Honda ST1300 Section > Suspension ST1300

Race tech gold valves front - Nitron R3 rear - Installed and reviewed.

<< < (2/2)

Shiney:
Thanks for the update mate, it's always good to get some real world reviews  :thumbsup

Hooda:

A great write up Lyndon,  especially with the backing review after a couple of years, hopefully that’s still the same after another two.
I have just recently got my ST1300A Project back together and whilst she runs beautifully, I found the handling was always lacking and frequently bottomed, especially after the resounding half & I both opted for the ‘big breakfast’ on our regular Sunday morning rides.   I also have an R1200GSA and its suspension has somewhat ‘set the benchmark’ so from comparison sakes, I went looking for replacement options.
After a lot of reading in various forums, reports & internet sensations self praising on you tubes, I was left with more questions that the answers I sought.   The one logical thing that seemed consistent was that a heavier spring was needed, however further reading indicated the Showa rear shock on the ST1300 is not repairable due to the inability of re-gassing.   

I called in to see  the ‘Shock Treatment’ workshop in western Sydney that you posted, there I learned more in an hour than the weeks online canvassing and was impressed to learn that they could do the rebuild & mods needed in their workshop.     A day later, ok 2 days & I filled the swear jar getting it out, I delivered the rear shock out to the Shock Treatment workshop, filled in the necessary weight details & left it for surgery.
1 week later & $700 outlaid, I have a transformed ST.     

You were right in stating that the upgrade to the rear shock makes such a noticeable difference.    2 clicks in on the preload now seems right for relaxed single riding when it used to be 2 clicks out, 8 clicks in when more spirited and around 15 clicks in when riding 2up.   I feel the front much better now, there’s no wallowing & can attack a corner without necessarily worrying too much about how lumpy the surface is.   I am yet to play around with the rebound damping as I’m impressed with how it is as standard.

For those who read this (in this current timeline) and are considering an upgrade, This option for me has ticked all the boxes, I found it has convincingly transformed the ride, is very smooth, definitely confidence inspiring, & quite affordable if your willing to take on the removal, the install thankfully is much easier.   I was originally considering upgrading the front forks but for now, the changes to the rear alone has seemingly lessened that demand.   We shall see if the need presents over time.

If interested, the website is http://www.shocktreatment.com.au

The shock after surgery. (Pic Attached)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version