Author Topic: best way to start the day???????  (Read 2124 times)

Offline pault

• ST
best way to start the day???????
« on: January 21, 2013, 05:41:52 PM »
I have in other posts mentioned the circumstances which have befallen me at some cost.
This year finds myself having been riding for 40 years, good grief where did it go. Now I find myself getting up for a 4.30 am ride to work. Watching the sun rise across the valley while getting dressed and listening to the birds. Then  a 20 minute run through the hills and valleys before reaching the expressway.  What a wonderful way to start the day. After 40 years the magic is still there and even better in some ways. So while most my age are retired and still in bed when I get going, I am blessed with a morning ride which is the best way to start the day.

Offline Whizz

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Paul. Ipswich, QLD.
    • Instrumented Control Solutions Pty Ltd
Re: best way to start the day???????
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 06:37:10 PM »
Mate, it's good to hear that someone else is enjoying the early starts, I have for many years woken at about 5:30am, and it looks like I am going to be starting a new job in the next week or so which requires an early start, so I'll be doing the same thing...and I'm looking forward to it!
Cheers,
Paul
:13Candy
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is!!
Red, 2004, ST 1300A

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 06:51:47 PM »
I'm up around that time, riding into the sun. Unfortunately, the good feelings evaporate as I go through the gate into the RAAF Base.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 08:01:34 PM »
A Goldwing rider in our Church wants to start a morning ride before the Service fortnightly.  We did the first one yesterday, meeting fora 6:00 am departure, back for 9:00 Service, with brecky somewhere different every time.
I'd have to agree that this time of the year it's the time to ride- a sweet freshness in the air.
As a life-long owl, I'm unfamiliar with the wee hours before 8:00 (especially since 2004 when I quit doing pre-dawn pre-flight inspections with a torch in my teeth).
Might not be as keen in June.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 08:22:41 PM »
There's a 4:30 in the morning........really??? How long has this been happening !!!!!

Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Offline STeveo

• ST Legend
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 08:33:00 PM »
Every day apperantly. I have a recollection of being awake at that time once.

:bl11

Offline Whizz

• Paul. Ipswich, QLD.
    • Instrumented Control Solutions Pty Ltd
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 08:43:57 PM »
...but only because you hadn't quite made it to bed by then, right? :eek
Cheers,
Paul
:13Candy
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is!!
Red, 2004, ST 1300A

atoyot

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 05:39:55 PM »
I'm up around that time, riding into the sun. Unfortunately, the good feelings evaporate as I go through the gate into the RAAF Base.

Arg, that's the problem then; :o you need to go past the gate occasionally and keep riding! :grin It is one of the hazards of riding to work though. The temptation to miss the turn and then have trouble finding somewhere safe to do a U'ey. I've done it a couple of times on those exceptional mornings. You just need a good excuse for being a bit late! Throttle stuck, going too fast to turn in, brakes didn't work, you know the sort of excuse. Seriously, I have done it and it feels great! Of course, there is a balance between keeping a job and unfortunately, when you do eventually turn up, the feeling starts to go, but you get a lot further into the day than normal. My experience anyway! It also helps that I work in an area that is surrounded by an old street racetrack (Gnoo Blas - googloe that) and there is a brilliant left hand corner on the crest of a hill (Connaghan's Corner) that is fun at legal speeds in the reverse direction. Wot thuh

Offline Skip

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 07:00:56 PM »
I have nothing against sun rises. I just wish they'd happen later in the day. :whistle
Getting wind in my hair while I still have some.

Offline WendyL

• RTE Coordinator
  • Extremely nice person, angelic even....
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 08:47:24 PM »
There's a 4:30 in the morning........really??? How long has this been happening !!!!!

Yep, definitely exists on a Satuday morning, only half an hour after the local nightclub closes. I'm usually just walking in the door about then  :grin
Can't verify that it exists on other days though...
:KissBlow
Wendy
2005 ST1300
FarRider #913