Author Topic: clutch hydraulic fluid quantity  (Read 4905 times)

Offline Wheelbarrow

• ST1300A, Rockhampton, Qld
clutch hydraulic fluid quantity
« on: April 27, 2015, 04:04:06 PM »
Can somebody please advise how much hydraulic fluid the clutch system takesin a ST1300? - The manual seem to not indicate.

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
Re: clutch hydraulic fluid quantity
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 05:50:51 PM »
Would it be reasonable to suggest filling the reservoir, then pumping the system to distribute it until fluid appears at the bleed valve (keeping the reservoir topped up)?
Then bleed the system, aiming to end up with the fluid half-way up the visiglass.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Wheelbarrow

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 06:04:56 PM »
Yea but how much fluid should I buy?

Offline saaz

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Canberra ACT
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 06:08:16 PM »
A 500mm container should be plenty to do the clutch and the brakes, with some left over to do a car as well.  I tend to put the whole lot through as no use keeping a half full container as it gathers moisture.
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline simo

• ST Legend
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2015, 09:35:49 AM »
My clutch fluid is just below the lower level line on the reservoir. I want to top it up and not sure what to buy. Is it ok to buy normal brake fluid (dot 4) and top it up, or does the fluid have to be replace?

Also, at some stage I will need to replace the brake and clutch fluid. Is it possible to do this without bleeding the system. I was under the impression I could purchase a vacuum pump and cycle the new fluid through the system so as not to let air in - is this correct?

John

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2015, 09:40:15 AM »
Clutch fluid is brake fluid, so Dot4 is fine. It is ok to top it up, but it is a better idea to replace the fluid altogether, especially if you dont know how old it is.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline simo

• ST Legend
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2015, 09:42:17 AM »
OK Thanks Brock.

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2015, 09:51:30 AM »
When bleeding, I use a fluid of a different colour to make it easier to tell when the fuid has all been replaced.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Wheelbarrow

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2015, 09:53:12 AM »
Simo, I had the same issue. I bled the system and replaced the fluid. Like Brock said: Dot4.
I bought 2 bottles of 250ml each and I now got an unopened spare one. The clutch works like new. What a beauty.
Was an easy job really, even for a total newbie like me. Cheers, George

Offline simo

• ST Legend
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2015, 09:55:17 AM »
OK, Is it necessary to bleed the system or can the new fluid be pumped through? Can you suggest a vacuum pump to purchase that would be suitable?

John

Offline Wheelbarrow

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2015, 09:57:05 AM »
Hey Brock, I thought the fluid is all the same colour? I used Fuchs Silkolene which I bought from a Honda dealer. But I could notice the difference in colour from the old fluid coz it was dark and used. The new fluid is very light in colour.
Cheers, George

Offline Wheelbarrow

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2015, 10:01:30 AM »
I used a vacuum pump. It had a container where the old fluid bled into, therefore it was easy to monitor the fluid and notice when the new fluid arrived - without any air bubbles . But it can be pumped also.

Somebody told me to tie the clutch lever to the handlebars over night before the replacement . It opens the cylinder and let's any potential bubbles in the old fluid raise to the top into the reservoir. I've done it and worked well.

Offline simo

• ST Legend
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2015, 10:14:31 AM »
Great info. Thanks guys.

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2015, 12:32:48 PM »
OK, Is it necessary to bleed the system or can the new fluid be pumped through? Can you suggest a vacuum pump to purchase that would be suitable?

John

I did mine a few weeks ago with one of those bleeding kits. It also worked ok on the brakes a few months ago. I just let the fluid run out by gravity alone and kept the master topped......so easy.

http://www.linnbenton.edu/auto/brake/bleed.html
"Gravity Bleeding is very slow however I have found it very useful.   To gravity bleed all you need do is remove the cover on the master cylinder and open one bleeder screw.   Which bleeder screw you open depends upon the bleeding sequence.   Look it up and follow the proper order.  The brake fluid should slowly drip out of the bleeder screw.  Sometimes you need to add vacuum or gently step on the brake pedal to get the fluid starting to flow out the bleeder screw.  Using a clear tube on the bleeder screw can help direct the fluid into a container and avoid any brake fluid spills.   Using a clear tube will allow you to see when the brake fluid is running clear.  Give each bleeder plenty of time to drip, and keep the master cylinder reservoir full.  It may take 15 or 20 minutes per wheel so plan on doing other tasks while using this method of bleeding.  Do not open more than one bleeder at a time as it may allow air to be slowly drawn in to one bleeder while dripping fluid out the other.   Because it takes so long professionals rarely use this method however gravity bleeding can remove air that other methods miss."
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 11:24:18 AM by alans1100 »
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline simo

• ST Legend
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2015, 01:33:26 PM »
Thanks Alan, I had a read of the web link. Very informative.

John