Author Topic: LED headlights and spotlights  (Read 1932 times)

Offline Knave

• ST Legend
LED headlights and spotlights
« on: March 15, 2018, 02:50:47 PM »
I fitted a set of cheap LED headlight bulbs recently and was very impressed with the amount of light on low beam. However, high beam was not as impressive. I was also running two HID spotlights mounted over the mirrors which gave enough light to maintain open road speed limits.

When browsing through Ebay I came across two 5 inch LED spotlights for $100. They use 6 Cree LEDS and are supposedly rated at 6,000 lumens per light. I decided to buy a set to see how they performed against the old HID spots. I made some brackets up and mounted them under the mirrors. They are a great improvement over the HID spots. Not having to wait for them to warm up is a major advantage and the light is far more intense. They are quite a bit heavier than the plastic HID lights so I am hoping that my brackets are strong enough to take the weight over a period of time. Here's a photo of them mounted on the bike.

The following users thanked this post: tding

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
Re: LED headlights and spotlights
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 04:15:06 PM »
And you polished the bike for the photo!   :grin

6000 Lm is impressive.  My 3486 Lm from Jaycar do pretty well, so you're set.  Goodonya for making up brackets.  Hopefully they will do the job for you.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Knave

• ST Legend
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 06:31:33 PM »
You have a very keen eye Biggles! Yes, I had just washed and polished the bike. I would take the 6,000 Lm with a grain of salt. At the end of the day, it is if you are happy with the light output for the price that really counts.

Offline bloodbikes

• Legendary Member
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 07:52:51 PM »
I fitted led headlights, but I also went for led sidelights, led driving lights on the front forks, and the led indicator conversion, I’m really happy with the light output, full headlights are negligible but I’m thinking of adding led spotlights under the mirrors connected to full headlights.

Offline bloodbikes

• Legendary Member
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 07:57:25 PM »
In the daylight

:wht13

Offline Knave

• ST Legend
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 09:25:17 AM »
That's a nice setup. I have not seen LED side lights before. Very neat! :thumbs

Offline Gadget

• UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Just Ridin'
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 05:52:08 PM »
 very nice!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Then  :blu13 Now :Spyder
Life's too short to be miserable, so enjoy it! :)
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Mob: 04 2448 3555