Farkles, Gear & Accessories > Comms and Audio

Comms etc, what to do...?

(1/4) > >>

SteveR:
G'day all,
I'm in the process of sorting out the  accessory wiring on my bike, trying to workout what to keep and what to remove/replace. I guess first I need to decide where I want to go with it before I can work out where to start!

So, little background, this is ST2UP's old bike, he had a Comstar & UHF fitted, the guy I bought it from removed that setup, cutting the wiring, but leaving most of it in place. I still have the drivers Starcom plug socket & volume control there, as well as the PTT button. The back end (which went to the UHF) is a bit of a mess, haven't started to sort that out yet!).

So, I'd love some recommendations on a Comms system, if I can use any of the existing wiring, that'd be awesome, if not, well, that's just how it is. I currently use a pair of Aldi Bluetooth headsets, not bad, but not the greatest, and can only work with one device (ie, phone via Bluetooth).

My Wishlist:
-To be able to chat with pillion (and shut them up if needed...)
-Connect to phone for calls, and navigation directions.
-Connect to iPod for music/podcasts (I can do that through the phone, but I have to pre-load it, as there is only so much free space).
-Comm via UHF

Wired or unwired, I'm not too fussed, I don't like having to remember to charge batteries, but I also don't like jumping off the bike and forgetting to disconnect a cable! (Have done both, one is inconvenient, the other embarrassing, don't know which is worse tho!) Any recommendations on what might fulfil these needs, while not breaking the bank? I'm very open to the idea of older, 2nd hand equipment too, doesn't need to be the latest & greatest.

StinkyPete:
Your first decision is Wired or Bluetooth, and the reality is that no one else can make that call for you.     Wired has the advantage of never needing to be charged but you are connected to the bike.    Wireless is convenent, but needs charging.

After that, I'd have a chat with Dale McLean at http://www.dmme.com.au/ .  Dale is a Forum member and will be able to provide excellent advice about what products will meet your other requirements.

For what it's worth, I run a wired Starcom Digital system, with Pillion to Rider, CB Radio and Garmn GPS all routing through the Starcom hub.

SteveR:

--- Quote from: StinkyPete on October 22, 2015, 06:47:59 AM ---Your first decision is Wired or Bluetooth, and the reality is that no one else can make that call for you.     Wired has the advantage of never needing to be charged but you are connected to the bike.    Wireless is convenent, but needs charging.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, it's tricky... It's the sort of thing where, as you said, both have their pros & cons, I think I would just learn to live with whichever I end up getting, which is why I thought I'd look at what features are available, then see whether I can live with the format. Ultimately, I suspect I may lean towards wired, just for the longevity of the system, ie, batteries will eventually lose life, but a wire is always good (unless you do something stoopid...)

ST2UP:
PM Chops (Dallas) in Canberra....I mentioned your Starcom issue and he has removed his from his ST  :think1

After using Starcom, Bikercomm and SENA it a double  :thumbsup to the Sena for our us  ;-*

Its used for Intercom, GPS, Phones x2, Music sharing and streaming, UHFCB, Ship to Shore radio and satellite TV  :p

:beer

Gadget:
There is an unexpected advantage to bluetooth in that you can hop off the bike, leaving the helmet on, and still have comms. Great for short stops.

After my altercation recently with the ute, it was reassuring to hear the 4 B-doubles behind me being made aware that I'd come off and they were stopping.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version