.

From there is was off to the Blue Mountains and the Bells Line of Road.  There was some awesome scenery to be seen there too but likewise there was very few places to park safely.  Next time I go there I'll put the gopro facing sideways and cruise on through.

In Bathurst I dropped in the Mount Panorama and did two laps of the Bathurst circuit, once in each direction.

River punts, the Blue Mountains and Mount Panorama... I was very content with my days work and from there pretty much went straight to my abode for tonight, Wagga Wagga.  I didn't stop for many photos in that time but I did when I spotted the tank that Williamson (or was it JD?) posted in the "where is this?" thread.

Tomorrow I enter Victoria.  Somewhere along the line I'll have to buy another usb hdd for my gopro files as I have filled up the current one.

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2017, 08:21:37 PM »
...... I spotted the tank that Williamson (or was it JD?) posted in the "where is this?" thread.....

Not guilty your worship!

...... Tomorrow I enter Victoria....... 

Geez, it'll be a slow ride to Halls Gap.   Have you got plenty of things to do before HG?   Need to see a friendly face?  Someone to talk to, besides yourself?

Bodø Glimt

« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2017, 08:59:43 PM »
My original plan was to leave Adelaide tomorrow.  Brisbane was tacked on afterward.  I'm not going straight to Halls Gap.  I'm meeting a friend in Melbourne on sunday, before doing the Great Ocean Road again.  The weather wasn't very good when I did it in 2014.

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2017, 09:49:33 AM »
A great collection of road-trip photos Bodo.  Good to be just rolling along, stopping for a pic whenever you see something that catches your eye.  I'm usually on a mission and just tell myself I'll be back sometime to get the photo.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Bodø Glimt

« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2017, 09:54:40 AM »
I do that too.  Especially if I've been going too fast to stop.

Online Jdbiker

• NR2024 Rally Team
  • ST Legend
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2017, 10:33:28 AM »
...... I spotted the tank that Williamson (or was it JD?) posted in the "where is this?" thread.

Wasn’t me either 🤓
Jdbiker.
2008 red ST1300A
1980 Yamaha XS 1100
1974. Yamaha TX 500 sold
1984   Kawasaki GT 750
1975  Honda GL1000 selling

Honda XL 250 sold
Suzuki TS 100
2000 Honda ST1100P
1988 Enfield Bullet 350
 1941 Royal Enfield WD/C 350 engine
2021 Royal Enfield Bullet 500
2024 Honda Transalp coming

Offline Cerebral Knievel

• The last of the 4 D's
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2017, 10:37:32 AM »
On the way to Neville Sidings RTE  :whistle