Author Topic: Melrose Ride To Eat  (Read 1162 times)

Melrose Ride To Eat
« on: April 08, 2018, 11:49:42 AM »
I left home in the dark like I almost always do.  It was beginning to get light at Lochiel and really should have stopped at Lake Bumbunga for a photo as the glow from the lake was pretty cool.  I had never seen in like that before.  Alas my first photo stop was at Snowtown.

When refuelling at Bungama (Port Pire for the uneducated ) I was approached by a truckie who say he wished all riders would wear hi-viz clothes like me although I had it on as an extra layer of clothing more than anything.  By this time the sun was out and it was beginning to get toasty.

I stopped for breakfast/coffee break in Stirling North.  It was 30°C by then.

When I did a trip around Eyre Peninsula and Leigh Creek in 2015 I had taken the road from Stirling North to Quorn and although it was short was an awesome ride.  I vowed to come back and do it again.  It took two and a half years but yesterday I finally did it.  The angle of the sun may ruin the video footage so next time if it's at the same time of day I shall try it in the reverse direction.  There was a nice view at the Woolshed Flat in Saltia but I couldn't bring the bike right up to it.

The Pichi Pichi railway is something I'd like to do with the family one day but the drive up here may be a bit too long for the kids.

Riding out of town I saw this sign.  All these towns were places I would traverse on the way home.  With the exception of Clare they were all new territory for me and even then Clare is somewhere I had only ever ridden through but never stopped to take a look.  Yesterday was no different.

From Wilmington I rode the Horrocks Pass to the Port Augusta Highway before turning back and returning.  That was pretty cool with the exception of one caravan that could have let the traffic behind him pass but opted not to.  I put the mobius on the topbox for the return part taking photos every five seconds.

Kim Jung Un... I dare ya !

I arrived in Melrose about half an hour early and took the opportunity to take a few photos in the back streets.  With a small turnout I didn't take a group photos but did snap  alans1100 and wildfireangle riding in.

I returned home via the towns mentioned on the sign above sidestepping to Blyth from Clare and going via Balaklava and Mallala.

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, Jdbiker

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
Re: Melrose Ride To Eat
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 02:08:54 PM »
Nicely done - thanks

Will take a copy of us on the bike.
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Bodų Glimt

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 02:22:08 PM »
By all means.

Offline Pete

• ST1300A
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 10:32:07 PM »
Well done Bodo.
Fantastic report.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Pete

Ulyssesian #56030
Red Metallic 2008 ST1300

Offline Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 03:48:49 PM »
Awesome RR, thanks for sharing mate :hatwave
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)