Honda ST1100 Section > Suspension ST1100

Melbourne Suspension Revalve

(1/9) > >>

Garry_Coates:
Hi I have been running my 1995 ST1100 for most of its life (128k) with:
1. White Power progressive forksprings, 10 wt oil, now with new seals and bushings
2. Nitron gas rear shock with ride height, compression and rebound dampening.

It is probably about 80% of its potential.

I should consider getting the nitron rebuilt soon and would like to find somebody in/ close to Melbourne who knows the ST suspension quite well as I would like to take the next step in realising its potential.

I have had two dirt bikes (XR600, txc310) revalved/ resprung for my size (196 cm tall, 115 kgs) it has made a huge difference. However, these shops do not know the ST.

There are plenty of guys around that will do the work for you at a price but it is guess work.

I am therefore interested suspension revalving work you have had done in/close to Melbourne.

Regards
          Garry

Garry_Coates:
I note that I have had plenty of views but no feedback on Melbourne suspension tuners. This confirms my own feedback.

In the mean time while doing more research I have found some useful information:

1. The OEM spring on rear shock has a progressive rate from 285 to 365 lbs/inch. This is where an average rate of 325 lb per inch comes from.
2. Those of us who use the WP proline fork spring 9932.0203.A have a progressive rate from 0.92 to 1.22 kg/mm. This works pretty well throughout the range and I would only consider a straight rate 1.2 if get the forks re-valved to suit.
3. WP recommended only 428 lb/inch rear springs for their ST shocks which is at the low end of the range of after market shock springs. I run a 425 spring on the Nitron that was guess work at the time in 2005. I am probably now convinced to consider a 475 inch/inch. Others have used/recommended up to 575 lbs which seems very hard for our bumpy roads.

I am interested in what those that have changed the fork valving have found. For example:

1. Does the ABS side really have any compression dampening when brakes not applied? I assume it has minimal rebound.

2. Is it possible to replace the ABS side fork internals with the cartridge components from the RHS. Has anybody done this?

Hi SAAZ I understand you have changed the valving on both sides? Anybody else?

Regards
           Garry

alans1100:

--- Quote from: Garry_Coates on December 05, 2014, 06:32:08 PM ---

1. Does the ABS side really have any compression dampening when brakes not applied? I assume it has minimal rebound.

2. Is it possible to replace the ABS side fork internals with the cartridge components from the RHS. Has anybody done this?

Regards
           Garry

--- End quote ---

Ok, you have the first generation ABS which is an add on to the standard 1100 and what you see as the ABS on the LH fork is probably the anti-dive unit attached to the lower calliper. It's the reason why the internals are different on each side.

Item 36 here http://www.st-1100.com/st1100-parts-fiche-front-fork-st1100as.html

At nearly 169,000 km on mine I don't have an issue with the OEM progressive fork set up apart from the usual fork seal replacement.

You could check out http://www.suspensionshop.org/index.php they're located northern suburbs of Adelaide

Piet:
Hi Garry,

I did go for 1.2 Kg/mm fixed rate springs in my non ABS forks.  I am very happy with them.  I do feel that I have much more travel available, they feel good and it certainly gives the impression of being more stable.  I will off set that by saying I don't push it hard so I am no expert.  Regarding the rear, I chose Progressive 465's and am very dissappointed in the rebound adjuster.  It lacks feel.  I don't know that its works correctly.  In fact it is so sloppy I would guess that it is not adjusting anything.  Very dissappointed.

I hope you find someone technically savy on the ST susspension that can help you with the re-valve possibility.  I am very interested but am unable to help in any way.  Whatever you find please keep us informed.  I for one watch this space with interest.

Garry_Coates:
Hi Alans100 and Piet. Thanks for the feedback. I replaced my fork springs in the first year because of chronic understeer for my 115 ks weight. The standard OEM springs are only 0.61 kg/mm which is not much more than I run on my XR600 which is 139 kgs wet. In fact most tuner graphs show them too soft for just the bike weight with no rider.

I understand the ABS fork internals (non-cartridge) as that type was in all my bikes until ST (23 years). What I do not understand is is exactly how Honda has got both dampening types working together. Is all the rebound on the cartridge side ?

The two biggest improvements the Nitron rear shock gave me was ride height adjustment and rebound. Ride height took 50kgs of the steering. Getting rebound right also the improved the dampening at the front! It would patter and I thought it was not compliant. Piet I would suggest finding a shop that services your shock because something sounds wrong.

Regards
          Garry

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version