Honda ST1100 Section > Honda ST1100 General Questions

Timing Belt for ST1100

(1/3) > >>

Brock:
Dont pay $$$$$ for your timing belt, A Gates T325 from Amazon is about A$37.00 .  (Get in quick, There is one left, I just ordered the other)

Apparently, Gates are OEM suppliers of many belts, and are of an excellent quality

STutter:
When does the belt need to be replaced Brock?

alans1100:

--- Quote from: STutter on December 16, 2012, 11:42:56 AM ---When does the belt need to be replaced Brock?

--- End quote ---

should be done at 150,000kms at the latest, at least that's what the manual I have says

mine's due........just have to get motivated to do it

RubenCan:
Thanks for the heads up Brock, I just ordered one and strangely enought it says that there is still one left, go figure. Expected arrival is 23rd to 29th of January. Now all I have to do is order a box of shims and I can spend a weekend tinkering to my hearst content.  :runyay

Ruben  :dred11

Greencan:

--- Quote ---Dont pay $$$$$ for your timing belt, A Gates T325 from Amazon is about A$37.00 .  (Get in quick, There is one left, I just ordered the other)

Apparently, Gates are OEM suppliers of many belts, and are of an excellent quality
--- End quote ---

Have had to replaced 2 timing belts on 1100's over the years and used OEM replacements on both occasions based on my rule of thirds...that is l figure if l undertake to do the work myself l will save two thirds of the total cost of replacing an ST1100 timing belt...the other third being the cost of the belt itself :)

Also the first 1100 belt l replaced had been VERY hard with it's first owner knocking up 150,000km in just 24 months...though this belt showed no visible signs of any damage it had however stretched 12-15mm more than the second 1100 belt l replaced on the bike l have owned since new. The point l am making is that l dont think the first belt could have broken if l had let it go a little longer...but this lenght could contribute to it 'jumping' a tooth :( I believe also the added would've caused the belt to FLAIL excessively between the 'driver' cam hear and the 'driven' (left), cam gear which has eventually given this engine noticably added engine rattles when not under load.

The point being that Honda state that the Honda ST1100 timing belt should be inspected at 100,000km AND if worn (excess stretch is worn), then the belt should be replaced then! So, how well do YOU know your bike?

A couple of tips if you plan on doing the replacement yourself...though not entirely necessary, remove both the front wheel and the front stanchions...2 advantages here, firstly it gives you more work room and secondly when returning the stanchions you can rotate them either 90 or 180 degrees so that the thrust side is given relief and thus decreasing the likelihood of seal leaks.

Secondly, it's been reported on some forums that you need to cut / Dremel a part of the plastic timing belt cover away in order to return it...this is complete rubbish...JUST take note in how you removed it!

Lastly, l used the OEM workshop (PDF), manual as my guide verbatim, particularly in relation to re-setting the belt tensioner.   

Ciao, the can :)
Sent from my iphone

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version